x800 XT and CPU Bottleneck...

I won't name any names, but there are people in this thread with ego problems :D

I think my old Athlon 1.2 beats all of your asses anyway, so there.

yea id hate to say it but someone definately jumped off the deep end. Who the hell cares about all this crap. we should all be happy that there is a new stellar card out and appriciate that its going to lead us to a new erra of computer greatness. anyway before i get screamed at for something im going to hide under my desk...

I think those 2 should take it up in a game of UT2004.

Proof that faster cpu helps... well for 3Dmark2003 at least

on Abit AI7 board for both cpu/X800pro results below

3.2EE @ 247fsb 1:1
2X 512MB OCZ PC3500 Plat LE BH-5 @ 247mhz 2-2-2-6
Gecube X800Pro @ 564/605 = 14,156

3dmark2003_564-605_14156_small.jpg

versus my old 2.8C cpu

2.8C @ 280fsb 5:4
2x 256MB KHX3200K2/512 BH-5 @ 224mhz 2-2-2-6
Gecube X800Pro @ 564/605 = 13,087

3dmark2003_564-605_13087_all_cat47b.jpg

Awesome score, man its getting harder not to drop 700-800 bucks for another 1000 3DMarks. You own.

Well, with my 2600+ (at 200x10.5, so more like a 2700+), I get 11000 with my X800XTPE (stock speeds). I have a 3500+ on order, should have it tomorrow. We'll see how the numbers compare.

Keith

KillDFurby said:
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/x800_pro_athlon_xp/

Read the above mentioned article

There is an obvious bottleneck with the x800pro which means there will be with the x800xt

fc1600.gif

actually, if you RTFA, you would know that the bottleneck is observed for AXP processors. in fact, they say that the bottleneck is relieved in some circumstances if you step up to an A64. For example:

"The graph also shows the benefits of upgrading from a RADEON 9800 XT to the X800 if you have an Athlon 64 3400+."

Someone else already addressed the FarCry marks, so i wont even go there.

Being that the topic was for A64s, your post is kinda misleading...

That graph was definitely read wrong by some using it. It shows the gains from going from an AXP 2100+ to an A64 3400+ at those graphics settings in farcry to be relatively non-existant. Like was said at high IQ these new cards shine and the cpu bottleneck is not well pronounced.

Some of you are thinking of similar looking graphs for games like UT2004 where the bars stay similar across a multitude of cards, for instance going from a GT to Ultra provides little fps benefit, hence the cpu is probably the botleneck. Up the graphics settings and again get the same fps.... another sign of a cpu bottleneck.

Some need to spend less time fighting. I mean they are almost able to read and interpret gaming tests run by enthusiasts.... almost. It is damned funny to see people get all riled up, go "Oh yeah!" then TOTALLY misinterpret a graph and look like an ass. That's geek entertainment right there.

I also am amused by some of the intel fanboy stuff. I wonder if they are so quick to admit that A64's eat there P4's for breakfast. I wonder if in the same breathe in proclaiming how old and outdated AXP's are they might admit Intel's NEW stuff has baggage. The cpu that they are indeed clutching onto (northwood C) has it's writing on the wall without yet a worthy successor.

SIK_L_CELL said:
P4 chips have to run faster than the 64's to keep up.

jawdrop.gif

wow. I didn't know that.
I also wasn't aware that they are completley different architectures, and that the two companies were aiming for competley different goals in processor design when those two chips were made. Do you honestly think that Intel couldn't have done that if they wanted to? ACtually, they are, right now, with the Dothan chip. Funny that a 2ghz Intel chip owns a 2.5ghz barton and 2.2ghz a64. Don;t get me wrong, I'm not an intel fanboi (I wish to death I had a s939 amd a64 system or fx-53, and have owned several amd systems in the past), that statement just amazed me.

Do you honestly think that Intel couldn't have done that if they wanted to?

This sounds like the grade school equivalent on the playground of "I wasn't really trying." I could go on and on but the first post that I noticed was your typical AMD vrs. Intel stuff in this video card thread was you getting heated about how much faster your C is than an AXP. I believe you even used the token 'owned' or 'pwned' so please dont make me laugh on the fanboy topic.

ACtually, they are, right now, with the Dothan chip. Funny that a 2ghz Intel chip owns a 2.5ghz barton and 2.2ghz a64.

What ever happenned to the architecture argument of yours? Is this a fact now? Certainly not on it's current platform meant for laptops can it achieve the gaming performance of an A64. Even if the chip could you'd have a hard time proving that to me since no test rig would have video capabilities of desktops.You probably saw them excel at the same tasks the rest of us saw a few benchies on, but your confident enough to use "owned" again. I also dont get how intel moving towards AMD's philosophy of high IPC, lower MHz isnt more so a testament to how AMD has made a couple good choices lately rather than a testament that intel could make chips with whatever pilosophy they want because they are just so awesome and unworthy of criticism.

I am an AMD fan myself BUT I admit it. The fine line between fan and fanboy are people who make rationalizations for the companies and such. Of course with text based communication the line can become blurred and Im sure Ive sounded pro-AMD but I dont sweat it. Words like "owned" and "pwned" go a long way in figuring out true fan or fanboy. Words like that can totally blast your points and make people take you less seriously. I hate to use the word fanboy in general but when you say in your own words this intel ownz that AMD, even something unreleased in a format to compete, but Im no fanboy, I think "yah... right"

intel has already said theat they will move there new pentiums to the same architecture as the pentium m's

any everyone knows intel nes pentium m chips rocks hard.

best chip intel ever came out with IMHO was the P3 they should bring it back.

KillDFurby said:
best chip intel ever came out with IMHO was the P3 they should bring it back.

im sure the new intel chip have everything or have better feature than the p3 has... no need to bring it back

Back