Would AS5 fix this issue?

Bop

2[H]4U
When I first got my 9800 Pro I tried to OC it, it did ok with getting no white dots in PS 2.0 tests at 414mhz core.(416mhz+ caused white dots)

I had some Antec silver paste lying around which I am using to cool my CPU and it works quite well(35-45C). Well I took off the HSF and applied about a grain of rice size and spread it across the core until I could see no more of the core.

I put it to the test, I started at 412mhz and I already started seeing white dots, forcing me to scale down to 405mhz to not see artifacts. I took the card back out, wiped the core and HSF clean with some acetone and reapplied another coating. I am still getting the same results.

Now let me say that it is not a shim issue as the HSF with the 9800 Pro has a protruding square to make contact with the HSF. Now I'm guessing that if the card OCed higher with the stock paste, would the Arctic Silver 5 I just ordered allow my card to get to better core speeds?

Also a side question. I've left my CPU under the HSF since October/November, would the thermal paste be drying up and should I apply some AS5 to the core?

I dunno about AS5, but I just put some ceramique on my 9600pro and the OC is 10mhz lower. I guess I should give it some more time to start fully dissapaiting heat but my initial results were a bit depressing, I'm going to give it a try with some AS5 though.

Not all chips OC as well as others, that's a gamble you take.
Maybe try using something different then the stock cooler, that thing is a piece of crap.

Just did the same with my 5900U.
Added some as5 to the gpu but the results are about the same as stock paste solution:mad: Seems that these puppies get so hot that the paste isn't really doing much. I get 34 degrees ambient and 44 dergrees GPU core temp. This 10 degree spread is the same under idle or load. How about you?
My next approach is to mode a cpu cooler and see if that helps! Who needs the other 4 pci slots anywho:D

O, on the mem chips theres this white stuff that has threads in it.
Some sort of silicone blanket I guess, should I put AS5 on the mem chips? (alittle concerned that I may short something):eek:

Back