X850xt capacitor value?

matoch

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone,

I snapped a capacitor of my x850xt video card today. Obviously this won't be covered under any type of warranty so I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me what the value for it would be.

On the board the the capacitor is labeled as c68. On the capacitor the markings read y2 47j UD.

Does anyone have a clue what the voltage and uf value of this capacitor might be?

Thank you,

James

I would have tried that except that the leads on the capacitor are maybe 2mm if I round up.

James

You could probably still do it. Depending on your soldering skills that is.

Could you get a picture of the capacitor and the mounting point?

WOW. This litterally happened to me too yesterday. Mine didn't snap completely off, but just one of the 2 connectors. I had it re-soldered and it worked fine. Take it to a computer repair place and get it done. Mine costed me $20 and they did a good job.

IT kinda looked like this

-0-

and the "-" on the right came undone.

It seems to be a common problem. Bad solder points on the cards. Mines a saphire.

It's probably 47uF rated for at least 12V. Fairly common. And it's likely just a filter cap so might not even be needed although stability could become an issue without it. Voltage really doesn't matter as long as it's larger than what you need. Although 1000V might be overkill. Also polarized more than likely so be sure you put it on in the right direction.

Here's some pictures.

As you can see from the picture of the capacitor the leads are really to short to do anything with. I have tried. I worked in an electronics repair shop for 2 years so I've got quite a bit of experience soldering.

In case you are wondering about why the solder in the first image looks the way it does. I attempted to melt the solder and place the cap on hoping it would grab. Unfortunately it failed miserably.

ati-board.jpg

ati-captop.jpg

ati-capbottom.jpg

Anarchist4000 said:
It's probably 47uF rated for at least 12V. Fairly common. And it's likely just a filter cap so might not even be needed although stability could become an issue without it. Voltage really doesn't matter as long as it's larger than what you need. Although 1000V might be overkill. Also polarized more than likely so be sure you put it on in the right direction.

This does sound very likely. For some reason I didn't consider that the 47 was the uF rating.

This at least sounds worth trying.

I'm still open to idea's if anyone else has them.

Thank you for the replies so far everyone.

James

Does the solder joint pass through the card, or are they just pads?

If they are passthrough holes, you can tape the capacitor in place, then heat the solder joint on the opposite side.

You also could solder a small peice of wire (cut the leads off of a resister or something) and solder those onto the capacitor to lengthen the leads, then solder the now lengthened capacitor onto the board.

chiablo said:
Does the solder joint pass through the card, or are they just pads?

If they are passthrough holes, you can tape the capacitor in place, then heat the solder joint on the opposite side.

You also could solder a small peice of wire (cut the leads off of a resister or something) and solder those onto the capacitor to lengthen the leads, then solder the now lengthened capacitor onto the board.

It just mounts on the surface not through the board itself. Adding the wires isn't a bad idea but my ideal solution is to replace the cap if possible.

James

Back