WTB: 24 Ports+ 10G Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk3tch

2[H]4U
Hi all -

Looking to get 24 ports or more of 10G copper Ethernet (SFP+, of course, A-OK). Just got a Cisco Nexus 3064-T used from eBay and it was a disaster (warped, high latency for some reason, and extremely loud) - so I am leaning back towards the prosumer side. However, if you guys have a great recommendation or a unit that works (loud is OK - but not too crazy loud).

My current switch is a Cisco SG500-52P 52-Port Gigabit PoE Stackable Managed Switch that I bought from someone here - just want to rachet up to 10G otherwise that unit is awesome. PoE is not necessary but a plus!

Using about 22 ports (active) right now so 24 port, minimum.

Let me know what you have!

Thank you!

Heat - https://www.heatware.com/u/124338/to

EDIT: bought a used Netgear XS748T - all set!

Last edited:
Brocade ICX series from Ebay? Most anything with 24ports for 10Gb is going to be enterprise level and potentially loud..

Do you actually need that many 10Gb ports?

If you want all RJ45 copper you likely want a switch with it built in. 10GBase-T SFP+ modules are not cheap, plus a lot of SFP+ switches have limits on how many they can take because they draw a lot more power and run hotter than optical SFP+. It's common for a 24-port switch to only be able to support 12 10GBaste-T transceivers. 10G MMF fiber SFP+ transceivers are like $20, but 10Gb RJ45 is more like $70 new. Maybe less if you dig around or buy used on eBay. Still, not cheap. The point here is those super cheap SFP+ switches you see on eBay are not super cheap once you pack them full of 10Gb RJ45 transceivers. Also, how many of those 22 ports need to be 10Gb? Does your current switch have a 10Gb uplink? I bet you have a lot of stuff that can stay on 1Gb and you could get a smaller 10Gb 10GBase-T switch for the stuff that you want fast and leave much of the rest at 1Gb on your current switch.

In digging around, a M4300-24x is pretty reasonably on eBay and fits the stated requirement.
Thank you to everyone. I really appreciate the insights!

The M4300-24x looks good - newbie question - I’ve come across switches (like this one) that only lists 100/1G/10G for speeds - does this mean no 2.5G or 5G?

Good points that I could use a smaller switch for the faster NICs - ideally I’d like one higher density switch that will last me versus having 2-3 switches as my 10G needs mature. A brand new prosumer 10G 8 port is $400 whereas 10G 24 port used enterprise is around $800-$1K.

Thank you to everyone. I really appreciate the insights!

The M4300-24x looks good - newbie question - I’ve come across switches (like this one) that only lists 100/1G/10G for speeds - does this mean no 2.5G or 5G?

Good points that I could use a smaller switch for the faster NICs - ideally I’d like one higher density switch that will last me versus having 2-3 switches as my 10G needs mature. A brand new prosumer 10G 8 port is $400 whereas 10G 24 port used enterprise is around $800-$1K.
If not listed, then not supported in every case I have come across. Based on the data sheet for the 4300 series, a few of the models do support, but not the 24X. My question would be why mess with 2.5 or 5 on your main switch? If you are going to invest in 10G, then go all in. That is what I did with 10G fiber. Grabbed a few NICs for my PCs I cared about and let everything else run 1G (or 2.5G via switch).
Also, only you know the topology of your network, but unless everything is right near each other, you are usually going to want to run a single line to an area and have a switch there to connect all of the devices in that area. This is where you can run a 10G line, and then switch down to 2.5G ethernet for the devices. There are a few cheap switches with SFP+ and then 4 X 2.5G ports you can use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back