WTB: (2) Best GPU's for Daughter's First PCs for ~$200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nessus85

2[H]4U
Hey all, been awhile since I've posted one of these but I'm looking for (2) graphics cards. My girls are always on mine or my wife's computer, and we want them back. I'm looking for the best gpus I can get for roughly ~$200 a piece. Shoot me a pm with an offer. Thanks!

20200308_192438~2.jpg
Heatware = puppeteernessus

Last edited:
I have an eVGA GTX 550Ti you can have for free if you reimburse me the shipping cost. It requires a 6-pin power connector.
It's been in my box of parts for a long time so I have no idea if it works. Someone gave it to me for a project and I did verify it worked when I received it.

FYI 4GB cards are way cheaper than 8GB cards because they can't be used for eth mining anymore.
Interesting, didn't know that but I'm glad it's a thing. My 7yo daughter plays Minecraft and Roblox on integrated graphics no problem (14" Intel 8130u laptop). Had to get my older son a 1600AF/B450/RX580 since he upgraded to Overwatch/Fortnite etc.

I'm pretty sure both of those games don't need anywhere near 8gb of VRAM to run (even 2gb should be plenty depending on the card.) I'm guessing by Jurassic park builder you mean Jurassic world evolution?

I picked up an RX 580 4gb off of here for $55 (former mining card that is working great).. I have a 12yr old daughter that I started her out with an AMD Ryzen 2200g , 2 x 16GB RAM on an ITX B350.. I was surprised how well it did with Fortnite and Minecraft was a given..

...it's a slippery slope though man .. now she has my old 3700x, my old x570 mobo .. still 2 x 16gb but faster RAM .. and that RX 580 4gb :(:p

FYI 4GB cards are way cheaper than 8GB cards because they can't be used for eth mining anymore.
Yes I know, but their dad doesn't want to upgrade the cards again in a few years so looking for something that will last as their gaming get's more intense.
Responded, thank you
I have an eVGA GTX 550Ti you can have for free if you reimburse me the shipping cost. It requires a 6-pin power connector.
It's been in my box of parts for a long time so I have no idea if it works. Someone gave it to me for a project and I did verify it worked when I received it.
I appreciate it but that wouldn't be much of an upgrade from the card in my wife's pc I force them to use when I'm on mine.
Interesting, didn't know that but I'm glad it's a thing. My 7yo daughter plays Minecraft and Roblox on integrated graphics no problem (14" Intel 8130u laptop). Had to get my older son a 1600AF/B450/RX580 since he upgraded to Overwatch/Fortnite etc.
Yeah I'm putting rigs together that will hopefully last them through the overwatch/fortnite style phase.
I'm pretty sure both of those games don't need anywhere near 8gb of VRAM to run (even 2gb should be plenty depending on the card.) I'm guessing by Jurassic park builder you mean Jurassic world evolution?
You're correct, see first response :)
I picked up an RX 580 4gb off of here for $55 (former mining card that is working great).. I have a 12yr old daughter that I started her out with an AMD Ryzen 2200g , 2 x 16GB RAM on an ITX B350.. I was surprised how well it did with Fortnite and Minecraft was a given..

...it's a slippery slope though man .. now she has my old 3700x, my old x570 mobo .. still 2 x 16gb but faster RAM .. and that RX 580 4gb :(:p
Slippery slope it is, when I can talk them into letting me use my PC they use 8" Fire tablets, so this is already a big leap for their own use.

Good luck finding a card that will last on the cheap during a mining rush. It's not like upgrading a video card is hard. Get the cheapest thing you can that works and upgrade during more sane times. There will be a glut of good cheap cards when the rush is over.

4GB of VRAM will be fine for 1080p for another 4-5 years. I saw that 1650 Super at BB but couldn't justify the price difference over a 570/580 on these forums. Unless you're severely constrained by your power supply that is.

4GB of VRAM will be fine for 1080p for another 4-5 years. I saw that 1650 Super at BB but couldn't justify the price difference over a 570/580 on these forums. Unless you're severely constrained by your power supply that is.
Yeah, got a bunch of 370W Antec and PCP&C power supplies here, so it is an ideal solution.

Good luck. I was able to get one kid a 1650 Super at retail MSRP before they went out of stock. Now BB has them back in stock but $50 over MSRP...... Told child two they might have to rock the 650Ti 2GB a while longer.....
They've been tariff adjusted. MSRP was assuming no tariffs.

Every Wednesday evga b stock. I got a 1650 super sc ultra for $150 shipped
make sure you log on right at 3am EST to check since its been getting picked thru SUPER fast lately. seriously. dont be late. also check sig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back