WWDC 14

ultraman7k

Limp Gawd
Currently watching at work on Twitch since we don't have macs, but it looks like OSX Yosemite has gone flat as reported earlier.

So far, it looks pretty clean and slick.

Seems like they just baked Alfred into Yosemite. Hopefully it's as flexible as Alfred.

I think iCloud drive is a step in the right direction for photo management...

Can someone explain to me the difference between iCloud Drive and Dropbox/OneDrive etc?

So far it looks similar, but the benefit to using iCloud Drive is probably greater for those heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem.

Also, Airdrop is now ubiquitous!

Some of this stuff is going to DESTROY iPhone batteries. Hotspot mode already does so on mine, and I use it sparingly. I can't imagine leaving it on all the time so it can talk to a computer...

This is looking like a pretty impressive update, which is unexpected. They're certainly finding good ways for people to get into the entirety of their ecosystem with this stuff.

Nice of Apple to add:

- Markup which is Samsung Touchwiz pen markup feature
- Continuity which is like Chrome remote desktop
- SMS and voice calls on desktop like Google Voice

I really do hate the disingenuous stuff on Apple's Keynotes:
"Many users are running an OS from 4 years ago. That's like ancient history."
The malware claims...
4 year old iOS devices cannot run iOS7
There is no real malware for Andoird on the Play Store. Just third party sources which... oh yea... aren't available from Apple.

Aregh. Nerd rage.

I really do hate the disingenuous stuff on Apple's Keynotes:
"Many users are running an OS from 4 years ago. That's like ancient history."
The malware claims...
4 year old iOS devices cannot run iOS7
There is no real malware for Andoird on the Play Store. Just third party sources which... oh yea... aren't available from Apple.

Aregh. Nerd rage.

Not to nitpick, but iPhone 4 was released in 2010. It runs iOS 7.

Is it just me, or does the render of the iPhone they are using on the big screen look a little... different?

Not to nitpick, but iPhone 4 was released in 2010. It runs iOS 7.

The iPhone 4 was released slightly less than four years ago. Runs iOS 7.

Technically, sure, but not functionally. It has a bunch of stuff hacked out so it can run, but it then proceeds to destroy the hardware and has crap performance (was why my wife got rid of her 4s, it was essentially unusable).

It TECHNICALLY runs on the phone, but in every day use, it doesn't run sufficiently to count at the end of the day, even after it was neutered from the iPhone 5/5s version.

That's not been my experience. I installed 7 on my iPhone 4 before I sold it. It performed as well as iOS 6 did. The iPhone 4 is an order of magnitude slower than modern phones in more than one way, and particularly when it comes to GPU performance.

It was the case that the first couple releases of iOS 7 ran particularly poorly on the 4. That's no longer the case.

It was the case that the first couple releases of iOS 7 ran particularly poorly on the 4. That's no longer the case.
This is possible, since I waited for the first update to fix it, and when it didn't (over a month after iOS7 was released), we moved her to a new phone. Did you install any apps before you sold it? Adding apps and things in the background might have been a cause too.

I have an iPhone 5 for work, and was excited to see what iOS 8 would bring, but I am so far not impressed. Don't care about the photo stuff, and baking in Snapchat into iMessage doesn't do me any good because my friends all have Android phone, and I use Hangouts mostly, and I don't text my coworkers. Some of the mail tricks are nice though.

Extensibility for devs, widgets in notification center!

Safari extensions too it seems for iOS.
3rd party keyboards. There you go swype users.

Extensibility for devs, widgets in notification center!

The widgets don't excite me much (it sill seems like you have to go TO them in the notification center, as opposed to just being on a home screen), but the extensibility is very good news! Here's hoping we will see apps play together more!

BUT THIRD PARTY KEYBOARDS!!!!!
DSC_1438.jpg

Hell hath frozen over!

This WWDC is just ridiculous. The hits just keep coming.

Hits? I'm not sure hits is the term I'd use...

I mean, most of these things are feature-parity with competitive OSs. Nothing is truly insane or innovative. The device syncing is cool, but anyone with an iPhone that uses it as a hotspot will tell you what that will do to the battery. Otherwise OSX 10.10 is a facelift to match the iOS UI.
As for iOS 8, again, mostly attempts at feature parity with WinPhone/Android (pseudo widgets) or baking in someone else's app (Snapchat into iMessage).

Swift is really the newest thing, but users aren't going to care much, as long as stuff works.

And now, Apple's announcing Swift, a new programming language. It's superfast, faster than both Python and Objective C.
Well, being faster than Python is certainly no feat.

I like what I'm seeing for iOS8 thus far. Apple has been busy.

Can't wait to see the new hardware now.

edit: damn... they have their own version of mantle. Awesome

Did I hear right that they are going to have cloud hosting for apps? Basically a Apple version of Microsofts Azure? Swift looks neat, everything else ranged from nice to meh nothing revolutionary.

I mean, most of these things are feature-parity with competitive OSs. Nothing is truly insane or innovative. The device syncing is cool, but anyone with an iPhone that uses it as a hotspot will tell you what that will do to the battery.

Boy, where to begin. Your unrealistic usage scenarios—people don't plug their phones in to charge at home!—or your claim that users of other combined desktop and mobile OSes have had the same features generated by the hotspot syncing.

Your claims about iOS 7 and the iPhone 4 were pretty funny, too.

edit: damn... they have their own version of mantle. Awesome

Metal is not Mantle. And let's not get into the habit of referring to low level graphics APIs as "version of Mantle".

But it's definitely a huge deal. New graphics API, new programming language… honestly, OpenGL has been taking a lot of hits lately in the gaming arena. The biggest thing for OpenGL in gaming right now is, what? SteamOS?

Last edited:
It TECHNICALLY runs on the phone, but in every day use, it doesn't run sufficiently to count at the end of the day, even after it was neutered from the iPhone 5/5s version.

Can confirm. My fiancee's iPhone 4 (regular) has iOS7 on it and is awfully slow. The battery life also lasts like 5-6 hours only but that's probably because of the battery itself being so old.

Boy, where to begin. Your unrealistic usage scenarios—people don't plug their phones in to charge at home!—or your claim that users of other combined desktop and mobile OSes have had the same features generated by the hotspot syncing.

You're ignoring the fact that it has to be on ALL THE TIME to work. At home, sure you can be plugged in. But what about at work? While commuting?

As for other OSes, none of this hotspot syncing is required. OneDrive is seamless. Google Apps/Drive is pretty much the same. Why require hardware proximity to work? What if I forget my phone at work?
But it's definitely a huge deal. New graphics API, new programming language… honestly, OpenGL has been taking a lot of hits lately in the gaming arena. The biggest thing for OpenGL in gaming right now is, what? SteamOS?

Don't forget Wolfenstein!!!

You're ignoring the fact that it has to be on ALL THE TIME to work. At home, sure you can be plugged in. But what about at work? While commuting?

Then at that point, it doesn't work. Apple made no guarantees of long range connections. They specifically used a local home environment as the example. The phone was on "the other side of the house" not on the other side of the town, as in your examples.

As for other OSes, none of this hotspot syncing is required. OneDrive is seamless. Google Apps/Drive is pretty much the same. Why require hardware proximity to work? What if I forget my phone at work?

Because this is entirely different functionality from Google Drive syncing.

Really great stuff. Tons of "little" things that will make my working in the ecosystem a lot smoother. I'm pretty pleased with iOS8 and OSX 10.10. Feature parity for some things? Maybe. But no one else puts it all together like that and that's what matters.

Some of this stuff is going to DESTROY iPhone batteries. Hotspot mode already does so on mine, and I use it sparingly. I can't imagine leaving it on all the time so it can talk to a computer...

You won't leave hotspot on all the time. My guess is that it uses Bluetooth LE to talk between authenticated devices to tell it to fire up the hotspot when you want it.

Then at that point, it doesn't work. Apple made no guarantees of long range connections. They specifically used a local home environment as the example. The phone was on "the other side of the house" not on the other side of the town, as in your examples.
That's my point... why limit it, on an LTE enabled device, to just local connections? It makes no sense. A word document or photo is going to be, for all intents and purposes, instantly sent from one device to another. As I understand it, the Handoff and Airdrop functionality allow you to, short-range, "toss" a document mid-edit from one device (phone) to another (mac). This is automatic on MS and Google apps, and essentially so with any file saved in dropbox. So i don't see the big deal.
Their examples are an email or a document. If I start an email on my phone and close the app, it's waiting for me in gmail on my computer. If I am working on a document in Google drive on m y phone, it's waiting for me on my computer. I don't have to DO anything. Certainly no added battery-draining hotspot feature/function.
Even Hangouts already does Voice/messaging across devices, no "syncing" required, and certainly no proximity.

You won't leave hotspot on all the time. My guess is that it uses Bluetooth LE to talk between authenticated devices to tell it to fire up the hotspot when you want it.

I don't think so: all of this stuff was mentioned in the context of a hotspot and cellular hotspot functionality... how Yosemite will "see" your hotspot automatically to do this stuff AND access the internet.

I don't think so: all of this stuff was mentioned in the context of a hotspot and cellular hotspot functionality... how Yosemite will "see" your hotspot automatically to do this stuff AND access the internet.

Nah. Just wait. If your hotspot is on today OSX already sees it. What more would you gain? The idea is to let the devices talk in close proximity. That's BT LE.

The biggest thing for OpenGL in gaming right now is, what? SteamOS?
That rather depends on whether you include the ES subset as part of "OpenGL in gaming". I, for one, do — it's just a subset, after all. Thus, the entirety of mobile gaming is what's biggest for OpenGL right now.

Some interesting here. One notable thing missing that's been in the rumor mill for a while, side by side app multitasking for the iPad. But a remove did drop last week that this was still a WIP.

OSX is simply gorgeous. Now, why can't Microsoft get rid of those ugly tiles and advance its oudated desktop UI past the cavemen era.

That's my point... why limit it, on an LTE enabled device, to just local connections? It makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense. Why do you need instant sync with a device that's on the other side of town, when you aren't there to take advantage of the features the sync brings? They'll sync up when you get home.

On one hand, you're bashing the battery drain--when you don't know if there is actually battery drain, because this most likely uses Bluetooth LE--but on the other hand you're expecting the feature to work in ways that would kill the battery without any benefit. Make up your mind.

Either you're trolling or you genuinely do not understand the feature that was demonstrated.

That rather depends on whether you include the ES subset as part of "OpenGL in gaming". I, for one, do — it's just a subset, after all. Thus, the entirety of mobile gaming is what's biggest for OpenGL right now.

iOS is the biggest and most significant mobile gaming platform not called the 3DS (which doesn't use OpenGL/ES anyway). Metal removes that "entirety of mobile gaming" for OpenGL.

No, I don't believe it does. I did not see Metal defined as an OpenGL ES replacement.

Besides, you said "right now", not "when iOS 8 is released", "when developers port their catalogues to Metal" or otherwise.

Basically every single thing Apple announced today is a copy of Google - Drive, Google+ cloud photos and backup, Google Now type integration and data (but less so), some sort of widgets, 3rd party keyboards, a limited form of Intents, minor UI refresh in OSX (cmon, how many times can they call translucency, a feature from almost decade old Vista as gorgeous??), voice calls on the desktop (Google Voice).

Hardly any innovation, but of course everyone will soon claim its the greatest thing ever.

It's typical Apple, deny users features for years, then add them and act as if the greatest invention ever. They could;ve added support for 3rd party keyboards years ago, its trivial to do, but refused to. Now its another 'feature' to trumpet.

Basically every single thing Apple announced today is a copy of Google - Drive, Google+ cloud photos and backup, Google Now type integration and data (but less so), some sort of widgets, 3rd party keyboards, a limited form of Intents, minor UI refresh in OSX (cmon, how many times can they call translucency, a feature from almost decade old Vista as gorgeous??), voice calls on the desktop (Google Voice).

Hardly any innovation, but of course everyone will soon claim its the greatest thing ever.

It's typical Apple, deny users features for years, then add them and act as if the greatest invention ever. They could;ve added support for 3rd party keyboards years ago, its trivial to do, but refused to. Now its another 'feature' to trumpet.

Then you don't get Apple. Simple as that. Apple could have put that stuff out years ago but it would be the mess that Google's "ecosystem" is today. Products from the same company that barely acknowledge the existence of each other. I understand this is HardForum where feature checklists rule the day but Apple isn't that company. If all the features is what you want this isn't the right platform for you. If well baked, well integrated features are what you want Apple is the platform.

Back