XBOX cooling mod 80mm

Qwertyman

2[H]4U
I got an xbox that was out of warranty from a friend which i'm currently modding. I have already changed the thermal paste, but now I want to quiet these damn fans by removing them completely out of the system.

I'm looking do something like this:

This fan is only for example. Currently the xbox 360 60mm fans move roughly 22-24 cfm per fan I believe. I would try to pull out a fan that is around 30 cfm to quiet the noise and move hopefully the similar amount of air due to the closeness of the fan to the heatsink.

What I'm worried about is if this would be an effective solution or would replacing the two fans with some other 60mm or the after-market cooling fans made for the xbox 360 be a better thing to do. What do you think?

I haven't seen one person do this thus far, more so with 120mm fans and removing the dvd drive to an external one.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Well, I have not tried doing what you're attempting to do but I'm sure it would work if you can somehow find a way to hold it there but there's also some good replacement fans called the Talismoon Xbox 360 Whisper fan. As far as "reducing the noise" goes, 90% of the noise that the xbox makes is your dvd-drive, not the fans.

You can install games to the HD now so fan noise is now an issue.

I am working on silencing my X360 as well. I bought a new Jasper Arcade unit just to mod. So far I've removed the x-clamps, used AS5, and replaced the newer Falcon/Jasper CPU heatsink with the original Heatpipe CPU cooler (like you have). I have the talismoon whisper max fan and its a direct replacement, but its garbage when it comes to noise. I don't need much air flow so I'm going to replace the rear fans with super quiet 60x25mm fans and put a 60x15mm fan in front of the cpu cooler and a 50x10 on the GPU heatpipe radiator.

I'm also considering dumping the air duct since it creates a lot of noise, but I'm not sure having a fan on the GPU heatpipe radiator would be enough to keep it cool. I'm not really worried about the CPU.

BTW the X360 fans are 70x25mm. They are also speed controlled. I think they start out at 5v. You can mod them easily to be 12v all the time. Super loud though.

I haven't yet to do the mods as I'm currently trying to fix this off-centered dvd drive that keeps popping out. What I have done though is add some sound dampening to the dvd-drive on the top and added some rubber grommets to the bottom to keep it from rattling off the motherboard.

^Johnle, are you thinking about replacing the fans with some of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999601?

The airflow is not that high, but they will be modded to 12v using a variable controller and I'm thinking of adding an additional one to the front like you are doing.

Air would then be directed from outside the system in, then out through the two back fans.

I'm not sure how this will cool the gpu all that well; I think four fans would be overkill.

Thanks

Your link is just to a general page. Any 60x25mm fans can be wired up. Its up to you to decide how much cfm/db your looking for. You will probably want to run PC fans with a speed controller and a 12v line.

I want to to use 2 small fans up front because I am using extremely quiet/weak fans in the rear.

Also the air duct magnifies the noise of the fan so I'm considering dumping it in my case since I think the fan on the GPU radiator will be enough for the 65nm GPU. That needs to be tested though.

I put an 80mm in mine years ago, mostly by hacking away at plastic that was in the way with a hot soldering iron (not the cleanest way but it worked).... It is WAY louder than my friends who just did the 12v mod to the stock fan and his seems to move more air just by feeling the airflow...

no idea, but i never had an issue with disk scratching on my old premium :-/

Disc-scratching isn't a guaranteed thing, fortunately (also for MSFT...). Lots of people have been affected by it, though. It's really one of the reasons why I'm still holding out on buying an X360 (the 20%+ return rate should be fixed now).

My Halo 3 edition 360 has a super noisy optical drive, with the HDD loaded games it is pretty quiet though.

Can I get a better optical drive and swap it out?

I think all you would have to do is load the new optical drive with the firmware your old drive was using

Back