Wtb ubiquiti UAP and edge lite

As the title says. Decided to go the Ubiquiti route rather then consumer wifi device. Let me know what you have. Probably looking for 3 UAP and 1 edge router or any router you may reccomend. Also looking for possibly an outdoor AP but maybe the 3 AP might cover the area I need.

Cheers!

AZC

Great APs, have 2 in my house and really only needed 1 the range is so good. Bump.

Keep an eye on Amazon Warehouse. I got what seemed like a brand new ERL3 for $70.

just happening to be scrolling through when I saw this.... pm sent

I just went ubiquiti myself. Have the edge router lite and one uap lr, soon to pick up a second one. Stay away from the uap ac model, it's not looked upon as a good performer.

One other brand that I also tried and really liked was mikrotik, the RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN
to be specific. It's fantastic!! The only reason I kept the ubiquiti is because I already had it and would have had to eat some cost to return it. Also, for me the ubiquiti was easier to setup what I needed. The mikrotik is a beast though and a killer value. Just my.02. Either will be great, enjoy.

Thanks guys for the responses. Would I not be doing myself any justice by just sticking with my Frontier previously Uverse modem/router/wireless and disabling the wireless and just connecting a couple of the Unifi AP? The reason with going with unfi system is I'm sick of going with consumer brand wireless routers then connecting range extenders to cover areas that have no signal. I want a system I can add a couple AP to cover the 2500 sqft colonial home (not afraid to run wire) and then add a outdoor wireless AP to cover the yard and stream music to pool watch HD streams outside etc.

Thoughts?

Cheers!

AZC

The reason with going with unfi system is I'm sick of going with consumer brand wireless routers then connecting range extenders to cover areas that have no signal.

Sounds to me like that's exactly what you would continue to do if you don't go on and get the edge router. But, if you don't need the advanced features the edge router offers and the router that you have now is stable/reliable enough for you then you can use it if you choose. I'd seriously look into the mikrotik router I mentioned earlier, it has a 1watt wifi that is quite potent. Plus it's rock solid and has crazy amounts of features. Also, if you end up with a dead spot I think it has one poe port on it and mikrotik makes waps that could be added if needed. It's only $120, which is very reasonable for what you get. The only caution with either it or the edge router is they are somewhat advanced in regards to setup, the mikrotik being slightly more nerdified.

I suppose it really depends on your needs/wants. I went with ubiquiti cause I like the OS and it made a bit more sense to me over mikrotik. Plus, as I mentioned earlier I already had it and was gonna loose money to send it back. I wanted something other than the chain store offerings (I had a asus rt-ac66r that I just sold) because I needed more features, particularly traffic shaping. Ubiquity also appealed to me because the waps are wife friendly and I can deploy them through out the house and she prolly wouldn't even notice them if I turned off the glowing ring on them. Those were my reasons, if you just want reliable, then I would imagine there are more user friendly units (not sure what nerd level you're at, so take no offense) if you don't need advanced features. Again tp-link makes, in my experience, good stuff.

Your money, your call. :)

Last edited:
Back