X800XL OC

Entropy

Gawd
So I just bought my video card, and this so far overclocks like a BITCH on stock cooling. I have the core running at 444Mhz, and the ram is running at 560Mhz. I'm gonna switch over to an ATI silencer next week and hopefully take the core to ~460. What do you guys think of this overclock? Good? bad? Average? Gimme sme feed back! :D

You may want to check out your temps before getting a third party cooler... Imo they are absolutely worthless for an X800XL, i mean its .11nm and is probably already running cool, the reason that ur overclock is limited is most likely due to the manufacturing process, not the temperature. That OC is about average for an X800XL.

Well.. the heat sink is getting pretty darn hot to the touch, and the ram is getting pretty hot too.

Entropy said:
Well.. the heat sink is getting pretty darn hot to the touch, and the ram is getting pretty hot too.

thats plenty normal.. my ati 9000 pro got hot too(only the ram not the GPU).. check teh temps.. if ati has a temp diode in that thing

Gavinni said:
You may want to check out your temps before getting a third party cooler... Imo they are absolutely worthless for an X800XL, i mean its .11nm and is probably already running cool, the reason that ur overclock is limited is most likely due to the manufacturing process, not the temperature. That OC is about average for an X800XL.

.11 nanometers? Holy crap! The core must be the size of an ant! ;)

Are x800xl's really that cool? I havent seen any numbers for them.

robberbaron said:
.11 nanometers? Holy crap! The core must be the size of an ant! ;)

Are x800xl's really that cool? I havent seen any numbers for them.
11k* edit heh

I recently installed an ATi Silencer Rev 5 and I could overclock to 450/550 without any problems while previously I topped out at around 430/540. It idles at 35 C and goes up to 50ish under load. It seems that the cooling made a difference.

there was a review on HIS x800 xl on GURU site. They managed to oc the core to 440 stable with I.C.E cooling. So imo, it's not worth getting a third party cooling system for x800xl since you are already at its oc limit. BTW, my x800xl runs very cool with core @ 430.

BigHubris said:
I recently installed an ATi Silencer Rev 5 and I could overclock to 450/550 without any problems while previously I topped out at around 430/540. It idles at 35 C and goes up to 50ish under load. It seems that the cooling made a difference.

I got the same temp

I'm idling at 44 and load ~60, i still want a silencer because of the noise though.

44 is kinda high for idle. my temp is 35 before oc and below 40 aftet oc at idle. Ya noise is an issue. x800xl is the noisiest part for me. Do you know if installing a third party cooling fan will void the warranty or not?

steveng said:
44 is kinda high for idle. my temp is 35 before oc and below 40 aftet oc at idle. Ya noise is an issue. x800xl is the noisiest part for me. Do you know if installing a third party cooling fan will void the warranty or not?

Yes, it will void the warranty if you install it, and I'm going to get an ATi silencer, not for the OC reasons mainly, but for the sound! :D

Entropy said:
So I just bought my video card, and this so far overclocks like a BITCH on stock cooling. I have the core running at 444Mhz, and the ram is running at 560Mhz. I'm gonna switch over to an ATI silencer next week and hopefully take the core to ~460. What do you guys think of this overclock? Good? bad? Average? Gimme sme feed back! :D

What brand is it?

Anything is 'hot to the touch' to humans. Diodes and resistors and RAM+GPU, all that shit, can stand much more heat than your skin can ;) Not a very good way to gauge if its overheating eh?

Whoever stated that the xl doesnt need extra cooling because its a 110nm process is wrong, because ATI specifically stated that it is a low-k process, meaning that it does a poor job of conducting heat. This implies that extra cooling would be needed.

heres a pic of my power color core.....

MVC-796F.jpg

also, notice its an x800 pro PCI-e core

My ATI x800 XL at idle is 32-31c with my Zalman copper cooler. I have my core/mem at 445/550 and If I go more on the core it starts to artifact in Ati Tool. I think that's just the limit of this card, and when I'm scanning for artifiacts, my card is running at 48-49c at max load, so that's not too hot.

swflbatth said:
Whoever stated that the xl doesnt need extra cooling because its a 110nm process is wrong, because ATI specifically stated that it is a low-k process, meaning that it does a poor job of conducting heat. This implies that extra cooling would be needed.
It's not low-k...

sparky1_2007 said:
also, notice its an x800 pro PCI-e core

It's labeled as an x800 Pro because ATI was having trouble deciding where to position the chip, which is also why the card dropped in price from $350 MSRP to $299 MSRP after the reviewers got it.

I don't think it has anything to do with it being the same core as a PCI-e X800 Pro.

Back