x2 3800+ or x2 4200+?

AznAnarchy99

[H]ard|Gawd
Im currently looking at these 2 amd cpus. I have never owned any AMD cpus and im wondering, which is better at overclocking (typically on xp-90 air), which is the better value (money performance wise), and which would suit me better on a dominant gaming system with encoding/decoding work. Im currently rereading alot of reviews on them but information from real people is much easier and better in my opinion.

AznAnarchy99 said:
Im currently looking at these 2 amd cpus. I have never owned any AMD cpus and im wondering, which is better at overclocking (typically on xp-90 air), which is the better value (money performance wise), and which would suit me better on a dominant gaming system with encoding/decoding work. Im currently rereading alot of reviews on them but information from real people is much easier and better in my opinion.

The 3800's seem to be able to run just as fast overclocked as the faster chips...I say save the cash, get the 3800, and overclock it. With stock volts you would probably already be at 2.4....that's well over 4200 territory by far....and almost into 4800 territory...

i know. i was looking at it. I was wondering if the 4200 ocs are like how P4 Northwoods and Pressys are. (Pressys same OCs as Northwoods dont necissarly (sp?) are better than the other)

huh? that made no sense. northwood -> prescott is an entirely different core. 3800+ -> 4200+ may or may not be native 2x512kb or 2x1024mb (with 1/2 disabled) cache.. same core otherwise ;)

I wouldn't waste money on a 4200+ when a 3800+ will go clock for clock; with good RAM and power supply. Now if you are talking 3800+ or 4400+, that is another thing.

Probably depends what you want to do.. I finally decided to spend a few extra bucks on the 4200 for basically only one reason.
*RAM*
I figured the 11x multi would help me out much more with my 2gig kit.. not easy to find a 2 gig kit (IMHO) that will take much more than about 250 fsb, even with divider in use. If you dont need or think you will want 2 gigs later.. go for the 3800 (10x multi) and a good 1 gig kit, I've seen very few peeps have much trouble getting a wonderful O.C. out of it. My 4200 went to 2.7 with my Ballistix, before I said screw it and put my OCZ back in. Peace!!

Well i got this out of my 3800+ with dodgy TwinX pc3200c2 v1.5 ram.
x2.JPG

Using a 166 divider with ram running at 205mhz or so

Nice OC.. I had no luck whatsoever with that Mobo.. I could clock it up some.. but certain applications would crash.. BF2 in particular. Maybe mine was just bad. Peace!

Back