wrt54g/s and wireless disconnecting

Stang Man

2[H]4U
anyone have this problem? the wireless just disconnects every so often

it's a constant problem for me and my roommate.

i got a wrt54gs v1.1, using a intel 2200bg wireless card
he's got an ibm a/b/g atheros

We were having this, turned out to be the "wireless zero config" service in windows. On a recent MSoft update something changed in how it worked, and it would "do us a favor" out trying to find a BETTER connection....hang....no find one.... reconnect. In the meantime you see it aws dropouts and disconnects.

I turned OFF the WZC service and forced windows to use my adapter utility for configuration rather than letting Windows do it. So with DLink/Belkin/etc adapters and the WRT54GS all is now well, been flawless since.

xX_Jack_Carver_Xx said:
We were having this, turned out to be the "wireless zero config" service in windows. On a recent MSoft update something changed in how it worked, and it would "do us a favor" out trying to find a BETTER connection....hang....no find one.... reconnect. In the meantime you see it aws dropouts and disconnects.

I turned OFF the WZC service and forced windows to use my adapter utility for configuration rather than letting Windows do it. So with DLink/Belkin/etc adapters and the WRT54GS all is now well, been flawless since.

I don't have wireless zero configuration on my laptop (slackware 10.2) and my roommate uses XP's utility and we have no wireless networks around our apartment

i upgraded to latest firmware and it woked for me

turn off upnp if u use azereus

wahoyaho said:
i upgraded to latest firmware and it woked for me

turn off upnp if u use azereus

what would that have to do with it? and I don't use that software

The XP utility is the wireless zero config utitlity. Tell your roomate not to use it and you should not get anymore disconnects

Sloth_Boy said:
The XP utility is the wireless zero config utitlity. Tell your roomate not to use it and you should not get anymore disconnects

what's he supposed to use then?

The Speedbooster model has been proven time and time again to be unreliable and unstable. I'd return it for the regular G model which has a superb track record

Stang Man said:
i might just do that... can i do that even though i bought it back in like May?

Maybe, maybe not. Unless your real good at ass kissing I doubt you'll be able to take something back that old.

Stang Man said:
what's he supposed to use then?

You use the WZC utility. You only need that to connect. Create a batch file on your desktop to stop the service AFTER you've connected, got your IP etc...

Open notepad. Type net stop WZCSVC
Save it as "all files" in the drop down box and call it whatever you want.bat ex wireless.bat

Once you've logged into windows just double click the batch file. You can also create one to start it. net start WZCSVC
If your card has a utility for your card and works in XP, some don't because WZC exists, then you can just disable it all together if the vendor utility works well for you.

Or just use the Utility that came with the wireless card/device that the computer is using. Example, I use a DLink DWL-122G 100 ft from the WRT54GS, since dumping the wireless zero config windows utility, and using the Dlink provided one, I've had ZERO dropouts/disconnects/etc. Flawless operation and excellent gaming. You go into control panel and UNCHECK the "Let windows handle wireless" checkbox on your adapter's driver properties.

Thus this part of the post

"If your card has a utility for your card and works in XP, some don't because WZC exists, then you can just disable it all together if the vendor utility works well for you."

ktwebb said:
You use the WZC utility. You only need that to connect. Create a batch file on your desktop to stop the service AFTER you've connected, got your IP etc...

Open notepad. Type net stop WZCSVC
Save it as "all files" in the drop down box and call it whatever you want.bat ex wireless.bat

Once you've logged into windows just double click the batch file. You can also create one to start it. net start WZCSVC
If your card has a utility for your card and works in XP, some don't because WZC exists, then you can just disable it all together if the vendor utility works well for you.

thanks but no thanks. WZC works perfectly fine on every router except the linksys. this has happened on 2 different linksys routers now. Connecting to a cisco aironet ap or netgear never has this problem

the linksys routers are just pieces of shit and i'm just going to go out and get something else

Stang Man said:
thanks but no thanks. WZC works perfectly fine on every router except the linksys. this has happened on 2 different linksys routers now. Connecting to a cisco aironet ap or netgear never has this problem

the linksys routers are just pieces of shit and i'm just going to go out and get something else

:rolleyes:

Stang Man said:

Certainly your perogative but that is anecdotal opinion, not fact. Myself, and many many people here have used and installed Linksys gear with very little to complain about. But hey, whatever makes you feel comfortable. There are brands I dislike that other people might love.

Well, he rolled his eyes because Linksys doesn't work with WZC is a ridiculous statement. Worthy of an eye roll to those who know, of course linksys works with WZC.

ktwebb said:
Well, he rolled his eyes because Linksys doesn't work with WZC is a ridiculous statement. Worthy of an eye roll to those who know, of course linksys works with WZC.

how come it doesn't work now... that and my laptop is running Slackware 10.2, so there is no wireless zero configuration to begin with :rolleyes:

If you are using WPA, try using another security mechanism. Also make sure you are broadcasting your SSID. Both of those options toggled have proven to create instability sometimes (like on my network for instance :D). And yes the WZC utility works fine with Linksys.

To be quite honest, I'd mess around with your distances and potential interference objects (microwave, air conditioner, metal stuff, etc). I still believe that wireless is still in its early finicky years. I have a two bedroom apartment and a range extender, and I still get occasional hiccups even when otherwise its an excellent signal. No phones at 2.4 and no neigbors clashing. Its just finicky stuff.

Stang Man said:
how come it doesn't work now... that and my laptop is running Slackware 10.2, so there is no wireless zero configuration to begin with :rolleyes:

How come my dozens and dozens of setups work fine? How come I'm posting fine right now from my Stinkpad connected to my WAP using the zero config, WPA and SSID enabledf? Flawlessly day after day?

Do you have XP sp2 installed? Did you mistakingly install the manufacturers config utility?

IMO since XP sp2 came out, wireless became so easy and reliable. Add to that, many laptops going with the Centrino chipset. Since G came out, with easy and secure WPA, things couldn't get much easier to setup.

And now with Pre-N/MIMO..which is pretty much all I install these days...pffft....the past issues of range, or if it will reach that room at the end of the house/office, are gone...simply gone.

Back