WRT54G and limiting bandwidth

Erasmus354

[H]F Junkie
Is there a way for me to limit the bandwidth certain computers get from my WRT54G? I was looking in the settings today and saw something called QoS that looked like it might be the ticket. However when I started to fiddle with some of the connections in there (bad idea I know) I lost my connection. Upon performing a power cycle I kept getting bumped to my internet services installation page, and had to spend an hour on tech support to get it fixed (well 40 minutes on hold, 17 minutes with level 1 tech and hardly anytime at all with the level 2 tech....hooray for tech support that know wtf they are doing!)

Anyways does anyone know what the correct settings are for this. Basically I want to limit the amount of bandwidth my roommate can leech away so that we each get a decent connection. Earlier today I measured my downstream at 100-200kbps and upstream at 60-100kbps, that is what prompted me to try this.

Right after getting off with the tech support, and when my roomies comp was shut down I measured the downstream at 4507kbps and the upstream was at 446kbps.

EDIT : Here are some links to screenshots of the QoS menu I am talking about if it helps any...

QoS Page
QoS Help Page

I'd imagine you just find your roommate's port on the switch and set him to "bulk traffic". You could also try to see if they have other protocols under the "Services" dropdown box like BitTorrent or other P2P networks and try to downgrade their priority.

Yea they do have other services under there such as BitTorrent. The problem I have is that my roomie connects through wireless and not a port. So I tried doing the MAC address thing, and when I was doing that is when I screwed something up with the internet connection and the modem and had to go through tech support, so I am warry of changing something now without knowing exactly what it is going to do.

i don't know off hand, but I would be absolutely amazed if you can do something like this with 50 dollar linksys router...What you are trying to do is commonly done with 1 to 3,000 dollar cisco routers and switches.

"50 dollar linksys router..."

they can, and infact i consider them the best soho router series around because of all the capability that can be added through alternative firmware and the main firmware that has been benefited by linksys's open source moves.

"Yea they do have other services under there such as BitTorrent. The problem I have is that my roomie connects through wireless and not a port."

You misunderstood the usage of 'port' , look to set bittorrent and p2p to low status, and higher priority for say 80 for www, messaging/voip traffic, etc...

Will any p2p work the same? There are a couple on the list like Gnutella, but not the one that he recently downloaded..... *sigh* I should have never told him what he needed to open .sit files for his Mac, then he would still be limited to not downloading anything :(

Also I am very impressed with this router. I am using alchemy firmware on it because there is options in the alchemy firmware that let me use the router as sortof a wireless ethernet card instead of a router. So instead of running a 50 foot ethernet cable through my home during the summer, or purchasing a 70$ wireless card for my new computer.... I simply bought the router that I was going to need once I got to college anyways!

find out what p2p protocol he is using, though different p2p apps can use different ports than standard, find out the protocol and app and look up the port it uses.

IE google; "appy" "protcal" port

for instance bittorent uses 6881-6999 for traffic

I think this and or setting the traffic you need the most to high priority will be the best way for you to both use your connection well without getting in each others way.

Back