Xbox One officially drops mandatory Kinect

Haters gonna hate. PC gamers gonna wait until they see a compelling reason to shell out. Fanboys gonna say 'I told you so!'

In short, though this is a good move, nothing will change.

I guess the kinect is integrated and can't be removed from MS was complete bullshit...just stop the dam lying.

Microsoft is so pathetic. They have zero confidence in their own designs and goals. I actually do now see a Kinect free version coming.

Yea with this change it pretty much confirms a 399.99 version I would think.

This doesn't change anything for me, I preordered it anyways. I do think a kinectless xbox bundle will make things interesting if there is one at launch.

LOL @ XBONE. How anyone can have confidence in this company... I will never know.

XBONE is the best!... said no one ever.

This gives MS an easy path to increase sales with a price drop selling Kinect free version. I suspect it will still launch with Kinect only, but if Sony starts pulling out a lead they can quickly add another SKU at $399 (or cheaper).

they must have seen the pre orders, to backstep THIS far?
so, they have done nothing but lie to us for the last 5 months....

eat a dick MS...

MS would be stupid to not sell a cheaper version without the Kinect bundled to compete witht he same price as a ps4.

They didn't "officially drop" anything. That's one MS rep speaking to the best of his knowledge. Only a few months ago the UK marketing director said "Kinect does require to be connected to Xbox One in all cases, yes," http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...inect-attached

So I'd wait until launch day before making any assumptions. This is certainly a good sign though. Now they just need to offer a SKU without the spy sensor for $399

They didn't "officially drop" anything. That's one MS rep speaking to the best of his knowledge. ...

So wait until launch day before making any assumptions one way or the other.

Xbox Corporate Vice President Marc Whitten revealed that Xbox One owners will be able to use all of the console's core functions regardless of whether the new Kinect sensor is connected.

Just one random MS rep speaking to the best of his knowledge eh? Did you even click your own link, or did you just go full retard on the internet?

Yay red text, Jerry, YAY.

After a Microsoft-hosted London event around the Xbox One reveal, Xbox's UK marketing director Harvey Eagle has said that the console will not function without Kinect connected.

"Kinect does require to be connected to Xbox One in all cases, yes,"

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-will-not-function-without-kinect-attached

Again, I'll wait 'til launch day and people are actually reporting it functions without Kinect and that this isn't some PR spin bullshit. Like I said, its a positive sign.

MS said a metric shit ton of stuff at E3 that they have changed their kinds on. This isn't MS delivering an inconsistent message, they are pulling a 180 due to feedback and presumably low preorder numbers.

Is there anything they actually haven't did a 180 on? Even the hardware specs have been changed.

I love it. When they do enforce this dumb policy , public outcry. When they do a 180 on it , public outcry.

Jesus. Calm the fuck down.

I knew this would happen, MS has to be smart enough to sell it for $399 without the kinect now

I love it. When they do enforce this dumb policy , public outcry. When they do a 180 on it , public outcry.

Jesus. Calm the fuck down.

Well now they pissed off the people who actually wanted the Kinect too. Since it isn't required, many devs won't worry about supporting it.

Well now they pissed off the people who actually wanted the Kinect too. Since it isn't required, many devs won't worry about supporting it.

As long as they sell it with every system it should get support. If they sell a non-Kinect version at or near launch and it is more popular than developers won't take the risk.

This is good. Sony needs competition. Consumers lose when there's only one option.

MS should have partnered with the Oculus and put them in with the 360's instead of Kinect, I think that would have been something a lot more people would have been interested in and it would have been an advantage for both sides.

As long as each system comes with one I don't think it'll matter too much. The developers know that if they make use of the Kinect, every system will have come with one. If there are people who don't hook it up, they'll just have to make sure they make a game compelling enough to get them to plug it in.

Fuck you Microsoft for responding to market forces and player feedback! Yeah, you bad, bad bunch of people! :rolleyes:

We need to get the gaming community and media to start calling the thing the Xbox 180 or 180 in all discussions and articles. It would be very fitting.

Looks around for $399 console without an included Kinect... Still not there.

Only $50 difference between the PS4 and Xbox One in Australia...because Sony jacked up their price $150 ($550AUD) while MS jacked it up $100 ($600AUD).

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/12/xbox-one-no-longer-requires-kinect-to-function

I suppose it is definitely officially the "Xbox One(-eighty)" at this point. Now, if they decide to offer a Kinect free version for $399, then I might actually jump on the bandwagon. A lot of my friends are still going with MS this generation, so being able to play with more people is a pretty large incentive.

Would it bother you if they kept the kinetic hardware in the device and sold it for $399 and charged you $100 if you wanted to enable it?

Two more steps microsoft. Offer a non-kinect bundle and remove the paywall for services that should be free!

people are so whiny. I'm still inclined to get a PS4 over an XboxOne. However now that kinetic is not required I may reconsider. I don't want to pay for it and I don't want to leave it out cluttering up the entertainment system.

As long as they sell it with every system it should get support. If they sell a non-Kinect version at or near launch and it is more popular than developers won't take the risk.

When did it become such a high risk proposition for developers to add kinect support, jesus its an API call, they don't have to invent the damn thing. "Well boss I'm afraid we'll have to begin the layoffs, we lost MILLIONS adding kinect sword swinging™ to our dungeon game nobody bought, MILLIONS"..

And frankly, the Wii U serves as a cautionary tale here. It is being sold at a loss, mostly because the touchscreen jacked up production costs. They did that so the controller would be an integral part of the hardware. They did that so the user base wouldn't be split. And you know what? It hasn't resulted in any extraordinarily clever use of the touchscreen at all. Even Nintendo can't seem to come up with a compelling use for it. Pikmin 3, arguably the best game on the console right now, treats it as a complete afterthought.

So I can do without arguments that an optional Kinect somehow stifles creativity. The Kinect's earlier version has been around for years. Nobody wants it. Including it as a forced addition has nothing to do with anything except targeted advertising and struggling to recoup R&D on the device.

Last edited:
After lying to us for FIVE months MS can eat a bag of dicks. Bungie is no longer MS exclusive and Halo 4 became a cheap COD clone.

Sad what a directionless, spineless, greedhole MS has become.

What I find funny is that the majority of people who will buy one of these probably have no clue about all the back-pedalling and bullshit policy changes microsoft has pulled and honestly don't care. They will just see "new x-box!" and pick one up along with the latest CoD DLC and be on their merry way. If you ask me, this is what microsoft is counting on. Sony has consumers lined up for similar reasons, but IMO, they really have their shit together on their latest console. Gamers shouldn't band-wagon. They shouldn't shop for gaming platforms, they should shop for games. Then, they buy whatever platform wil play the games that interest them.

You going to ask Sony to do the same?

Youd do well to compare the differences in paywalls for yourself. Hint: Everything including Netflix, Hulu, DVR, recording your games, etc doesn't require extra fees on PS4. Xbone unfortunately does make you pay extra.

Youd do well to compare the differences in paywalls for yourself. Hint: Everything including Netflix, Hulu, DVR, recording your games, etc doesn't require extra fees on PS4. Xbone unfortunately does make you pay extra.

Yes, that automatically makes Sony charging for online multiplayer fine. :rolleyes:

Yes, that automatically makes Sony charging for online multiplayer fine. :rolleyes:

.... That's what Microsoft does as well. So I don't get what you're getting at. They're both doing it. So if you condemn one, condemn both. You seem to just be pointing at Sony.

I used Xbox Live for 4 years or so and PSN for 5 now, been with PSN+ for over 2 years now I think. Sony allows free everything including Free-to-Play MMO's without subscribing.

Considering the backend work going into PSN+ with PS4 it seems logical they would charge only for multiplayer. However unlike Live, PSN+ is an absurdly good deal considering the sheer amount of free content you get along with the normal discounts.

I don't think Crackdown is a good example of a freebie when PSN+ have given away Infamous, LBP Karting, Uncharted 3, and god knows what else.

So does that make it ok considering the stark differences? I believe so yes, but only if they fix their servers with the money coming their way. People expect a paid service to offer good service so slow download speeds and access will not be shrugged off this go round.

God forbid a company changes its stance on one of its products after people were disappointed with it at first. How could anyone do such a thing?

People were in an uproar because they WANT to buy the Xbox. If no one wanted it, no one would have cared in the first place. So MS decides to listen to people who WANT to buy their console. Of course, they want to sell more consoles and make more money too. That's business. You people are morons.

And when it comes to paying for online services, get a job. I have no issues paying for service as long as it is a quality service, and that's exactly what Xbox Live has always been. I'd have no problem paying for online service from Sony either if that's the route it goes.

Actually I wish there was a picture highlighting the differences between the two. A general check box format then a follow on with month to month incentives over the past two years.

Actually I wish there was a picture highlighting the differences between the two. A general check box format then a follow on with month to month incentives over the past two years.

Who gives a damn? You don't choose which console you want based on paying a small fee for online services or not paying said fee. If you do, you're an idiot.

Back