X99 MoBo with best audio on board?

Bestio

n00b
I need to purchase a X99 mobo for a Multi GPU system, so I can't use a good soundcard (and I want to avoid external ones).
I will plug it on a good old Entuxiast Home Theater Amplifier (Optical), and I want the best 7.1 / DTS sound for gaming and movies.

The only one with a creative chip is the Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5, it should be the MoBo I need, but as I read here "If it uses the DAC built in that SoundCore chip then it is not going to be that good because it has pretty poor built in DAC and ADC."

Any suggestion?
Realtek soundchips can now finally reproduce surround sound for gaming too?

If I'm recalling this correctly, the Creative Core3D audio tech is driven by a Realtek ALC-1150 which is pretty much what all the X99 boards have so I don't think there is much difference if any.

I need to purchase a X99 mobo for a Multi GPU system, so I can't use a good soundcard (and I want to avoid external ones).
MultiGPU+soundcard is not entirely impossible. If the graphics cards are watercooled and converted to single-slot width, the space is left for other cards.

Not quite sure what you're after here, if you're using an TOSLINK or HDMI out it will be a pure digital signal to the receiver itself. Which board you use really makes no difference in this case (nearly all enthusiast GPUs and boards support 8 channel audio), any sound quality/channel handling will rely on the amp you connect it to.

The board I have (ASRock X99X) has a "purity sound" chip in addition to the Realtek chip, here's the specs on that:

Code:
- Nichicon Fine Gold Series Audio Caps
- 115dB SNR DAC with differential amplifier
- TI® NE5532 Premium Headset Amplifier (Supports up to 600 ohm headsets)
- Direct Drive Technology
- EMI shielding cover
- PCB isolate shielding
- Supports DTS Connect

I use an external full-sized receiver via HDMI-out on mine, but have tested the onboard with numerous closed and open headphones. I'd say it's on-par with 30-40 dollar Fiio or Topping headphone amps, nothing more. HDMI or TOSLINK to a full-sized receiver will absolutely wipe the floor with this.

Back