x800 xt pe + doom 3

Nolemiah

Weaksauce
should I be able to play doom 3 smoothly on high settings with the following specs:
a7n8x
athlon xp 2600+
512 corsair xms pc2700
45 gb 7200rpm wd hard drive
sapphire x800 xt pe
audigy 2 platinum

I've been trying but it's really jumpy. I got the xt platinum because I'm also building a different system that I'm going to put it in.

thanks!

It's jumpy because the rest of your system is... not so great, to put it lightly.

oh I know, I was just making sure it was supposed to be jumpy. I'm buying the rest of my machine this week, i was just making sure everything with the video card was working correctly.

What resolution, AA, AF settings, True trilinear isn't an option because its ATI but do you have your driver control pannel settings to performance or quality?

Yeah, the CPU and memory is holding that bad boy back bigtime!

What kind of PSU do you have?

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
What resolution, AA, AF settings, True trilinear isn't an option because its ATI but do you have your driver control pannel settings to performance or quality?

Dude... look at his system. He described jumpiness, not chop. Jumpiness would be caused by his lack of ram, the fact that his ram is old and slow, and by his CPU being outdated. You should be alright at perhaps Medium settings and 1152 res or 1024. But if you're doing an overhaul in a few days, it'll be all under an entirely different system, so it won't matter if it's working alright on this system.

Chances are it's fine, it just sounds like your entire system is holding it back.

I can paly doom 3 fine here at work on a 9600 and my rig oc'd to 2.ghz. 512 or pc3500. I am at 1024 and have af and aa on, too. With the X800XT/Pe you should be able to run at high-quality settings just fine, even if your rig is a tad out dated (it is better then my rig and and D3 is smooth as hell). Have you tired uninstalling all drivers (sound and video) and reinstalling?

It runs like butter on my system with HIGH quality 4xaa and 8xaf doesn't drop below 40fps ever!

Your system is ok. By jumpy do you mean, stop and starting like skipping? Or do you notice tearing in the middle of the screen? If its the tearing especially noticeable when turning around with quick movements with your mouse, just enable Vertical Sync in the driver settings, problem fixed.

Its probably the ram. I am running the same setup as you except with a 6800nu and 1gb of ram. It runs just fine at 1280x1024 on high. I couldn't run at 800x600 smooth when I had 512, but it runs great with 1gig.

Rob94hawk said:
Yeah, the CPU and memory is holding that bad boy back bigtime!

What kind of PSU do you have?

It's not going to hinder his performance that much. Some games are just CPU intensive and some games aren't.

Its not his CPU. A slow CPU simply causes lower frame rates, not choppiness. Its his ram. His system is constantly paging virtual memory on his hd. I had similar issues with the system in sig until I upgraded from 512 mb to a gig of ram.

Try medium quality 1024x768. That helped me alot until I got the gig.

Back