WTB: an x58 motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redshirt #24

2[H]4U
I'm looking for a substitute/quasi-replacement for my MSI x58 Pro (insanely hot northbridge, known issue)...I thought I'd see if someone had something modest and modestly priced before I went shopping. I don't need that much: I need something that's ATX-sized, stable--screw overclocking--and has a PS/2 keyboard port. I can throw in an Asus Xonar D2X for trading purposes in a pinch.

(And above all else it needs to have a decent %&#*%&!! NB heatsink.)

The temps on those do run a little high due to the passive heatsink but mine never caused any problems. Did you try replacing the thermal grease? I never even checked the temps on mine. I read all the reviews before buying it, put some good TIM under the heatsink when it came in, and commenced overclocking! I did replace it with an evga X58 board yesterday to take advantage of 3-way SLI (eventually) and the NB fan is already driving me crazy. Anyway, best of luck...

yea several posts below yours is someone selling a msi x58 they state the talk about the NB running hot and said he just replaced the paste and never worried about it. Hasn't had any problems running at 3.66 on his 920 so you may look into that first before spending tons more money. I mean heck 6.99 for a tube of paste or 100+ for a board. Hell I'm just trying to find a board been bumping and bumping. :-( Guess it doesn't help that I'm picky and trying to keep a color theme though (red on black) Narrows my choices to the evga classifieds, or foxconn bloodrage 1366 or FlamingBlade 1366 :-( Sign damn fiances Slumber Parties business and a red and black office sh^t!

yea several posts below yours is someone selling a msi x58 they state the talk about the NB running hot and said he just replaced the paste and never worried about it. Hasn't had any problems running at 3.66 on his 920 so you may look into that first before spending tons more money. I mean heck 6.99 for a tube of paste or 100+ for a board. Hell I'm just trying to find a board been bumping and bumping. :-( Guess it doesn't help that I'm picky and trying to keep a color theme though (red on black) Narrows my choices to the evga classifieds, or foxconn bloodrage 1366 or FlamingBlade 1366 :-( Sign damn fiances Slumber Parties business and a red and black office sh^t!

Yeah, that was my MSI X58 Pro for sale! :D What, you don't want to buy my sexy BROWN motherboard?

Yeah, that was my MSI X58 Pro for sale! :D What, you don't want to buy my sexy BROWN motherboard?
lmao nope sorry not unless your painting it first LMAO Good luck at that. Its not so much the board color as the accents that you will actually notice through the side window. The case will be red and black inside and out with red lighting exva gtx 295 ftw since they are red and black the ram is red sata cables are red.
Not exactly sure what I'm going to do about a psu. Mine is chrome lol Kinda have a little bit of a problem there I guess. All the wc lines will be red. Its my first truly modded case. I mean yea anyone can buy a nice case and put lighting in it, but this rig will be custom this time around. I work at home as my fiances attendant so I have a ton of time on my hands when she isn't cracking the whip on me and going hitler. Like she has been the last 3 days since she ordered $5000 in more products I've been going through and organizing everything for her. SIGH
Finished last night about 10pm. WOOOOHOOOOO

The temps on those do run a little high due to the passive heatsink but mine never caused any problems. Did you try replacing the thermal grease? I never even checked the temps on mine. I read all the reviews before buying it, put some good TIM under the heatsink when it came in, and commenced overclocking! I did replace it with an evga X58 board yesterday to take advantage of 3-way SLI (eventually) and the NB fan is already driving me crazy. Anyway, best of luck...
I did replace the NB TIM with AS5 when I got it, but for whatever reason I had never touched the SB...I finally slapped some AS5 on that side last week, used some nylon bolts to lock the whole thing down, and it seems to have helped a lot.

The good news is that I don't have to get another motherboard (yet, I suppose). So this thread can fade into Bolivian...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back