X58 setup, how much GPU power is really useful?

jojo69

[H]F Junkie
So yeah, I am running the old X58 setup still, hexcore gulftown running about 4GHz, really happy with it still.

I would like to max out the graphics capability of the machine and I imagine that it has been long enough that it might be possible to overbuy...that is, to spend money on GPU power I can't use because of CPU bottlenecking.

I am pushing 5760x1080 at 60 Hz

I know that it varies from game to game, but can folks give me an idea where the sweet spot for this machine lies?

At that res, you could get the Titan X and still not be bottlenecked in most titles. GPU power is far more important these days

I see no need to upgrade from a 6 core x58 setup my man. 4ghz is plenty fast enough on that chip to push cards at high res.

Oh, I am not interested in a platform upgrade, this system rocks, but the dual 6950s are getting a bit long in the tooth.

Looks like I have to wait another generation before I can load this thing with the last GPU that it will ever make sense to put in it.

Oh, I am not interested in a platform upgrade, this system rocks, but the dual 6950s are getting a bit long in the tooth.

Looks like I have to wait another generation before I can load this thing with the last GPU that it will ever make sense to put in it.

See if the 295x2 cards are still on sale, I got one for $550 from newegg. Beastly card if you have the PSU to run it.

I upgraded from a 4.2GHz i7 920 to a 4.4GHz i7 4770K and my minimum FPS went up 5-10fps in most games, it was noticeable in many cases. You probably don't need to upgrade CPUs just yet, but you would likely see a benefit in games once you have a ton of GPU power.

I upgraded from a 4.2GHz i7 920 to a 4.4GHz i7 4770K and my minimum FPS went up 5-10fps in most games, it was noticeable in many cases. You probably don't need to upgrade CPUs just yet, but you would likely see a benefit in games once you have a ton of GPU power.

Interesting. I have a i7 920 at 4 ghz with 2x290x. Have been debating whether the CPU upgrade would really be worth it. I basically only play BF4.

You'll be fine

I'm not sure you fully understand

I WANT to be CPU limited, just barely.

I want all the GPU power this platform can use without going over, and I am getting the impression that we aren't really there yet, at least without super expensive bleeding edge multi card setups.

Interesting. I have a i7 920 at 4 ghz with 2x290x. Have been debating whether the CPU upgrade would really be worth it. I basically only play BF4.
I noticed it in BF4 as well. BF4 will take advantage of pretty much all the CPU power you have.

At this point though I'd probably hold out for the next -K series chip which I believe will Skylake releasing later this year?

Though an old thread, things haven't changed much. I threw some benchmarks of the difference my 4770K made (not much).

People seem to be upgrading from the x58 platform more out of boredom than performance. Though I must admit it was nice to get the newer features (native USB3, PCIe 3.0, etc.).

People seem to be upgrading from the x58 platform more out of boredom than performance. Though I must admit it was nice to get the newer features (native USB3, PCIe 3.0, etc.).

Exactly right on the boredom point. I don't think I have ever had a single CPU this long. I've cycled through multiple video card iterations with it. I'm getting anxious!

Boredom is the reason I'm selling off my signature rig. I just loaded up The Witcher 3 on it today because of all the performance complaints, and it's floating around 1080p Ultra (minus the motion blurs) 60fps (granted, I haven't been to a big battle scene, and don't intend on playing through the game). The x58 platform is still a solid choice, especially if you're into graphics design or virtualization.

Though an old thread, things haven't changed much. I threw some benchmarks of the difference my 4770K made (not much).

I upgraded because the motherboard was starting to act up and i figured... well good a time as ever!

Funny thing is X58 could be even more lengthy in it's usefulness with DX12. Lopping off all that CPU overhead means the only technical reason to move on will be if games start requiring more recent instructions.

As much as you can afford.

yeah, that is the distinct impression I am getting

Thank you all for the responses, I think I am going to limp the dual 6950s along for now, maybe raid one out of the #2 box and try tri fire.

Truth be told, I am not unhappy with the performance of this setup in the games I play, sure, higher frame rates would be nice, higher candy settings sure, but I'm not playing BF4 or the new Witcher and I'm solidly over 30fps at 5760x1080 in the games I play at medium/high settings.

So, yeah, boredom more than anything itching me to upgrade, and I think I am going to resist, my next big purchase will be the final GPU for this box, and they have not built it yet.

More VRAM would be good..
I'm guessing you have 2gb max.
I think I had a 6950..it was 1 gb..did OK..
Not like a 5870 2gb or 7950 3gb though..
or a 770 2gb..or a 7970 3gb..or a 7870 2gb even...
I'm just putting it out there: used 290x.

Back