Xbox 720 Specs: Eight-core CPU, 8 GB RAM, Windows 8 Kernel?

In 2013 I hope at least one console adds native support for keyboard and mouse for all games. I would gladly pay $400 for a console if it would future proof me for 5 years or more. But it HAS to support KBM.

Not going to comment on specs, we'll know for sure in 6 months. I can wait.

In 2013 I hope at least one console adds native support for keyboard and mouse for all games. I would gladly pay $400 for a console if it would future proof me for 5 years or more. But it HAS to support KBM.

As for KBM support for the xbox interface and/or for the games themselves. The former isn't too farfetched. The latter, not a chance.

ps3 has had kbm support. the problem is that not many devs have supported it in their games.

As the main CPU? An "enhanced" 360 CPU like the Wii U's "enhanced" Broadway CPU? Or a separate CPU altogether just for BC?

As a secondary. Makes sense if MS goes X86.

The Wii U's CPU is basically the same exact arch, just clocked up slightly. No issues with backward compatibility there.

Same for me.

Not getting my hopes up, though.

I wouldnt be surprised if one of the piledriver cores (2 ints one fpu) are used by the enhanced kinect when active, so maybe kinect enabled games will be down 1 core?

FWIW,

IGN today confirmed again what they reported a year ago.

6670 GPU w/ IBM PowerPC CPU for the 720

7670 GPU w/ AMD APU (ie another integrated GPU on the CPU die)

NO way in hell a console and it's GPU will debut concurrently. Unless you want a $599 USD console again, don't expect a 8xxx series Radeon.

Saw this yesterday on IGN. Those GPUs are basically the same but what this says to me more than anything is, the next Xbox will be backward compatible and the PlayStation won't be. And if this is true then the they all have the same basic GPU the Wii U is supposed to also have a 6670 type of GPU.

I will believe all this when I see it.

Those specs seem more in line with the "leaked" document from about a year ago. Dual hardware-- one CPU/GPU for backwards compatibility and new games; the second CPU/GPU for low power usage apps and games-- XBLA games, media streaming, interface.

But, that is probably not going to be cheap at all. Look to the first PS3 console with double the hardware-- PS2 and PS3 hardware under one console. Let's hope that manufacturing costs have reduced far enough to not make this a very expensive console.

Why? The whole point of a console is not to require KBM like a pc. Even if they do (like the PS3 does) you can be sure the games won't be optimized for KBM, so once again there's no point.

I've got to agree with everyone else calling bullshit. The CPU is probably the closest to being accurate, but I don't see the rest happening. 8GB of RAM is totally unnecessary. 2GB is probably passable with careful programming. Given the cost of memory these days, MS may splurge for 4GB to attempt to increase the consoles longevity beyond that of the 360. Anything beyond that though would be unnecessary. The CPU and GPU would not have the processing power to utilize 8GB of system memory. As for the GPU, going with a yet-unreleased top of the line GPU would be quite costly. This is a GPU that will likely release for $550-$600 around the same time. To put a single component in the system that pricey would lead to a very high launch price and MS would still have to eat a pretty large chunk of money with every unit sold. If they shot for an optimized 6 or 7-series GPU, they could probably get costs down significantly without taking a huge hit in performance.

Last edited:
VGLeaks has another specs list: http://www.vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-durango-unveiled/

durango_arq1.jpg

the hdmi 1.4a in = pure sex. move over ps3 i need to make room for my new blu-ray player.

an AMD 8000-series GPU

LOLNO, not an "8000-series", or "7000-series", or any of the existing architectures targeted at desktops - that sounds like the wishful thinking of a COD kid. Thats not how GPU's that end up in consoles come to fruition. Once again its custom silicon built to order, to Microsoft's spec, just like the 360 and the original Xbox. Its built by AMD but doesn't necessarily share any straight equivalency to a desktop or mobile part made by the same company.

Also with the "8 cores" before getting too blown away keep in mind its more of "marketing cores" aka a bunch of half cores (think AMD) than some beast with any equivalency to current gen desktop class CPU's.

Still, anything's better than the 360 at this point since that unit and the PS3 continue to hamstring PC gaming the older they get, so the Durango can't come soon enough.

Last edited:
If the 720 will continue to charge for the Live account which will give us access to online games. I will pass and purchase my PS4!

Keyboard and mouse.... Go play a PC then. If you grew up like I did then you should have no problem playing on a controller, been doing since the early 80's. Leave the kB&ms to the PC. And specs the only people who argue specs are the ones who can't afford to play on all consoles, if you have them all then you get the best of each. We will see what they have when they announce them pretty simple. I'm more concerned with the games and gameplay!

The first major disappointment I see straight away is the SATA 2 - why the hell wouldn't they include the SATA 3 standard it's been around since 09. That's just not acceptable - I wouldn't buy it for that reason alone.

We now even have SATA Express coming out this year at 16g/ps. SATA 2 at 3g/ps ... really? They should have at least SATA 3.2.

I want to see the motherboard for this new XBox. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBox

The first major disappointment I see straight away is the SATA 2 - why the hell wouldn't they include the SATA 3 standard it's been around since 09. That's just not acceptable - I wouldn't buy it for that reason alone.

We now even have SATA Express coming out this year at 16g/ps. SATA 2 at 3g/ps ... really? They should have at least SATA 3.2.

I want to see the motherboard for this new XBox. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBox

SATA2 is still fine mate. what are u smoking?

Why? The whole point of a console is not to require KBM like a pc. Even if they do (like the PS3 does) you can be sure the games won't be optimized for KBM, so once again there's no point.

So how does pc games be optimised by both?

if MS goes X86 would that mean PC games could possibly work on the new xbox or vice versa? could it make porting as simple as clicking yes yes yes in a wizard app lol?

This thread is full of people who don't realize the 8000 series is a rebadged 7000 series.

SATA2 is still fine mate. what are u smoking?

What am I smoking? Jesus fucking Christ SATA 2 is already obsolete & came out in like 2004- nearly 10 years ago. The new XBox should at least have SATA 3.2 - what are you smoking?

Last edited:
What am I smoking? Jesus fucking Christ SATA 2 is already obsolete & came out in like 2004- nearly 10 years ago. The new XBox should at least have SATA 3.2 - what are you smoking?

I think he means it's a spindle drive setup so it's irrelevant.

you must be smoking something if you believe SATA 2 is obselete for an XBOX. a console doesn't need anything faster given its purpose. The best avaible techology is not always the right solution.

you must be smoking something if you believe SATA 2 is obselete for an XBOX. a console doesn't need anything faster given its purpose. The best avaible techology is not always the right solution.

Bullshit, not buying it - you're on crack if you think the new XBox 720 should include already obsolete SATA 2 when SATA 3 is the standard used today. If SATA 2 is fine with you, then, SATA 3 is fine too - just a lot better.

Stop being stupid

You guys need to chill the fuck out. We will see when they announce I don't think any of these specs are close. They need to not exceed the 400 price tag and at that they better be backward compatable for sure.

Bullshit, not buying it - you're on crack if you think the new XBox 720 should include already obsolete SATA 2 when SATA 3 is the standard used today. If SATA 2 is fine with you, then, SATA 3 is fine too - just a lot better.

Stop being stupid

on what materic are you determining that sata 2 is obselete for an xbox?

that like saying that if somone is building a computer for the single and only purpose of surfing the web, that at 9800GT would be obselete, you would be a fool for saying that, just as you are fool now.

there is nothing that an xbox has been design and intended to do with by microsoft that requires anything more than SATA 2, nothing. this is called running a bussiness. not every product needs the lateest tech.

I'm sure you are going to tell me A-10 thunderbolt 2 is obselete for close air support because it's over 20 years old, and the awesome Joint Strike Fighter would be better at because it's the new model. Please, instead of reacting without thinking, try thinking, analyzing, do some research, then react, you will be better for it.

Maybe this is just me, but I am far more interested in the rumored xbox tv set than the new console...

First I've heard of it? What is it exactly?

It was a rumour floating around a few months ago, stating that a new console wasn't coming but a set top box.

In reality, the new xbox will probably be both. In Canada you can get TV service through your Xbox with Telus as the provider.

Maybe this is just me, but I am far more interested in the rumored xbox tv set than the new console...

Yeah, it's supposedly a diskless unit dedicated to Xbox Live and its related services. Basically, something better than a Roku, Google TV, and Apple TV unit.

Actually, if it's true, I may get that over those other three units I mentioned.

It was a rumour floating around a few months ago, stating that a new console wasn't coming but a set top box.

In reality, the new xbox will probably be both. In Canada you can get TV service through your Xbox with Telus as the provider.

I do remember reading they were trying to compete against cable/satellite TV services by making XBL a place to go to watch your stations like NBC, ABC, TNT, etc. Now I’m curious about this Xbox TV.

I do remember reading they were trying to compete against cable/satellite TV services by making XBL a place to go to watch your stations like NBC, ABC, TNT, etc. Now I’m curious about this Xbox TV.

Yeah, pretty much.

It's Microsoft's attempt at entering the set-top box market where Roku, GoogleTV and Apple TV and other similar devices have made their mark. But, reading the rumors, it's supposed to be a far better product given it has XBL, XBLA, multiple apps and games, Xbox Music services, and soon TV stations streaming shows to the unit, etc.

The only thing that bothers me about it is paying Xbox Live just to access already pay-for services such as Netflix or Hulu Plus. It makes it seem redundant given I don't have to go through a middle-man (Xbox Live) to access Netflix on my PC or if I have an HTPC in the living room other than my ISP.

Last edited:
I am really not interested in these new consoles at all.

Until there is a compelling reason like 4k I will stick with what I have.
I may also invest in one of those MiniPC android googleTV devices for most of what I do today with the PS3. I am pissed that the PS3 CANT EVEN GET YOUTUBE WORKING. They do shit like that just to piss people off. They give you a great looking youtube app that doesn't fucking work.

I feel better now.

on what materic are you determining that sata 2 is obselete for an xbox?

that like saying that if somone is building a computer for the single and only purpose of surfing the web, that at 9800GT would be obselete, you would be a fool for saying that, just as you are fool now.

there is nothing that an xbox has been design and intended to do with by microsoft that requires anything more than SATA 2, nothing. this is called running a bussiness. not every product needs the lateest tech.

Please, instead of reacting without thinking, try thinking, analyzing, do some research, then react, you will be better for it.

LOL, you should follow your own advice about THINKING. You're right (not really) perhaps the new XBox 720 should just stick with SATA 1 at 1.5 g/ps - I'm sure you and the others would be happy with that. :rolleyes:

Pointless debate about Sata 2/3. 99% of all mechanical hdd's in use won't come close to saturating Sata2 bandwidth, so the speed really doesn't matter. The real determining factor would've been cost of Sata2 vs 3 controller on the chipset, and they'd go with the cheaper option. This also means an ssd/hybrid drive can be ruled out as that would be able to make use of a highspeed bus.

Pointless debate about Sata 2/3. 99% of all mechanical hdd's in use won't come close to saturating Sata2 bandwidth, so the speed really doesn't matter. The real determining factor would've been cost of Sata2 vs 3 controller on the chipset, and they'd go with the cheaper option. This also means an ssd/hybrid drive can be ruled out as that would be able to make use of a highspeed bus.

This

Exactly.

If you go by any hard drive and SSD review, the only thing ever coming close to saturating or close to using the majority of the SATA II or III bandwidth are SSDs.

No mechanical hard drive save for the Raptor/Velociraptor drives have done that. Even with the Raptor drives, it's still barely comparable to an SSD.

So, if that person is complaining about SATA II, it's pointless really and the SATA II interface is completely fine in a console. A mechanical drive will still offer more storage than an SSD at less money per gigabyte. And, asking for an SSD in a console is just asking for that console's price to shoot up another $100-plus.

Back