Xbox 360 Core?

Am I missing something, without the HD isn't this a crippled system? I wouldn't necessarily need any of the "garnishing", this seemed like a good deal until I found out that it doesn't come with the HD. So, what's the deal?

My understanding is that you need the HD to download patches, as well as to buy games off of XBL.

If you don't have a HDD then you need a memory card to save games (still won't allow you to download XBLA games or patches though).

Actualy even if you have a HDD, a memory card would be handy to store your gamertag info on to play on your friends 360.

BladeMrk said:
If you don't have a HDD then you need a memory card to save games (still won't allow you to download XBLA games or patches though).

Actualy even if you have a HDD, a memory card would be handy to store your gamertag info on to play on your friends 360.

Gotcha, thanks.

Games can be saved using a memory card/module.

It is also necessary for backwards compatibility with older games also (since you generally have to download patches for them to work on the Xbox360). Microsoft says it is required for this.

Nobody I know, who hasn't gotten it, plans on getting the core version. Having owned the original Xbox, getting the one with the hard drive was a no-brainer, especially since you also get a wireless controller instead of a wired controller (I really dig the wireless) with it and the Live headseat. Heck, the hard drive alone costs $100. Honestly, the Core unit is about price bottom line (there are people who can't look at the larger picture and see that $100 gets you a lot of bang for the extra bucks). My $.02 is go Premium and totally avoid the Core at all costs. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Mr.Dearthian

mr.dearthian said:
Games can be saved using a memory card/module.

It is also necessary for backwards compatibility with older games also (since you generally have to download patches for them to work on the Xbox360). Microsoft says it is required for this.

Nobody I know, who hasn't gotten it, plans on getting the core version. Having owned the original Xbox, getting the one with the hard drive was a no-brainer, especially since you also get a wireless controller instead of a wired controller (I really dig the wireless) with it and the Live headseat. Heck, the hard drive alone costs $100. Honestly, the Core unit is about price bottom line (there are people who can't look at the larger picture and see that $100 gets you a lot of bang for the extra bucks). My $.02 is go Premium and totally avoid the Core at all costs. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Mr.Dearthian

Thanks, yeah premium looks like it has more bang for the buck.

I wouldn't be shocked to see MS get rid of the core once the new 100GB HD comes out. In all reality, it *is* a little crippled. No patches, backward compatibility, download options, etc. without the HD. You also don't have Hight Definition functionality either.
Admittedly, the core might be the sweetest deal of all time once the newer HD's hit the market. Buy the core, the new 100GB HD and some High Def cables and you're set.
Hopefully whenever the new drives come out MS will release a method (sans the current Media Center hacks) for backing up your info, though! Shouldn't be too hard to send 'em to a networked PC temporarily if they'll endorse that.

There is one good thing about the core system...modding.

You won't be able to go on XBL with a modded 360 anyway so when modding starts I imagine those cores will find a home.

Then people can own their own usb hard drive as well.

Also you can't download demo's and trailers. Don't underestimate the importance of being able to actually play a demo on your own TV to see how it looks. I know you can always run to the computer and download video but nothing beats your own HDTV. I am still playing the fight night 3 demo. That thing is awesome. I'm waiting to get the full version for my b-day. Can't wait.

And the wireless controller is a must have. I don't even have to get off my ass to turn the system on. I'm sure the wired controller works that way too but then you probably don't have the wired controller in next to your couch.

If microsoft can afford to bundle the hard drive and wireless controller for only $100 more why can't they drop the core system price?

"If microsoft can afford to bundle the hard drive and wireless controller for only $100 more why can't they drop the core system price?"

-They don't pay $100 for a HDD when they're buying several millions of them, and the rest of the stuff is basicly free (an HD cable costs them nothing vs making a standard cable, adding wireless to the controller costs little)

I bet they lose less money on the Premium than the core

Just an FYI - you can download patches on an MU, but obviously your capacity is far more limited than with the HDD. The Core system can play online, but it costs you more to do it. In my opinion, the Premium System is by far the better value for anyone planning to do anything online. The Core system is really geared toward users with no intention of going online.

Also, you can call MS and they will mail you a CD for emulation patches and whatnot if you have a core system. I'm not sure if you have to pay for shipping or the CD though.

NulloModo said:
Also, you can call MS and they will mail you a CD for emulation patches and whatnot if you have a core system. I'm not sure if you have to pay for shipping or the CD though.

They will ship you a CD for emulation patches but you still need a HDD to load it on to. The CD is just for people with no internet.

You need the HDD for backwards compatibility because the Xbox had an HDD. Most Xbox games used the HDD for caching game content, without the HDD to not only hold the emulator program, but you would essentially break the game when it tried to cache something to the HDD but couldn't.

You must ahve the HDD for backwards compatability, demo's, and trailers. Thats it.

Saving, downloading patches, and downloading XBLA games will all work on an MU. As far as XBLA goes though, I wouldn't reccomend it. I got a shitty core, and until I could find an HDD, I had geo wars on a MU. Filled up most of it right there.

The core system was a copout from microsoft so they could say they have a $299 system. It's really not that much of a deal over a premium anyways, since you'll need a memory card to save games and that costs $40.

Back