Xbox networking?

DarkDrake

Weaksauce
Hi, I have 1.2mbit / 384 DSL and I was wondering if I could get a switch and hook my DSL modem to the switch, then switch to Xbox (and another computer on another port) I was thinking about a D-Link DSS 5+ 5 port switch.. (http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=69)
would this work with Xbox? I mean, would it detect the DSL signal?

if your isp offers you more than 1 public ip address then yeah go for it, if not 1 or 2 things will happen 1) the computer/device that pulls the ip first will get the internet connection 2) the computers/devices with the mac address that is registed to the isp will get an ip address

Yes. Easy to do - I assume you mean Xbox Live right? This opens up options if you have a hacked Xbox (with Xbox Live protection) too - accessing the Xbox HDD via FTP, etc ;)

Set router up to take IP address from DSL provider.
Create static IP addresses in you home network (eg 192.168.10.100 for Xbox, *.101 for PC, etc)
Setup router to port forward packets for port 80 and port 3074 to Xbox IP address (eg *.100).

Another method is to put the Xbox in the DMZ (an area that external devices can see - try to avoid this).

Downside is that you wont be able to run a HTTP server on your local PC unless you do it on a different port (8080, 88, etc).

Routers, among other things, hide the properties of a connection behind them. An Xbox uses ethernet, so as long as you plug it into an ethernet network, you're fine -- you should even be able to connect via 56K modem, though I have no need to try.

As for setup -- plug and play. I think Token's ports are for hosting games only, regular joining requires nothing.

lomn75 said:
As for setup -- plug and play. I think Token's ports are for hosting games only, regular joining requires nothing.
For the most part Xbox live only requires Port 80 open. Some games also require Port 3074 (which most router keep closed). Personally, I have my Xbox networked, but dont use XBox Live. You are probalby right about the port forwarding though - NAT shoudl take care of that for non-hosted games (and since you can't host locally anyway, this is a moot point).

He's talking about hooking it up to a switch. Ignore the parts that refer to routers. Pay special note to cbachor's post. Your ISP must allow your connection to get multiple public IP addresses. If they do not, then your option will have to be a router.

Token User said:
For the most part Xbox live only requires Port 80 open.
Definitely not. I run port 80 to a different machine on my network. I did see a reference to port 88 UDP, though.

Bullitt said:
He's talking about hooking it up to a switch.
My bad, figured he meant "router."

Anyway, you should have a router whether or not your ISP gives you multiple IP addresses. Don't run around the net naked.

lomn75 said:
My bad, figured he meant "router."
So did I, until I followed his link :)
lomn75 said:
Anyway, you should have a router whether or not your ISP gives you multiple IP addresses. Don't run around the net naked.

Agreed. Make sure you have some sort of protection.

My 2Wire modem is a router... all another router would do is slow it down. Im a little confused.

Wait I should be good... because since the modem is a router... and I already have another computer networked it should be good.

I REALLY doubt someone is gonna bother hacking into an Xbox on a live IP. If thats what the internet has come to, i'll go back to my rock.

DarkWind said:
I REALLY doubt someone is gonna bother hacking into an Xbox on a live IP. If thats what the internet has come to, i'll go back to my rock.
LOL.....

Back