Xbox One controller on PC over wireless

AMD T-type

Supreme [H]ardness
Got a Xbox One controller with PC cable (just a micro usb cable) today for my birthday, pretty much for the sole purpose of using it for GTA V and the upcoming Project Cars.

Has anyone heard any news about a WiFi adapter for the PC for this controller? I can't find any information anywhere, only other people asking basically the same question.

I wish. I gave up and just bought a PS4 controller. It works flawlessly, which sucks, it's not near as good.

I have one too. I was waiting for a wireless version but I caved. I love the controller but jesus christ MS, release a wireless dongle already. It's 2015..

I have one too. I was waiting for a wireless version but I caved. I love the controller but jesus christ MS, release a wireless dongle already. It's 2015..

In their defense, it's not like microsoft has any experience in the PC market like sony does. /sarcasm

In their defense, it's not like microsoft has any experience in the PC market like sony does. /sarcasm
In the past 10 years or so Microsoft and Sony have been about on par regarding PC gaming.

That's actually a shot at Microsoft if you couldn't tell.

I went with a Wii U Pro controller instead. The D-Pad is pretty much fantastic if you want to play some fighting games or platformers. If you pick up the Mayflash adaptor it works just fine with Xinput mode and is completely wireless. No drivers or any work arounds, your games just think its another 360 controller. Adaptor has a toggle for the older DInput mode as well, if you wanted to use it for ancient emulators or just generic PC controller support on older games.

Just another option, but I doubt MS is going to ever release another wireless adaptor.

I went with a Wii U Pro controller instead. The D-Pad is pretty much fantastic if you want to play some fighting games or platformers. If you pick up the Mayflash adaptor it works just fine with Xinput mode and is completely wireless. No drivers or any work arounds, your games just think its another 360 controller. Adaptor has a toggle for the older DInput mode as well, if you wanted to use it for ancient emulators or just generic PC controller support on older games.

Just another option, but I doubt MS is going to ever release another wireless adaptor.

Doing the same thing. The D pad on the Wii U Pro controller is the best I have used in a long time. The controller is the best I have used over all in a long time, actually.

FYI: For those wanting to do this, the Japanese Nintendo controllers will work just the same as other region ones. These are usually sold cheaper on Amazon than the US region ones.

Yeah, they released the 360 adapter during the "GFWL" windows Vista era, and everyone was saying PC gaming was dead Microsoft was just looking to score a few more dollars off controller sales. Now PC gaming is growing like crazy and represents a real threat to console gaming profits, I highly doubt M$ would do anything to promote PC gaming right now, with the XBone struggling like it is.

I've been using a ps3 controller for my pc games, but like every game So far automatically supports xbox. I've been looking online and I can only find those wireless 360 controller that needs batteries. Anyone know where I can buy a wireless xbox 360 controller for pc with a rechargeable battery pack?

I've been using a ps3 controller for my pc games, but like every game So far automatically supports xbox. I've been looking online and I can only find those wireless 360 controller that needs batteries. Anyone know where I can buy a wireless xbox 360 controller for pc with a rechargeable battery pack?

All I could find was this http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wire...&keywords=xbox+360+controller+play+and+charge

You will need to get the wireless adapter separately however. Microsoft no longer sells an official one so you'll need one of the Chinese knockoffs.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
All I could find was this http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wire...&keywords=xbox+360+controller+play+and+charge

You will need to get the wireless adapter separately however. Microsoft no longer sells an official one so you'll need one of the Chinese knockoffs.

Thanks for the help! Would I need this basically?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1PU0M52180&FM=1

Sheesh now I remember why I loved PS3 over Xbox back in the day Microsoft really knows how to penny pinch.

Last edited:
About the only thing I can suggest right now is a wireless usb adapter. You'll still have a wire, and it will be kind of weird, but it works for the most part.

I've enjoyed my PS4 controller. Works flawlessly with the DS4 program over bluetooth.

The annoying part is that Sony has the much better connectivity (PS3 and PS4 controller are so much easier to connect, all you need for wireless is a bluetooth adapter) while Microsoft has the better native integration (shows the buttons on screen and the controls are more "obvious", PS3/4 you have to get used to it).

I don't have an issue with mine being corded anymore. At least I never have to think about its charge. What pisses me off is when you boot into Windows and it starts rumbling and shit. Scared the hell out of me a couple of times, since I have it on my monitor's stand and it makes a racket.

What pisses me off is when you boot into Windows and it starts rumbling and shit.

I have been using a wired 360 controller for years now and mine has never rumbled while booting into windows. :confused:

What I never understood is why they didn't just keep the same wireless protocol as the XB360 for the XB1 controller. Rather than using a standard like bluetooth or even their own established wireless protocol used in the XB360 that already have dongles available on PCs, they made a completely different one then decided to say FU to the PC gamers go use a Sony product. In some ways it's just kind of hilarious and at the same time really sad that they'd actually ignore their own platform.

The annoying part is that Sony has the much better connectivity (PS3 and PS4 controller are so much easier to connect, all you need for wireless is a bluetooth adapter) while Microsoft has the better native integration (shows the buttons on screen and the controls are more "obvious", PS3/4 you have to get used to it).
I don't know about newer games, but I tried using the One controller with Assassin's Creed and it didn't map the buttons correctly like the 360 controller. It seems it is only being recognized as a generic XInput device. Went back to the 360 controller since it's the only way to get the shoulder triggers mapped properly.

What I never understood is why they didn't just keep the same wireless protocol as the XB360 for the XB1 controller. Rather than using a standard like bluetooth or even their own established wireless protocol used in the XB360 that already have dongles available on PCs, they made a completely different one then decided to say FU to the PC gamers go use a Sony product. In some ways it's just kind of hilarious and at the same time really sad that they'd actually ignore their own platform.

Agreed. If it isn't broke, why fix it? It even worked fine with audio, too.
I think that might be the only thing the Xbox One does better and it might be the reason they changed it. Xbox One online chat sounds nearly on par with a good quality phone call...although that might be the system and not just the controller protocol. Otherwise, there's just no reason for it.
I'm suppose I'm going to keep using my 360 and wireless dongle as long as MS keeps supporting it.

Less profit to be had if they let you re-use your accessories. It's better for them if they have a few more bucks and you have more plastic crap filling up your room.

Less profit to be had if they let you re-use your accessories. It's better for them if they have a few more bucks and you have more plastic crap filling up your room.
I might agree with you if they actually sold another plastic piece of crap that let you use it wireless, but the XB1 controller doesn't have one and MS doesn't seem at all interested in even selling one.

Personally the only reason I can think of for not making a wireless dongle for PC is if they put in some kind of DRM like code for the XB1 controller to work wireless with the XB1 and they didn't want PC users to be able to figure out what that system is for fear their XB1 might get hacked via some kind of wireless exploit.

Back