Xbox 360 Migration Kit Mail-in Offer

BassTek

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm thinking of getting the RE5 360 bundle and selling my old system. I know in the past there was a mail-in deal for a migration kit if you bought the Elite, and the form is available here - http://assets.xbox.com/en-us/support/MigrationKit-OrderForm.pdf

Has anyone used this form recently? I believe it would still apply to the RE system as it mentions 'special edition' consoles, but the last thread I saw that mentioned it was over a year old. I don't see any dates on the form so I assume the offer is still valid.

You can also call in to get a similar treatment, so you may consider doing that to confirm.

I did it just 4-5 months ago and it still worked fine. In fact, I'm planning on sending my kit to another [H] forum member over the weekend.

I'd love to up to a 60GB HDD but I don't wanna go through the hassle of transferring. Do you have to have 2 360's to do the transfer?

I got my kit about a month ago. I used it to transfer the data off my 20gig to my new 120 elite.
To do the transfer you only use one console, both hdd are connected to the same console.

There are some issues with the kit, one of which is overhead. For some reason, you actually loose a few gigs of free space once the transfer is finished. Which brings me to the second problem... time. It takes a few hours to go from a 20 (my 20 gig only had about 10 gigs actually on the drive) to a 120. I assume it has to due with the kit actually using the USB port to hook up of of the hdds. However, it still takes a lot longer than it should.

I'd love to up to a 60GB HDD but I don't wanna go through the hassle of transferring. Do you have to have 2 360's to do the transfer?

It's not a hassle at all, and like J-Will said, you only need your Xbox. Using the transfer cable you hook the new hard drive up to the BACK usb port, turn on your 360, and then put in the software CD that comes with the data migration kit. You hit A a few times and then just let your 360 sit for about an hour or so. I think my time was about an hour and 15 minutes.

For the record, I never lost any space in the transfer, and the transfer took about an hour on my system. I had 1gb free when I transfered from my 20gb to my 120gb.

Yeah, I don't recall losing any space either. Even when you transfer your data from a 20GB to a 120GB, your new hard drive will have extra junk on it (some Live Arcade trials, videos, etc.), but I'm guessing those are on the included software CD, and it puts them on your drive during the transfer.

The only other thing I could think of, as far as "loosing a few gigs," is the system sets asside a few gigs for caching, and then of course the whole issue of a 120GB hard drive NOT actually totalling up to 120GB, which is the norm, and has been discussed before.

Hrm, how much to the transfer cables typically cost? I'd hate to purchase one and be stuck with it as I'd only use it once I'm sure.

You can also sell them on eBay for absurd amounts of money, or at least you used to be able to. So it's more like a net gain, if anything.

The 120gb HDD does come with one. However, if you have an older Xbox with a 20 or 60gb HDD and then you buy an Elite with 120gb, you need to special order the kit, as it is not included with the Elite. Same holds true for the RE5 bundle. No transfer it is included.

to those who have one, anyone willing to lend one out for a short time? PM me and we can talk details/heatware/shipping costs etc.

If I can find the 120 GB kit cheaper, I might jump on that. Even the 60 GB would be fine, if I can get the transfer kit for free.

You can also sell them on eBay for absurd amounts of money, or at least you used to be able to. So it's more like a net gain, if anything.

You still can. I sold my transfer cable two weeks ago and it went for $40.57!

If I can find the 120 GB kit cheaper, I might jump on that. Even the 60 GB would be fine, if I can get the transfer kit for free.

You can off-set some of the costs by selling your old hard drive, and transfer cable on eBay. Like I mentioned above, I got just over 40 dollars simply for my cable. I haven't sold my 20GB hard drive yet though, because my younger brother might get a 360, and I told him IF he just bought the arcade SKU I'd give him my old drive. However, a friend of mine sold his cable and 20GB hard drive, the same time I sold my cable. He got 15 or so for his cable, but his hard drive went for 40 or so. I think his cable would have gone for more (like mine), but I think he didn't categorize it right.

Either way, it's not a guarantee you'll make a lot of money off of either, but if you get lucky you could end up having only spent maybe 20 or so bucks, when it's all said and done, buying the 60GB drive and selling your old one, and the cable on eBay.

During the process, are you given some type of option to clear your old drive, so it doesn't contain any of your info when you sell it?

During the process, are you given some type of option to clear your old drive, so it doesn't contain any of your info when you sell it?

It wipes it automatically as part of the process.
With the new one - some games I'd purchased were seen as demo versions until I ran them for the first time. Once you do the transfer, that's the time to kill off demos and videos you don't want. One funny thing is that the new HD will contain partial downloads that you stopped, so you can delete the misc. corrupt files that are on there (if you have any). Those are just partially downloaded files that the system doesn't know what to do with.

Sorry to resurrect the old thread, but I just won a used 60GB HDD off of ebay. I've got a 20GB drive currently and I know MS offers a transfer kit. Am I going to be able to get it for free since my HDD is used (pulled from a Pro system I assume)? What info is needed.

I can't get onto the Xbox website from work...

I think it requires a system serial number. The one I got was supposedly only for those buying new elite systems.

Domingo is correct, it requires the serial number from your old system and the new Elite/Special Edition console.

Grrr...anyone got one they want to loan me? I'll pay for shipping both ways.

I have one at home. Let me ensure that I can find it tonight and I'll ship it out to you.

I have one at home. Let me ensure that I can find it tonight and I'll ship it out to you.

Really? You are amazing, thank you SO much!!

I'll PM you tonight to check/remind. Thanks!

Why not just retrieve your LIVE tag and redownload your stuff to your new drive? I did this instead of using the migration kit when I upped my 20g to a 60g and it worked with no problems.

I thought about that as well, but in doing so I'll lose all my save games and such (which is quite a few), I'll have to transfer all my licences for XBLA games, etc.

If need be, I have one, too. I've already sent it to one [H] user. 3 stamps is all it takes to ship.

Much thanks Domingo!!! Either will work, whichever is cheaper/can get mailed out faster would be preferred :p

I thought about that as well, but in doing so I'll lose all my save games and such (which is quite a few), I'll have to transfer all my licences for XBLA games, etc.

I used a memory card for my games saves (512mb bought from gamestop then returned it after I was done)and the licenses will automatically reactivate when you go to re-download them. The way I did it was after my tag was retrieved went to my downloaded history and qued away, no problem.

I hate to buy and return stuff like that. Methinks I'll try to work with the generosity of [H] members.

Back