XBOX One S Fan Noise

exostrife

n00b
Looking for some input from others who have them in case I'm just being obsessive and crazy.

I got an XBOX One S (White) for xmas. Due to moving etc. I didn't get to set it up until a couple weeks ago. Right out of the box I knew something was wrong with the fan. It was super loud (like I could hear it over my 1970's furnace running from 10 feet away) and had distinctly "grinding bearing" lilt to it. Note this is just out of box, plug in, go to setup screen--no load, no high speed etc.

I swapped it for another one, and the new one was much quieter, but it actually had the exact same sort of grinding bearing tone to it--just a lot quieter. Said differently, the 2nd one sounds exactly the same, just half volume. Again this is no load.

So I got a third. Its got a slightly different note but still gives me a basic vibe of grinding bearing. It at least doesn't say "Hey I'm dying here" but it doesn't fill me with confidence or happiness either.

Is this just how these sound?

Take it apart with a Torx security bit or something it's probably the cheap Fox Conn Fan they use nothing you can do about it except maybe have the console farther away. The holes in the plastic might be causing turbulence or sound.

Looking for some input from others who have them in case I'm just being obsessive and crazy.

I got an XBOX One S (White) for xmas. Due to moving etc. I didn't get to set it up until a couple weeks ago. Right out of the box I knew something was wrong with the fan. It was super loud (like I could hear it over my 1970's furnace running from 10 feet away) and had distinctly "grinding bearing" lilt to it. Note this is just out of box, plug in, go to setup screen--no load, no high speed etc.

I swapped it for another one, and the new one was much quieter, but it actually had the exact same sort of grinding bearing tone to it--just a lot quieter. Said differently, the 2nd one sounds exactly the same, just half volume. Again this is no load.

So I got a third. Its got a slightly different note but still gives me a basic vibe of grinding bearing. It at least doesn't say "Hey I'm dying here" but it doesn't fill me with confidence or happiness either.

Is this just how these sound?

Why do you still buy consoles that rely on crappy cooling fans to function? If you keep paying for badly designed products then companies won't stop offering them to you.

Back