Xbox 360 Media Extender Problems

Spaceninja

2[H]4U
I recently purchased a 360 and I wanted to use it for playing videos across the network. I can see the 3 different PC's in the house and my music will stream without an issue. Movies on the other hand are a different story. One machine I can see the videos and when I try to play it just says it can no longer see the machine etc.. The other machine it finds some random folder with a Premier temp file in it and not the folder with all my videos. I have checked the shares and they are set up correctly as I can see the share on another machine.

My Xbox is plugged directly into the router and the PC's are plugged into a switch. I tried swapping out the switch but it didn't make a difference.

Both PC's are running Vista Home Prem x64.

are you sharing them with wmp11? You have to add them to wmp11 library also, cant just drop them in the gui. I think just sharing them wont work through the OS.

I did add them to wmp and tried that as well. I can play the videos and do whatever I want on the PC, it just refuses to see the videos.

Just to clarify they are in WMV and h.264 (encoded with Handbrake and using the 360 presets)

If you're confident that sharing is set up correctly via WMP 11, check your event viewer for any system errors related to file sharing or WMP. Chances are that you will find the source of your trouble there. For some people the solution is to delete their hidden DRM folders...for others [in my case] it was a net-based sharing service that I had to change to a local service.

my xbox stopped playing h.264 after the last update but if you cant see them then thats not the issue.

I would check the wmp11 shares again.

Back