Would getting a new monitor matter for me? (1080p gamer)

LordJezo

Limp Gawd
PC: 4690k, 1060 6GB, 8GB system ram.

Here is the current monitor I am using:
https://www.cnet.com/g00/products/benq-fp241vw-lcd-monitor-24-series/specs/

I have had it for over a decade now, it's the only thing on my PC that hasn't been at some point upgraded. From the specs listed on that page would getting a new monitor make things look smoother or better? My most recent upgrade is the 1060. I can't answer the question about 1440p gaming as I have never had a monitor or video card that could support that.

Given my current setup, would getting a new monitor with recent technology do anything or is a monitor still a monitor 10 years later?

Given my current setup, would getting a new monitor with recent technology do anything or is a monitor still a monitor 10 years later?
Unless you want bigger or higher PPI it's a marginal upgrade at best. Over a decade of use the brightness might have suffered on yours and it might be yellowish by now (I don't think it was led lit, and CCFL goes yellowish with age). There are not many 16:10 monitors now however... A 1060 should run most games in 1440p with decent framerates (30-60 depending on how recent shouldn't be a problem) so upgrading to 27" might be an option which would give you bigger and better PPI as well.

I would consider a high-refresh ultra-wide. It will be a fresh experience and breath new life into the rig.

Probably best to go with 2560x1080 res if you're on a 1060, otherwise the performance will not be there for 1440p.

Wait. 1080p 144hz IPS monitors are coming along.
That is if You want to stick to 1080p. If not, You can get even 4k60hz and older games will run and look great. Newer games can still be ran on 1080p or with lowered settings at 30fps because 1060 is not fast enough.
That way or another - my experience is: Any modern TN looks like crap with banding, bleeding edges and still bad viewing angles. VA monitors are ok nowadays but can suffer from many bad pixels, IPS is still the way to go. glow and bleeding is a lottery

1080p 144hz IPS "coming along"? Meaning they dont exist yet?

As for Ultrawide, as I only have a 1060 and wont be getting something new for many years to come as I just upgraded it a few weeks ago, would I even be able to run anything on that?

Yeah, a new monitor will definitely be worth it. I'm using a 34" ultrawide, and I'm really enjoying it.

The 29" monitor euskalzabe recommended looks good for the price.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADM275N9561

Also, this one is only a bit more at $300, but 34" IPS 75Hz.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAC4Z5KX0157

G-Sync is nice, as is high refresh, but the price jumps up pretty high for those features. Not sure what your budget is.

I think a 2560x1080 ultrawide would be a nice upgrade. It's only 20% more pixels than your current monitor, so games should still run. Not at ultra settings, but if you tweak the options you should be able to get in the 75 fps range with a GTX 1060.

Give it a look, I think you'll be happy.

21:9 is too small on 29, better on 34'' or 16:9 on 32 :)

Size is definitely a subjective preference. I went with 29" because it gives nearly the same width as a 32" panel with ultrawide resolution within it. 34" ultrawides are only worth it if you spend more than twice the money for 1440p. Otherwise, you're just getting the same 1080p image over-sized and not as sharp. I used a 40" 4K screen for a couple years, and while it was great, I got tired of seeing the same FOV just bigger. 29" ultrawide maintains the sharpness AND gives you more FOV than 16:9. If one just wants a bigger image, sure, a bigger 16:9 will do, but if you want more game world to be visible, 29" 1080p ultrawide panels cannot be beat for quality/price.

I've been using the 29WK600 by LG for a month and I don't think I can ever go back to 16:9. Even at 29", it feels more immersive than my 40" 16:9 4K display, precisely because I can see more gameworld. Seems like FOV and aspect ratio is more important to me than size.

Back