Would Like to Build a 4P System

osrk

[H]ard|Gawd
Any ideas? Going with AMD because of the cost. Would like to OC a little bit (at least stay at turbo clocks). Power is the biggest limiting factor.

You came to the right place. Once the 4p mafia gets out of bed this morning they'll swoop down on this thread to get you going.

In the mean time go to the DC Guides section above and start reading up.

Two questions first.... or maybe one depending on how you look at it. What is your financial and power budgets? Once those are narrowed down, a nice system can be spec'd out.

I will be good to get another 4P online for the [H]orde. Welcome aboard :)

Two questions first.... or maybe one depending on how you look at it. What is your financial and power budgets? Once those are narrowed down, a nice system can be spec'd out.

I will be good to get another 4P online for the [H]orde. Welcome aboard :)

budget wise meh. Price something and if it makes me cringe probably not. Power wise 400-500 watts or less.

at 400-500w or less you are limiting yourself on the g34 platform.

You would prob be looking at a set of 6144HE/6166HE chips with no OC. These also do not have any power states like IL or PD-based chips would have(turbo). Currently, the only way to OC IL or PD based chips are if they are ES chips.

You mentioned overclocking, so you should look at the SuperMicro boards as, unless they are ES chips, tyan isn't going to help you.

My MC ES box pulls 1000-1100w from the wall, 6172/6174 oc'd about 700-ish iirc.3

6166HE with OC is going to be about 680-ish iirc.

hmm maybe 2p then and just max out the number of cores (e.g. 16 cores). Should i go with the new abu Dhabi arch or magny cours?

Not sure if I should suggest this or not.. But thanks to other [H] members here.. about 5 of us from another team are having a blast building cheap, low production, low watt 4P's...

Using this link... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=H8QME-2+&_sacat=0&_from=R40 (All will need a BIOS update in order to run the 6core CPU's)

For parts... We have purchased the H8QME 2+ and the non + version (H8QME 2) and most of us are running the low watt 8425 HE's and 8431's. The 8439's are the ones everyone wants, but they do get warm and require aftermarket heatsinks (That normally need to be modified). We are seeing about 115K ppd form each unit depending on WU's and the wattage is 300-400w at the plug...

Breakdown... MOBO = $115 / (4) 8425's = $200 / 650w PSU = $115 / HDD = free, have a few old ones laying around. But let's say $25. / Monitor = $100 / Keyboard/mouse = $50 Grand total is $605 Those prices include shipping...

I personally did just that above. And bought two... The rest of my parts will be here next week. I saved so much $ buying (8) of the 8425's instead of the 8439's... That I took the extra $ and bought these....

One of these... http://www.provantage.com/tripp-lite-srw9u~7TRP91PQ.htm

Two of these... http://www.provantage.com/startech-cabshelfv~7STR92L3.htm

Anyways, hope that info is up help. It is not meant to bend noses...

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Maybe a 4p 6128 rig with minimal OC would fit into the power budget.

Maybe a 4p 6128 rig with minimal OC would fit into the power budget.

What about faster 8 core chips like the 6136's? The extra multiplier might be useful if the OP is under power constraints.

hmm maybe 2p then and just max out the number of cores (e.g. 16 cores). Should i go with the new abu Dhabi arch or magny cours?

Not trying to discourage you...

But you could do 8 core cpus as someone else suggested. If you want to OC, MC.

Not sure if I should suggest this or not.. But thanks to other [H] members here.. about 5 of us from another team are having a blast building cheap, low production, low watt 4P's...

Using this link... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=H8QME-2+&_sacat=0&_from=R40 (All will need a BIOS update in order to run the 6core CPU's)

For parts... We have purchased the H8QME 2+ and the non + version (H8QME 2) and most of us are running the low watt 8425 HE's and 8431's. The 8439's are the ones everyone wants, but they do get warm and require aftermarket heatsinks (That normally need to be modified). We are seeing about 115K ppd form each unit depending on WU's and the wattage is 300-400w at the plug...

Breakdown... MOBO = $115 / (4) 8425's = $200 / 650w PSU = $115 / HDD = free, have a few old ones laying around. But let's say $25. / Monitor = $100 / Keyboard/mouse = $50 Grand total is $605 Those prices include shipping...

I personally did just that above. And bought two... The rest of my parts will be here next week. I saved so much $ buying (8) of the 8425's instead of the 8439's... That I took the extra $ and bought these....

What is a KB/Mouse/Monitor for?:p

Not trying to discourage you...

What is a KB/Mouse/Monitor for?:p

Good question. I am still a noob and figure all systems need some kind of visual. Well, and I am doing this...

I have a plan in mind for this setup in my office at my business. It is not all ironed out yet... But I am going to take our teams Folding/Crunching Swag I have, take a top of one of my Filing cabinets, and create a Folding/Crunching awareness station. With these servers front and center. This way all my clients learn about it and hopefully get involved...

I figure a Monitor/KB/Mouse will be needed for them to see and better understand, or at least relate to what we are doing. :D

You could always get a g34 system 2p and then underclock and undervolt it to use less power, that would allow you to boost performace in the future if you can use more power.

Good question. I am still a noob and figure all systems need some kind of visual. Well, and I am doing this...

I have a plan in mind for this setup in my office at my business. It is not all ironed out yet... But I am going to take our teams Folding/Crunching Swag I have, take a top of one of my Filing cabinets, and create a Folding/Crunching awareness station. With these servers front and center. This way all my clients learn about it and hopefully get involved...

I figure a Monitor/KB/Mouse will be needed for them to see and better understand, or at least relate to what we are doing. :D

I've thought about putting a 4p in my office, would make excellent discussion piece and reduce my home power bill.

This is what I am running at the moment. Except I'm using 8431's. In total my build cost about 550$. I got lucky on some prices and threw in some really low ball offers that were accepted. I'm currently making about 200k PPD on 8103 WU's. 19:06 TPF.

However knowing what I know now I'd had gone with a G34 4P board and just started with 2 processors and built from there.

Also QInsp on these boards will get you some 8425's for cheap I believe. Just whisper him.

For what it's worth, here's a reference point for power consumption. An overclocked 4P system with a Supermicro board and Magny Cours 6136 CPUs will draw about 550-625W at the wall. That figure will be higher, depending on the cooling configuration and PSU efficiency. I have not checked my 6136 system at default clock (2.7GHz). Perhaps subtract 75-100W for stock reference clock?

I have several 120mm case fans running in my enclosed 6136 system, in addition to the 4 X 120 fans that cool the CPU heatsinks. The overclocked system typically draws between 635 and 675W, depending on the work unit.

See '3' in my signature for the referenced system.

I think i should get a 4p board but maybe hold off on populating all of them at once. What architecture should i go for MC, IL or AD?

There are too many variables to answer your question.

What is your performance goal for the eventual complete 4P?
What's your budget for all four CPUs?

What's holding you back from building out a 4P, versus a 2P, now? Power consumption? Cost of parts?

I started on a 4p and started with 2 CPU. Depends on whic ad chips....try t hold out for 16 core ad or il otherwise no over clocking for you.

If I had to start over, I'd start with a 4 CPU SuperMicro H8xxx G34 motherboard, and build from there.

If you have patience, you can build a complete (not benchtest) 8389 BigAdv machine for $450.

The one I'm currently assembling is:
$125 2U case and PSU
$80 for 4 CPU's
$20 for 8 sticks of RAM
$20 for 4 heatsinks
$60 SSD drive
$20 keyboard and mouse.
$18 fan shroud.
$99 motherboard

http://youtu.be/Wb3GYIGKeUs

The cheapest was $175 (1U complete 4p 8300 server) + $80 (four CPU's), complete.

[damn session expired and lost my whole post]

osrk,

Given power budget --

I'd recommend either 2P intel 2011 with high end ES chips [though mind board compatibility with B0
chips -- few guys have built B0-based systems] or...

4P G34 with either 6164 (OCd)/6166 (OCd)/6172 (probably stock)/6174 (possibly undervolted) chips or
AD ES (parts ending in TGG54) chips (even the low-end ones), over/under clocked to fit in power
budget; cheap ones pop up on eBay every now and then; when in doubt check with us.

I would generally recommend against MC 8-core chips unless your acquisition budget is _really_
constrained.

ok any recommendations on 2p or 4p boards? I think i might go abu Dhabi in terms of core type.

come on what 4p board should i buy? I have some moneyz that isn't going to spend itself.

That's the one I ordered, and I went with 6176 chips because they were cheap at the time. First 2 were $100 each. Second two were $200 each. So $600 for CPU's, $200 for RAM, $40 for coolers, and $150 for a case+dual PSU's. So about $1700? for the complete system.

Sounds like a lot, but that's 1/2 what it cost to set up a SR-2 rig a few years ago. And a lot more powerful. 48 cores at 2.3ghz plus what it can be overclocked at.

That's the one I ordered, and I went with 6176 chips because they were cheap at the time. First 2 were $100 each. Second two were $200 each. So $600 for CPU's, $200 for RAM, $40 for coolers, and $150 for a case+dual PSU's. So about $1700? for the complete system.

Sounds like a lot, but that's 1/2 what it cost to set up a SR-2 rig a few years ago. And a lot more powerful. 48 cores at 2.3ghz plus what it can be overclocked at.

I'v hear the performance of the 61xx series is affected by the ram quite a bit, you got good ram right?

On stock bios the 61xx supports 1333mhz ram, you want as low cas as possible so CL6, CL7 or CL8.
On the custom OC bios you may be able to use faster ram but I don't know.

Rats. The mobo is backordered for the second time. First was April 5, now April 23. When I ordered, it said IN STOCK.

I got that Gskill DDR2-1600. It's cheap enough to keep as supplies. ie - if it doesn't work, I can use it elsewhere.

I'v hear the performance of the 61xx series is affected by the ram quite a bit, you got good ram right?
Difference? Yes. Big difference? No. Lower rated CAS will perform better.

Last edited:
Back