WTB server memory HMA82GU7AFR8N-UH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, I have that type of mem, but 8gb sticks
mehh
What's the price for 8 sticks? Maybe others are looking and they bump into this thread..I probably hold for 16gb unless the price is very good
HMA81GU7AFR8N-UHT0 (exact model plz) correct?

So let's look this up real quick: 16 GB DDR4-2400 ECC UDIMM, Hynix AFR chips?

Alas, I can't help with that. All my spare ECC DDR4 happens to be 32 GB RDIMMs - need a server or workstation platform for those.

Also, you can get 32 GB DDR4-3200 DDR4 ECC UDIMMs nowadays, though you're looking at $72 per stick at minimum, maybe less if there's a supplier I'm overlooking. Might be something to consider if you're looking at outright upgrading.

I have it...just VERY finiky with memory.Trying to stay with whatever Asrock recommends
https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X299 WS/IPMI#Memory
X299 - not quite the expected C621 server/workstation chipset for that socket, no official RDIMM support. You definitely need UDIMMs.

Intel's market segmentation is such a pain with that, gotta have a Xeon and a supported chipset together if you want to even think about cheap RDIMMs and LRDIMMs from the second-hand market.

AMD isn't much better with sTR4/X399 because they didn't want Threadripper to cannibalize EPYC too much, so I'm in the same boat after my dual LGA2011-3 server bricked.

Since you're aiming for ECC support, let me guess: this is a TrueNAS build, or maybe a Proxmox VE build. Definitely something server/homelab-oriented where reliability is most important.

X299 - not quite the expected C621 server/workstation chipset for that socket, no official RDIMM support. You definitely need UDIMMs.

Intel's market segmentation is such a pain with that, gotta have a Xeon and a supported chipset together if you want to even think about cheap RDIMMs and LRDIMMs from the second-hand market.

Indeed. If you are running x299 along with a Xeon, you may be able to use RDimms. Seems to be quite common. I'm running a 12 core xeon on a x299 Deluxe, with 4x32GB 2133mhz RDimms. Was going to try 64GB modules, but decided to just go the route of confirmed working based on scoured info from the web.

Pretty cheap too, you could try looking at the same modules, as I've found gigabyte and asus boards to work with them, as long as you use a xeon. Cost me roughly $20 dollars a stick via fleabay. Samsung M393A4K40BB0-CPB modules are what I picked up.

Regardless though, if you are picking up any Rdimms, just make sure they aren't HPE branded memory, or any that may have custom designed compatibility enforcement for brand name OEM's...as it may not work.

Reactions: Binar
like this
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back