WTB: Cheap wireless router with built-in IPS

sMiLeYz

Limp Gawd
My use case is I have family members that are not computer literate, and they dont run AV. I have had to goto their place to de-ransomware their pc's once awhile.

They have FIOS wireless router/modem combo. I don't really need any crap about installing linux or installing Pfsense with a access point. I don't have alot of time to set it up.

So I'm looking for a cheap basic rotuer with IPS like capabilities. Preferably 60 bucks or less shipped that doesn't require a subscription, and can be self managed.

A router TP-Link homecare or Asus Trend Micro protection would be ideal.

Let me know what you have.

Only home router I know with true ips (suricata) is synology's. However that can only hold roughly 30-40 Mbps in "blocking" mode. The Asus crap is not true ips.

Norton core and bitdefender box (2) could be found used, but need active subscriptions.

If your really worried about them and don't want to pay for per device av, that might be a better option.

Last edited:
Yes yes I know. It's for my family and not an enterprise. I'm looking for a cheap set and it forget it option.

At this point I might just set up a pi-hole pulling from malwaredomains list and call it a day.

Ttt

I wasn't trying to steer you the enterprise way by any means.

If you want, I have the Synology RT-2600AC router which has suricata built in, and would offer real protection, not just domain name redirects. But has the limitations I spoke about above.

$130 shipped and it's yours. (more than your $60 budget though, so sorry about that)

PiHole would be something I was add in addition to IPS. Two different things...

EDIT: If you have some old parts laying around, you could always build a PFS sense box, then just add a wifi ap.

Back