x-qpack case mod, need your opinion

I recently did a similar transformation of a Microfly (essentially a slightly longer Qpack, you can see my worklog here) If you turn the mobo facing that way, I would make sure that you have the mobo close enough to the back of the case so that when your video card is installed it doesn't interfere with either of the HD mounts. From your picture it looks like it should be clear, but remember the hard drives will have power/IDE cables sticking out the back of them (unless you can turn them around.)

The only other thing I'd worry about would be loss of rigidity from cutting the support beam. I altogether removed the beam on my case, although I also had the whole side panel in place to stabilize that side.

If it's possible, test fit as many of your components in the case as you can to make sure that it will all fit before chopping up your pretty new case, and make sure to take pictures for us . :)

wow that is a really clean mod! thanks for the link... gives me more idea on modding.

also thanks for the heads up on the hd/video card positioning, did not realize that. considering my hds are both sata, the plugs will be located close to the support beam which could touch the video card. i think i shouldnt have a problem with that since the vid card will be located either on the 2nd or 3rd pci bracket away from the i/o plate (hopefully)

Looking great so far. Have fun!

(Might be time to move this into the worklogs forum.)

Back