X-Box Processor

Thermite Paste

Supreme [H]ardness
Does anyone know of a way that i can take the processor off an old xbox motherboard and use it in a pc? i was just wondering because i got two off the internet for cheap.

^Not so fast, that would make a pretty decent processor for home theatre or for a server even. But yeah, I dont see why it wouldnt work.

GL:D

i believe its just regular s370 so you should be able to go for it

it is soldered to the motherboard, and doesnt have pins on it as such, so you can use it in a socket.

And then you would have to spend hours unsoldering, and then soldering it onto the new motherboard.

yeah, i always thought that it was soldered. but i saw this place selling extremely modded xboxes with upgraded tualatin celerons. i find it crazy that they would desolder+resolder cpu's on there. thats another eek

Originally posted by ziddey
yeah, i always thought that it was soldered. but i saw this place selling extremely modded xboxes with upgraded tualatin celerons. i find it crazy that they would desolder+resolder cpu's on there. thats another eek
did you miss that link on the fromt page about the 'super' xboxes?

Originally posted by ziddey
what do you mean

I'm assuming he's referring to the XBoxes that some company is putting 1.4Ghz processors and another 64MB of ram in. Good for linux - but not much else. I don't read the front page anymore so I'm not sure if that's what he's referring to or not...

Anyways the processors are BGA style chips - so you would need some specialized equipment to remove them. And that equipment isn't cheap either. You'll be better off selling them. Also check if you have Samsung DVD drives - those are like gold.

yeah i know. that was what i was referring to also... so thats what my question was

heres the info on the front page if anyone missed it...
___

Tweaked XBox Feedback:

We posted on this "enhanced XBox" last week, and mentioned that we really did not see the point in it. We finally got back some feedback on the unit from someone that had seen one in person. Bennett Ring of Australia's #1 gaming mag, PC PowerPlay, had this to say:

I tried out this unit at last year's Computex 2003, and it was pathetic.

The guy who demonstrated it to me kept going on about how fast it was, and I could see why when he booted it up - the games all ran at twice their normal speed! And I'm not talking about frame rates, we're talking game speed. It was bloody ridiculous, yet they touted this as a 'feature' of it!

Oh yeah, none of the DVD intros at the start of games worked either, but I'd say that's fixable. Unlike the "game on crack" effect.

Stay the hell away!

I guess that goes to show you that faster is not always better, but your gf could've told you that.

___

Back