X800 Pro cooling - VGA Silencer?

Teitoku

Limp Gawd
Will a VGA Silencer fit on this card? I like the shove-the-heat-out-the-back design of the VGA Silencer. I've been told that the mounting holes on the x800 are the same as on the 9700 and 9800, but I don't know about component clearance.

edit: What about existing heatpipe coolers, too? I've got a thermaltake giant II (I think that's the model) laying around.

they have a vga silencer type cooler for the new cards, but im not sure if they sell it stand alone by itself. but its like a vga silencer version 2 or somthing.

check it here.
http://badboy.xtremetuners.com/galaxy.jpg for the 6800
and
here for the x800's
http://www.hisdigital.com/html/iceqpromo_freegame.htm

sorry if that doesnt help you find the answer your looking for. cause im not really sure if the old one can fit or if the new vga silencer will be stand alone sold.

Cool, thanks for those two pages...though they're not exactly what I was looking for. I need a seperate cooler for an x800.

Awesome, thank you very much.

I was just paintshopping together the pic of the vga silencer's dimenions over a photo of the 9800 pro and the x800 pro, and saw that it looked like it'd work.

Now I've got confirmation. Rock on.

edit: Did you have any trouble getting that big honking official cooler off of it?

logicality12 said:
i got the vga silencer rev3 on my x800 pro.. works fine.

What kind of temps are you seeing with that silencer on it?

Heres what im seeing with a Zalman heatpipe with fan.

Load stock cooling, 65C

Load Zalman 55C

Sniper_Merc said:

Heres what im seeing with a Zalman heatpipe with fan.

Load stock cooling, 65C

Load Zalman 55C

Does that heatpipe leave clearance underneath for RAM sinks?

Teitoku said:
Does that heatpipe leave clearance underneath for RAM sinks?

It does on the GPU side, but I had to mod the backside to get it to fit, used longer screws and a few extra rubber washers, had to bend the heat pipe, and make some longer aluminum cross bars. Was a bit of a pain but I got it to work, temp differance is about 10C heavy load vs stock cooling.

There is a newer version of the heatpipe out called the ZM80D-HP that comes with 4 shorter ramsinks for the backside and twin heatpipes. Had I known about it I would have orderd it vs getting the regular one.

Edit: Oh the ramsinks I used are the Vantec solid copper BGA sinks, 8 of em total.

I am using a Thermaltake Extreme Giant 3 w/o the squirrel cage fan (essentialy the same as a zalman heatpipe setup w/ 2 pipes and a fan). I have plenty of room for heatsinks on my x800xt-pe. Might want to look into buying the TEG3 and and some BGA sinks.. should work perfectly.

I run at 38c w/o load, and go as high as 54c w/full load. I don't run the squirrel cage since it is so loud. I am thinking of cutting some holes in the top of the sink (which isn't doing anything anyway really) and mounting a couple 60mm fans on it to get some airflow onto the ramsinks and directly onto the heatpipes.

The PCB's on the X800 are the same as the 9800 series. They just released the VGA Silencer Rev. 3 before the X800's were released, or they weren't tested to fit. They WILL fit, and perform well. They cool better than the Giant III and are much easier to install.

Artic Cooling replied to my email, saying that their rev 4 will be coming out within the next 2 months. The info on the rev 4 will be posted on their website sometime this month. That's all that they disclosed, and that it will fit on the X800 series. *drool*. If you look at the HIS IceQ II X800XT, I think thats what the rev 4 looks like, because if you look at their IceQ 9800s, that's the rev 3... just a thought :p

acaurora said:
Artic Cooling replied to my email, saying that their rev 4 will be coming out within the next 2 months. The info on the rev 4 will be posted on their website sometime this month. That's all that they disclosed, and that it will fit on the X800 series. *drool*. If you look at the HIS IceQ II X800XT, I think thats what the rev 4 looks like, because if you look at their IceQ 9800s, that's the rev 3... just a thought :p

Cool, though it seems that a revision 4 isn't needed...
And that's a revision 2 on the HIS site.

I decided for my x800 that im going to mod a 1U copper Xeon cooler and slap a 41Cfm fan on it (Should be better than any pre-made cooler out there) then add some massive copper ramsinks and microsinks for the rest of the little chips

I've done the copper 1U cooler mod a couple times on 9700-9800pro's and it works great only thing is that the coolers tend to bend the cards down after a while. Actually warping the card a little bit. Cooled better than a VGA silencer probably. I have the silencer now on my current 9800pro and I like it very much. I didn't know the x800's run that hot though, interesting. It being a .13 micron gpu, I thought it would be a bit cooler but I guess not.

From what I've read, they're cooler than 9800xt's due to the manufacturing process.

from what I have seen I wait for the rev.4 to come out it has a copper base / aluminum fin heatsink , where the rev.3 has a all aluminum heatsink

Don't have a temp sensor on my 9700, but I can say that my case temps have improved drastically since I installed the VGA Silencer. Case temp used to stay within about 10 to 15 degrees of my CPU temps. Yesterday my CPU was running 125F (while playing Far Cry) and my case temp stayed at about 86F to 89F (outside temp was 85F, no A/C used).
decided for my x800 that im going to mod a 1U copper Xeon cooler and slap a 41Cfm fan on it (Should be better than any pre-made cooler out there)
I had a 1U copper on mine for a while. Don't know if it worked any better than my VGA Silencer, but I do know my case temps were way higher, and that thing is real heavy and very annoying to listen to. That was with a 60mm fan at about 25cfm.

The Silencer is very quiet and you can't beat the price.

Do you guys know of a PCI intake fan on the market? I've seen plenty of PCI-slot exhaust blower fans but I'd like one that draws air into the case through a PCI slot and then blows the air upwards. I'm interested in getting a GeForce 6800GT and I'd like some cooler air blowing on the the card to help cool the GPU better (and make the fan spin slower). I could bodge something myself but I'd prefer something that doesn't look like it was built by a crazed hillbilly. :)

coz... you could probably buy a PCI exhaust fan and mod it to be an intake fan.

Shouldn't be too hard, and they are relativley cheap.

You would need to find a fan which rotates in the opposite direction since if you just flipped the current fan, it would be blowing down, not up thru the hole.

D.

debaucher said:
coz... you could probably buy a PCI exhaust fan and mod it to be an intake fan.
Yeah, I've also thought about physically reversing the fan. Problem is, the plastic shroud on the PCI slot blowers looks like it's an integral part of the fan. Or is that not what you meant?

Thanks for the reponse. :)

Yea, thats what I meant..
From what I remember about one I had a long time ago, It would come apart, but if I reversed the fan, it would have blown down (into the shroud) so I would have had to cut a hole in the bottom of the shroud for the air to leave.

D.

All the PCI exhaust fans I've seen are not axial, and as a result, cannot be modified to intake. You can't reverse a blower, can ya?

Since the pci slot blowers have DC motors all you need to do technically is reverse the leads. However that would be inefficient because the fan blades were designed for exhaust => tilted the wrong way. It would work but not very well. As for the VGA Silencer rev. 3 the blower has a 2 pin connector. When I tried to install it on my 9800XT which has a 3 pin fan connector a had to do some modding. Also the heatsink on the back of the card for the ram chips is not accounted for in the rev.3 design. So when I took the stock HSF off there was nothing holding the heatsink on the back to the board. I don't know about the x800 cards though.

[H]alcyon441 said:
Since the pci slot blowers have DC motors all you need to do technically is reverse the leads. However that would be inefficient because the fan blades were designed for exhaust => tilted the wrong way. It would work but not very well. As for the VGA Silencer rev. 3 the blower has a 2 pin connector. When I tried to install it on my 9800XT which has a 3 pin fan connector a had to do some modding. Also the heatsink on the back of the card for the ram chips is not accounted for in the rev.3 design. So when I took the stock HSF off there was nothing holding the heatsink on the back to the board. I don't know about the x800 cards though.

That's the first I've heard of 9800 XT's having a stock heatsink on the back of the card.
Got pics of this crazy contraption?

Originally Posted by coz
Do you guys know of a PCI intake fan on the market? I've seen plenty of PCI-slot exhaust blower fans but I'd like one that draws air into the case through a PCI slot and then blows the air upwards. I'm interested in getting a GeForce 6800GT and I'd like some cooler air blowing on the the card to help cool the GPU better (and make the fan spin slower). I could bodge something myself but I'd prefer something that doesn't look like it was built by a crazed hillbilly.

Why not just find a way to reverse the fan on the vga silencer? Itd suck air in from the pci slot and into the case.

aoc007 said:
Why not just find a way to reverse the fan on the vga silencer? Itd suck air in from the pci slot and into the case.
LOL

i just got the VAntec fan card and took off teh pci covers the two pci slots below the card --> LINK

Can someone tell me how specifically you got the 2 pin power connector of the AC Silencer to work on the 3 pin header of the X800 Pro?

Can someone tell me how specifically you got the 2 pin power connector of the AC Silencer to work on the 3 pin header of the X800 Pro?
I didn't hook mine to my card, but used a 3 pin adapter (cause that's all I had) to plug it into the mobo.
I just matched the black and red wires on the cooler to the wires on the adapter, and jammed it on those 2 pins. Works finest kind.

you could take an exhaust fan and modify the the mounting bracket so the fan part mounts outside of case , so in a sense exhaust air into case ..

advanced101101 said:
I decided for my x800 that im going to mod a 1U copper Xeon cooler and slap a 41Cfm fan on it (Should be better than any pre-made cooler out there) then add some massive copper ramsinks and microsinks for the rest of the little chips

I did that to my 9700 pro the first week I got it. It's been on there since and worked great. But I wonder how well those big coolers on modern video cards compare to the 1u hsf mod.

Sarge said:
I didn't hook mine to my card, but used a 3 pin adapter (cause that's all I had) to plug it into the mobo.
I just matched the black and red wires on the cooler to the wires on the adapter, and jammed it on those 2 pins. Works finest kind.

Thanks.

is it possible to directly connect the black and red wires coming off the fan to the psu so i can get full speed rpm of the standard x800 fan as ive modded my x800pro to an xt with 16 pipes and runnin at 534/576 but temps are reachin 85c + im wainting for the atric rev 4 to fit but i need some coolin for the meanwhile...I was told that the pro fan doesnt speed up with the heat as the x800xt does so if i just copnnect the red and black directly will the fan run at full?

Back