WSUS PSA KB3148812 and KB3159706

bman212121

[H]ard|Gawd
I figured this is probably the most likely place people will see it. Just giving everyone a heads up that you'll probably break your WSUS this month if you aren't paying close attention to every package.

There are two KBs out there, one release off cycle on April 19th, and one released in the May update on the 10th.

AFAIK both only affect Server 2012 installs of WSUS. The first one might have been pulled, as I haven't seen it.

KB3148812

This one seems to just botch everything so I think you'll not want to apply it if you see it.

Heads up: KB3148812 for WSUS servers - WSUS - Spiceworks

I think that the second one supersedes the first, which is why it's not showing up.

The second is definitely still there. It's KB3159706

Heads up: KB3148812 for WSUS servers - WSUS - Spiceworks - Page 5

It's okay to install this update, but there is some post configuration that HAS to be done in order for WSUS to start working again. Follow the steps in the KB and you should be okay.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3159706

That said, it's kind of an interesting update. It adds support for "This article describes an update to a feature that enables Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) to natively decrypt Electronic Software Distribution (ESD) in Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2."

Which sounds like Microsoft is going to send down the anniversary update to Windows 10 encrypted to WSUS and you'll be required to have this installed for Windows 10 upgrades and feature updates to work.

Note You must install this update on any WSUS server that is intended to sync and distribute Windows 10 upgrades (and feature updates) that are released after May 1, 2016.

This also makes me wonder that given it's for Server 2012, I'm not sure yet if there is a 2008 equivalent patch or not. You might be required to have server 2012 WSUS in order to upgrade Windows 10 clients.

Back