X-Fi or Z-5500 for digital sound?

Deviationer

[H]ard|Gawd
So I have been wondering, should I let my X-Fi card decode AC3/DTS or let the Logitech Z-5500 pod decode it over optical?

the x-fi will have a lot of crackling and popping at high volumes, and that's why I use the speakers.

I let my Elite Pro do the decoding. In an A/B comparison I believe the card's decoding sounds superior to that of the Z5500 control pod.

I let my Elite Pro do the decoding. In an A/B comparison I believe the card's decoding sounds superior to that of the Z5500 control pod.

Yeah I'm sure it is. However depending on the decoding done, the pops and snaps will be very present and ruin the sound. For example I've tried running my 360 through drive bay that came with my platinum and have the card decode it's dolby signal to my speakers. At high impact moments in gaming or movies I'd get major pops. This was the same for the Audigy 2 zs platinum I had as well.

Well, I was under the impression the OP was not talking about an external device. I've never tried hooking up a console or cable box to the external box for decoding. I've always just run them straight to the Z5500 control pod.

Digital sound like AC3/DTS from DVD's and .TS/Mpeg2 HD streams. Or divx/xvid movies with ac3.

Unless your X-Fi is the Elite Pro, Z-5500 will give a better sound for the decoding.

Back