WTB: Dell MD1200 drive array

mvmiller12

[H]ard|Gawd
Wanted: Dell MD1200 Drive Array with both MD12 controllers and 600W power supplies

Preferred with drive caddies, interposers are a definite bonus

I can definitely get this stuff on eBay pretty readily, but figured I'd check here on the [H] first.

Not in any rush. By necessity, this will need to be purchased with tax money, and that should be here in another week or 2 is now here, and even then, still not a massive rush.

Background: I have an old discarded PowerEdge R515 I use as my media server (all of my CD's, DVD's and BluRays for video, and all of my old PC media CD's, DVD's and Floppies with scanned manuals in PDF), and that machine excels in that role. I have it currently configured using a PERC H700/H800 combo with 8x8TB drives in a HW RAID 6. My cousin has been living with us for several years, and he bought an old R510 for funsies and populated it with the same drives and I have been backing up my collection to that machine ever since. My cousin plans on moving out near the end of the year, and I will need to get my own setup for this purpose before then.

My ultimate goal is to switch the R515 (currently running Windows) to FreeNAS running ZFS. It is equipped with 2x Opteron 4174HE CPUs (roughly equivalent to Phenom II x6 CPUs) with 32G of low power DDR3 RDIMMS, and a 512G SATA SSD for OS duties - should be good 'nuff for FreeNAS. I already have an H200 adapter for the internal array and an LSI card for the external array that will work nicely.

Last edited:
Back