X58 Cooling

equinox654

Gawd
Has anyone put a fan on their x58 ioh?
I have a Gigabyte ex58-ud3r and the heatsink on it get pretty hot to the touch. I was having some stability issues at higher memory and cpu speeds and was wondering if that could be the culprit.

probably.. need better cooling in the case or direct a fan toward the chipset heatsink..

I have a MSI X58 Pro and I feel my IOH is hot at 71C on load. How do I take the IOH off to replace the thermal paste? Or maybe attach an active cooler

I have a MSI X58 Pro and I feel my IOH is hot at 71C on load. How do I take the IOH off to replace the thermal paste? Or maybe attach an active cooler

You will have to remove the mb to get at the phillips screws on the backside of the board and remove the entire heatpipe.

It is highly likely a fan attached to the larger heatsink of the heatpipe/heatsink assembly will act to cool the entire assembly to your satisfaction.

A very simple and effective way to attach a fan is to find a low speed (< 2000 rpm or it will sound whiny) 40 or 50mm or maybe 60mm (measure your larger heatsink) fan. Test place the fan on the heatsink finding a location where there are fins directly under at least 2 fan mounting holes and determine what orientaion/direction is best for the fan power connector. The fan should blow down into the heatsink. Lay your machine on its side so the motherboard is laying flat. Use common RTV silicone adhesive and put a large ball or "glob" in each fan mounting hole with 1/2 of the glob in the hole and 1/2 out. Gently lay the fan on the heatsink in such a way that each glob contacts the heatsink fin(s). Very gently press down and wiggle just a tiny bit to ensure the exposed glob get a good "bite: on the fins. You do not want to press the fan all the way down against the heatsink fins but instead leave a small gap. This will both ensure the fan blades do not contact the fins and provide vibration isolation. Do not touch anything for 20 min. You just made a silicone fan mount. Fan can be removed with a easy twist and any remaining silicone will peel off with a fingernail and you would never know anything had been done to the board making fan replacement or removal for whatever reason a snap.

Damn that is hot! What are you running the ioh voltage at?

Running IOH at stock and idle: 58C
IOH during load: ~65C
IOH on load + mild OC: ~71-73C

Board: MSI X58 Pro .... I guess the thermal paste used is not great!

Running IOH at stock and idle: 58C
IOH during load: ~65C
IOH on load + mild OC: ~71-73C

Board: MSI X58 Pro .... I guess the thermal paste used is not great!

Pull the whole heatpipe off and get some MX2 on there, very thin layer. It should improve.

Pull the whole heatpipe off and get some MX2 on there, very thin layer. It should improve.

The issue is that I couldnt take the heatpipe off. Its got white plastic spacer like thingy .... dont know how to take that off without damaging my new mobo :)

The issue is that I couldnt take the heatpipe off. Its got white plastic spacer like thingy .... dont know how to take that off without damaging my new mobo :)

Spacer thingy? The pics on Newegg look like a couple of screws and plastic push pins you squeeze on the backside of the board.

Spacer thingy? The pics on Newegg look like a couple of screws and plastic push pins you squeeze on the backside of the board.

Sorry I called push pins spacers. Yes they are push pins. I couldnt take them out. Am a newbie at this sort of thing. How do I 'squeeze' the push pins. They are quite tiny, i.e. the protrusions are tiny.

Antec SpotCool

ANTECSPOTCOOL.jpg

I wonder if having the x58 heatsink connected via heat pipe to the power circuitry heatsink is heating up the x58 my much.

Back