XFX 7850 install problem

GregTombstone

Limp Gawd
HI Got a biostar I45 tpower running a quad and at present a HD6570. Win 8.1 pro 64 bit

Installed a new XFX R7850 and booted. Screen displayed boot splash screen for 5 seconds or so as normal and then went blank. Machine seemed to continued to boot as the hard drive light was working away.

My PSU is 500 watt but I had to use a 6 pin pci express adapter to give power to card. There is a 4 pin molex power connector on mb but i have never plugged power into as i assumed you dont need to since card has pci express power.

I put old card back in and its running fine. so any Ideas?

1/ should XFX run on the existing catalyst driver until I un-install same and reinstall latest with mantle. Should I have removed drivers with old card in and then swap cards and boot again in vga, install new driver etc.

2/ do I need to use the graphics power connector on MB as well as the PCI express power connector.

Hope you can help BF4 awaits !!!

1/ should XFX run on the existing catalyst driver until I un-install same and reinstall latest with mantle. Should I have removed drivers with old card in and then swap cards and boot again in vga, install new driver etc.
I would uninstall all amd/ati drivers reboot into safe made and use ddu to clean old amd drivers (theses an option for installing new card)
2/ do I need to use the graphics power connector on MB as well as the PCI express power connector
It never hurts to have that plugged in...I believe it supplies additional power for the mb in case the card is drawing to much power from the slot....it might work without it...but it cant hurt to use it either..and it might be needed

anyways then just install the newest whql drivers and all should be good

Thanks prime time. I'll give that a try. Nagging feeling I'm going to have to get a new PSU as existing one in short on cables and connectors and I don't fancy using a lot of splitters etc !

Thanks primetime again for your advice. Card is working well and bf3 maxing out on ultra. BF4 is now playable on high.

Back