WoW is the only game that hard locks my PC

Killdozer

[H]ard|Gawd
BF2, Dawn of War, CS:S, Warcraft 3, and UT2k4 are all OK.
WoW is the only game that causes my computer to crash and I don't know why. When it locks, the last bit of sound keeps repeating through my speakers and usually with a bit of distortion. I don't believe it's an audio/video driver because this problem has been happening for almost a year and I've gone through a lot of updates since then(and I upgraded my videocard).
I don't think it's a memory thing because BF2 uses more mem and it doesn't have the problem.
The CPU temp is OK

Any ideas? It's pretty annoying.

[email protected]
2GbDDR
X1900XTX512
Asus Mobo
SB: Live Audigy 2 ZX

I recall two different instances where WoW was crashing on me: one was borked memory, the other was a processor that was in the borking process (still worked, sorta).

Although I don't believe it was isolated to just WoW, so I guess I'm not being very helpful.

Have you tried a fresh install? Defragging your HD?

It could still be audio, but there's an easy way to check:

Go to: Start->Run

type "dxdiag" and hit OK

Answer yes or no to the question it asks (if it asks). Doesn't affect what you're about to do.

Click on the "Sound" tab

Move the "Hardware Sound Acceleration Level" back to "Basic acceleration, which is one notch from the left.

Click "Exit"
--

Retry the game, see what happens. If it continues to hard-lock, then you have another problem. If that fixes it, then you have an issue with your sound card. I'd say to call Creative, but I really wouldn't wish that punishment on anyone. Check for audio driver updates. Check for dx updates. (Download dxwebsetup.exe from microsoft, it'll automatically update directx if there's anything to update.)

I have the EXACT same problem, it just started happening recently. I have played HL2, Flatout 2, FEAR, etc for hours recently and they haven't locked it. 30 minutes in WoW and there is a 75% chance it will lock my computer. A few times I have made it for 1 hour+ but for the last few weeks I have almost never made it to the point where I quit the game by choice.

Test your memory with memtest. I had this same problem and it turns out I had 2 bad modules. Corsair RMAed them after I posted the results. All my other games were fine (UT2004, HL2, Doom3, GTR)

Yaeh, I ran memtest a while ago and that checked out OK, but I'll try it again.
I'll also try moving my sound hardware acceleration level.

Do you have any addons installed? Some can run fine on one machine and yet on another system possibly cause problems

After adjusting the audio acceleration it seems fine, played for about 6 hours yesterday with no freezing.

Back