Xbox One Digital downloads now Region Locked

|-Goku-|

[H]ard|Gawd
Recently, some Xbox One users started reporting that their digitally purchased copies of Xbox One games have stopped working. According to the reporters, their digital Xbox One games (most notable Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3) worked fine for few weeks to a month initially but then the “play” option for the purchased games disappeared. The users get error code “0x87de07d1″ when they try to play the certain game and they are prompted to buy the game/license again.[...]

Some reports claim that Microsoft has placed a region lock on digital Xbox One games and DLC. Game licenses have been deleted from Gamertags and users will now have to purchase same games again. One user reported that his Forza 5, which he bought from Xbox Live Marketplace using redeem code, stopped working. He called the customer support where he was told that digital Xbox One games and DLC are region locked, however there is no region lock on physical game discs. He was told by the “Advocacy” team that the game codes can only be redeemed from the country that is listed on user’s Xbox Live account. If the code is redeemed from any other country, the game will suddenly stop working after some time and user will get “0x87de07d1″ error code.[...]

Source:
http://wccftech.com/microsoft-quiet...xbox-games-dlc-error-code0x87de07d1-reported/
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4271/t/1670565.aspx?PageIndex=4

Thoughts?

If this is true, and they are not going to refund people, that is pretty low.

If the physical discs are region free why the limitation of digital copies? I'm not understanding how this actually happened unless they used a VPN or something for currency differences.

Either way they will probably revert those who are affected and just grandfather them in. It just does not make much sense.

False, Its only affected a handful of users who bought keys from less than legit sources, not through the microsoft store or any retailers.

False, Its only affected a handful of users who bought keys from less than legit sources, not through the microsoft store or any retailers.

Depending on your definition of "legit". Some people in the UK purchased digital downloads from US Ebay members that were selling a legal code that they had, and they are now unable to play those games.

Depending on your definition of "legit". Some people in the UK purchased digital downloads from US Ebay members that were selling a legal code that they had, and they are now unable to play those games.

It is still not a wide spread issue, and many others have commented on the posts on the xbox forums and other sources that they have bought out-of-region keys and have experienced no problems. Something got screwy with code during some consoles updates that didnt affect others

^ wow so I guess that makes it OK then, right?

Of course. It's just a minor problem that affects Xbox One users. Shouldn't ruin the spotless record of the Xbox One.

Lol. He doesn't even try to hide it.

Of course. It's just a minor problem that affects Xbox One users. Shouldn't ruin the spotless record of the Xbox One.

Lol. He doesn't even try to hide it.

Lol really? How bout the fact that it affected less than 30 people if you count the unique posters on the Xbox forums? Or the fact that it affected significantly less people than hardware failures did at both consoles loss. What a joke. Not only that, people who reported on it on other venues already stated it was fixed? Keep up with news before criticizing someone.

This was nothing but a case of media outlets sensationalizing a remote corner case to region locking. Even if you read the comments in the first article posted there are posters who confirm the fact that they can buy out of region codes on the Microsoft store without any issues

Last edited:
Lol really? How bout the fact that it affected less than 30 people if you count the unique posters on the Xbox forums? Or the fact that it affected significantly less people than hardware failures did at both consoles loss. What a joke. Not only that, people who reported on it on other venues already stated it was fixed? Keep up with news before criticizing someone.

This was nothing but a case of media outlets sensationalizing a remote corner case to region locking. Even if you read the comments in the first article posted there are posters who confirm the fact that they can buy out of region codes on the Microsoft store without any issues
Coming to a conclusion based on who posts on the internet is a flawed process. I could pull a number out of my ass and say that for every person who posted on the forums, 1,000 more who didn't vocalize the problem experienced the same issue for a total of 30,000 affected... But I don't like to speculate because of my analytical nature. The fact is unless this disproportinately affects a significant portion of XBONE users, we will never hear anything official and this piece of news will be relegated to the normal noise on the internet after time has passed. Either way, coming up with any conclusion with the information available at this point in time is disingenuous.

Coming to a conclusion based on who posts on the internet is a flawed process. I could pull a number out of my ass and say that for every person who posted on the forums, 1,000 more who didn't vocalize the problem experienced the same issue for a total of 30,000 affected... But I don't like to speculate because of my analytical nature. The fact is unless this disproportinately affects a significant portion of XBONE users, we will never hear anything official and this piece of news will be relegated to the normal noise on the internet after time has passed. Either way, coming up with any conclusion with the information available at this point in time is disingenuous.

The funny thing is the source directly quotes posts on the xbox forums. Including the piece suggesting region locking is a thing now. Its sourcing a random ass joe blow on the forums, and thats it. Other users who previously had these errors are saying the issue was resolved, so no, its not that hard to draw a conclusion especially when the articles source was sketchy to begin with

Microsoft wants to stay away from the kind of abuse that Steam gets. A non-region locked disc is a little harder to get than being able to easily obtain a keycode that cost half the price as it does in US, from an website in India.

Last edited:
Microsoft wants to stay away from the kind of abuse that Steam gets. A non-region locked disc is a little harder to get than being able to easily obtain a keycode that cost half the price as it does in US, from an website in India.

Exactly and I wouldn't blame them steam just started cracking down on this.

Exactly and I wouldn't blame them steam just started cracking down on this.

You can still buy codes from out of region stores, and more than likely always will be able to. The issues that were presented werent coming from that, they were codes bought through ebay where we dont even know the source of it. Microsoft has different stores for each region depending on your settings, you can change that at will and purchase games still. At least for the time being, many people have tested it. But the same cant be assumed for third party purchases such as Ebay.

Edit: The above may be what you were referring to, but the region locking on the console and its 1st party supported stores is bogus.

Last edited:
You can still buy codes from out of region stores, and more than likely always will be able to. The issues that were presented werent coming from that, they were codes bought through ebay where we dont even know the source of it. Microsoft has different stores for each region depending on your settings, you can change that at will and purchase games still. At least for the time being, many people have tested it. But the same cant be assumed for third party purchases such as Ebay.

Edit: The above may be what you were referring to, but the region locking on the console and its 1st party supported stores is bogus.

No I also total agree with what you said they just wanted to make this seem like something it isnt

The funny thing is the source directly quotes posts on the xbox forums. Including the piece suggesting region locking is a thing now. Its sourcing a random ass joe blow on the forums, and thats it. Other users who previously had these errors are saying the issue was resolved, so no, its not that hard to draw a conclusion especially when the articles source was sketchy to begin with

wipe your chin man.... MS is on record saying that they want to do this kind of thing..... remember the XBONE launch?

wipe your chin man.... MS is on record saying that they want to do this kind of thing..... remember the XBONE launch?

Yeah OK let's not look at concrete evidence completely opposing what the article is saying let's take corner cases from a random forum poster on X box support who can't even say 100% the source of his codes word for it?

yadda yadda yabada Whatever. I'll keep on posting to just bump the postcount. Inevitably, as this reaches page two, new posters will completely avoid reading page one altogether, and we'll have more posts based off of the first post, if not the title alone.

I got the same problem with Ryse. Bought a code on ebay us and now i can't play. I've contacted MS and they said that not having bought it through ms store they can't give me digital replacement copy. So i'm buying only game disc from now on :)

Okay so disregard everything that NeoGAF (forums) say. But base it off of only a small amount of posts on another forum (not everyone posts on the official forums BTW).

Buying out of region codes off places like eBay is just stupid. And eBay has got some serious problems with fraud accounts right now its really scary after a decade of selling and buying I'm never using it again.

the problem is for the non US countries. I'm italian even if i'm living in poland and here the xbox one has not been officially delivered yet. So i can buy only digital copy of games.
But it's funny that 69$ (45 Euro) became 69 Euros on our market so it's better to buy games on ebay. I tried, i got screwed so i'll not do it anymore. Looking forwar to get a debit card in US to buy directly on xbox market with normal prices.

the problem is for the non US countries. I'm italian even if i'm living in poland and here the xbox one has not been officially delivered yet. So i can buy only digital copy of games.
But it's funny that 69$ (45 Euro) became 69 Euros on our market so it's better to buy games on ebay. I tried, i got screwed so i'll not do it anymore. Looking forwar to get a debit card in US to buy directly on xbox market with normal prices.

Does that 69 Euros include taxes or do you have to add those on top of that?

Does that 69 Euros include taxes or do you have to add those on top of that?

They used to be 60 euros in Germany, then suddenly jumped to 70 a while ago. All the prices include the tax though, so what you see is the final price.

Back