X800Pro Dying...

Entropy

Gawd
Heya people, my X800pro is dying... and I'm pretty sure its cause the overclocking hehe.. I'm not gonna RMA it because 1) it WAS my fault 2) Has a giant ATI silencer and ramsinks on it :p .

So I'm scoping around for new video cards and I found a fairly good deal right now.. an X800XL AGP for $399 CDN at my local Futureshop. I really wanna try out one of them 6800GT's but they are all around ~550 dollars here, and thats out of my budget. So what do you think.. should I get this X800XL? :confused:

I've heard good things about the X800XL..

What you plan on doing with your X800? You plan on selling it? What exactly is wrong with it? :D

I get a really bad checkerboard pattern in windows.. its off and on, I'm assuming its the ram...

X800XL wins over the 6800gt in most reviews I've seen, try to find one with a HD power connector on it for better OCing potential (not sure if they exist or they aren't all like that but I hear it would help).

~Adam

I've seen some I think, the one I saw at futureshop is a Built By ATI card, and I'm really tempted now... seems like a steal compared to everything else. a 6800GT OC is $650 there!

Entropy said:
So I'm scoping around for new video cards and I found a fairly good deal right now.. an X800XL AGP for $399 CDN at my local Futureshop.

I want to shop at a Futureshop.

It sounds futuristic.

And also shop..........shop....shoppy?

Entropy said:
I get a really bad checkerboard pattern in windows.. its off and on, I'm assuming its the ram...

you installed you ramsinks wrong. if you used as5 clean the card completely, including the core, Q-tips with rubbing alcohol and a couple hours should do the trick. Now if you used the permanent epoxy on the ram sinks and it spilled over onto the PCB, your in for a much longer work time. 2 hours just for the sinks. You need something very small and thin, like a metal toothpick or something like it. Scrape away around the ram sinks with a little strength but not much so you dont start digging into the card. Each time you get some off, use rubbing alchohol + q-tip to clean what you've gotten off.

Dont use AS5 (if you did) again for BGA ram sinks, use a ceramic paste instead for future reference. It sucks i know, but its better to attempt to fix a card and run it at stock speeds then to junk 500-600 and spend another 400. Something on your card is conducting heat or arching that shouldnt, random artifacts is a sign of that. Alternatly you can run at stock speeds, if you still get the corruption, start cleaning.

I dunno, its been running for well over a year like this, and they're using thermal tape.. I'm guessing its just the ram crapping out :(

I've also ran the ram down to 400Mhz and it still does the same thing.

Back