X800XT only 128MB on my system?

VaMage

n00b
This is a bit of a story but the short of it is after suspecting that my performance wasn't what it should be I ran 3DMark03 on this system. The score wasn't too bad, or too good either, but the strange thing was that my compare said the card only had 128MB of RAM on it.

Now everyone knows 3DMark can be a bit bugged on this stuff, it also shows my speed at 115! So I ran DxCapsViewer and I THINK it looks a bit off as well. However I don't have access to another X800 so I can't compare the out put to anything meaningful.

I called ATI but they had no clue and told me to just RMA the card. Well, I'm not sure it's the card and I won't RMA a good card for no reason.

So, would someone else with an X800 run Device Caps Viewer and tell me what they get for Memory under DirectDraw Devices -> Radeon -> Memory.

I'm getting 117,548,288 Video and Video (local), which I'm pretty sure it the RAM on the card, and if so something is really screwy.

I know this sounds obvious,,, but did you set your video card size in the BIOS to 256MB?

hmm... if not then 3D Mark is really messed up. Are you using the 340 build? It so man, that's weird.... try a few tools and see if it recongnize the full memory size of the card and measure it's speed.

I did move the AGP aperture up to 256 but that doesn't relate to the RAM on the card.

Yep, I am and I added the lastest hotfix, still no luck. More troubling is that Cap Viewer also tells me there is only 128MB on the card.

I found another user with this same problem, we both have 4X AGP mobo's from ASUS so I'm startting to think it's a BIOS issue of some sort.

But, I've called ATI, and wrote to ASUS no luck on either front.

if your able ...pop vidcard in another setup and see what it comes up as ..

by they way go oto 128 on the aperature, Only in rare cases has 256 been a benifit and in some cases it has caused performance losses

The 115 clock thing is common with 3DMark03, FYI. Check your card's memory with the updated Rivatuner (which supports X800 perfectly) and see if it indeed says 256 MB. I've also seen this problem reported elsewhere, if I hear anything I will let you know. It was either at rage3d, guru3d, or beyond3d that I saw it, if that helps. :D

Everest could also tell you, but you should see 256 MB on the very first BIOS post screen.

i read something about this somewhere. i think it said something like either "bit rate is 128" might be what you're seeing, or actual MB of graphics card is 128 but it runs at 256 bits or something. this is real dumb i know, but i THINK i read something along those lines.

Back