Would a OC'ed 2500K bottleneck a RTX 2070 ?

Subzerok11

Gawd
I really need a upgrade and I'm hoping my 2500K would not bottleneck a 2070 ? I'm thinking no, cause I remember many people saying that it wouldn't bottleneck a GTX 1080.

I really need a upgrade and I'm hoping my 2500K would not bottleneck a 2070 ? I'm thinking no, cause I remember many people saying that it wouldn't bottleneck a GTX 1080.

@4.7ghz? You should be oK, I think there are a few titles that are not multi-threaded that might be bottlenecked with that, but I assume your 2500k @ 4.7 is about the same as a 6700k @4.2-4.3 Ghz, so should be a decent cpu for that setup.

Monitor in sig?... you will be badly bottlenecked. Anything stronger than gtx 980 will suffer at that resolution. As a 1920x1080@120/144hz. Ay one point even my old [email protected] was a considerable overclock to my 980Ti.. things were worse with the 1080 to the point it made me for the first time make the jump to 1440p high refresh rate panels...

with a i5 2500k even at that speed I'd say most modern tittles you will suffer to keep a constant and stable 60fps gaming experience. If you have now a 1080 you will be better upgrading your monitor than GPU

Monitor in sig?... you will be badly bottlenecked. Anything stronger than gtx 980 will suffer at that resolution. As a 1920x1080@120/144hz. Ay one point even my old [email protected] was a considerable overclock to my 980Ti.. things were worse with the 1080 to the point it made me for the first time make the jump to 1440p high refresh rate panels...

with a i5 2500k even at that speed I'd say most modern tittles you will suffer to keep a constant and stable 60fps gaming experience. If you have now a 1080 you will be better upgrading your monitor than GPU

I did upgrade my monitor, I just edited my sig to reflect my current monitor I bought a couple weeks ago. Could we please go back to my original question now please.

It won't bottleneck the performance but you would notice a big gain if you upgraded your CPU.
Some game might be picky when it comes to a 2011 CPU.

Do you guys think it would be better to upgrade my motherboard/cpu/ram instead of getting a new GPU ? Do you think just by getting a new 9600k intel setup and keeping my current GTX 1060 my fps would increase or no increase but have a more stable fps ?

That's tough man. I think you would be best with a used 1080 Ti, then maybe upgrade the CPU/Ram/Mobo in the near future.

That's tough man. I think you would be best with a used 1080 Ti, then maybe upgrade the CPU/Ram/Mobo in the near future.

agree with this... a stronger GPU will always offer more performance jump than replacing the current system (mobo, ram, cpu). and upgrading to just a GTX 1060 to 1080ti will be a massive boost in performance, so that's the advice I would also give.. for any reason the way the OP was described I though we were speaking about a GTX 1080 at 1080P and not a GTX 1060 at 1440P.. which are in the completely different scenario, we passed from excesive GPU power at 1080P to lack of GPU power to 1440P.. used 1080Ti or even new are better buy than any of the current RTX lineup.

The 2070 will give you the biggest gain in overall FPS vs going a new build. However you will definitely see frame dips in certain titles.

If you're set on the 2070, go for it, but note you're somewhat limiting it. That said you can upgrade the platform later and still enjoy the large fps gain from the 2070 now, with the creature comforts of the new platform later.

The 2070 will give you the biggest gain in overall FPS vs going a new build. However you will definitely see frame dips in certain titles.

If you're set on the 2070, go for it, but note you're somewhat limiting it. That said you can upgrade the platform later and still enjoy the large fps gain from the 2070 now, with the creature comforts of the new platform later.

Well I'm not really set on anything, I don't mind going either way, gpu upgrade now or new mobo and cpu/ram upgrade. By the way I do have a 49" 4K TV hooked up to my PC as well many games I'm playing on it don't reach that 60fps like I more easily do on my 1440p monitor. Doom on my 4K TV I get anywhere from 40-55fps. Crysis 3 is around 35fps. Fallout 3 is around 55fps and Dirt 4 is around 45fps. Would the gpu upgrade help more then a mobo/cpu/ram upgrade for 4k ?

Well I'm not really set on anything, I don't mind going either way, gpu upgrade now or new mobo and cpu/ram upgrade. By the way I do have a 49" 4K TV hooked up to my PC as well many games I'm playing on it don't reach that 60fps like I more easily do on my 1440p monitor. Doom on my 4K TV I get anywhere from 40-55fps. Crysis 3 is around 35fps. Fallout 3 is around 55fps and Dirt 4 is around 45fps. Would the gpu upgrade help more then a mobo/cpu/ram upgrade for 4k ?

I'd suspect yes. Either way you'll see bigger gains in FPS with a newer GPU, but an overall new platform will see you gain better overall frames/frame times, and better minimums (so less stuttering, etc).

At 4k you're more GPU bound, so it should be less noticeable regarding the bottleneck.

As someone who was on a 4690k with a 1070 at 1440p60hz, the 4690k handled 95% of titles perfectly fine, and was almost never a bottleneck, but my 1070 is 2 steps down from a 2070 so.. I've also just nabbed a 2600 ryzen 5, that I've yet to do the swap for. I don't expect FPS gains, but it's more for overall usability as a platform. (NVME m.2 support is nice too :p).

I love playing on my 27" @1440p but since I got the big 4K TV in the same room as my PC I've been liking playing on it with my controller. Honestly and I should have said this at the beginning if I were still exclusively playing on my 1440p my system is is still good enough. But I need more fps when I play on my 4k, lots of games I have that are just a few years old run close to 60fps. I need a boost of some sort so I can use the v-sync, I hate screen tearing.

Will it bottleneck? 100% absolutely it will be a bottleneck for a 2070. In most games it wont matter if 60 fps is the goal but there are some where you will stand no chance of maintaining 60 fps and in some cases not even averaging 60. AC Odyssey, AC Origins, Watch Dogs 2, and Mafia 3 are some examples. Hell even the old Crysis 3 will eat 4 cores for lunch abd drop below 60 fps in outside areas and is the reason I upgraded from my oced 2500k even way back then.

Wait for the TV's with freesync to get better than get an amd card, or wait for the nvidia bfgd tv's to come to market.

Will it bottleneck? 100% absolutely it will be a bottleneck for a 2070. In most games it wont matter if 60 fps is the goal but there are some where you will stand no chance of maintaining 60 fps and in some cases not even averaging 60. AC Odyssey, AC Origins, Watch Dogs 2, and Mafia 3 are some examples. Hell even the old Crysis 3 will eat 4 cores for lunch abd drop below 60 fps in outside areas and is the reason I upgraded from my oced 2500k even way back then.

So by just keeping my 1060 but upgrading the rest of my rig that will help a lot ?

So by just keeping my 1060 but upgrading the rest of my rig that will help a lot ?
Well at 4k you will drop well below 60 fps because of the 1060 in any modern demanding games. Even a 2070 will be the limitation in nearly all demanding games at 4k. One option is to just find a used 2600k and oc that and you will be fine for 60 fps from a cpu standpoint in all but a few games. Or maybe selling your current cpu, mobo and ram and going with a 2600 or 2600x setup. BTW how much system ram do you have and what speed?

Wait for the TV's with freesync to get better than get an amd card, or wait for the nvidia bfgd tv's to come to market.
There are good FreeSync TVs today. I have the Samsung Q7F, it's been great. However, running 4K can be demanding, even with Crossfire.

The TV supports 120Hz at 1440p (or 1080p), with a much wider FreeSync range, so that is a nice option when performance isn't there for 4K60.

If you play anything released by UBISOFT, you should have upgraded when Watch Dogs 2 dropped, if you don't play UBI titles, you're fine probably.

Reactions: Curl
like this
There are good FreeSync TVs today. I have the Samsung Q7F, it's been great. However, running 4K can be demanding, even with Crossfire.

The TV supports 120Hz at 1440p (or 1080p), with a much wider FreeSync range, so that is a nice option when performance isn't there for 4K60.
I read something about the Samsung with freesync the freesync is only active within a very narrow FPS range. If they can make it work like it does on fully supported monitors then that'd be cool, whichever one happens first will replace my js8500 be it full fat freesync or a gsync tv. I want it to work with 4k, I thought that was the whole point of variable refresh rate lol.

@4.7ghz? You should be oK, I think there are a few titles that are not multi-threaded that might be bottlenecked with that, but I assume your 2500k @ 4.7 is about the same as a 6700k @4.2-4.3 Ghz, so should be a decent cpu for that setup.

I'm sorry, but that's so untrue. There are a myriad of youtube videos of overclocked i5-2500K's vs modern CPU's like the i7-6700K/7700K. In short, the 6700K/7700K at stock will obliterate an overclocked 2500K in the majority of modern games. Hell, even the i5-6600K and i5-4690K at *stock* will beat the overclocked 2500K. Basically the incremental IPC improvements and 4C/4T is holding the 2500K back. IMO, anything over a GTX 1070 class will be severely bottlenecked, per article. Sure you'll get more performance, you're facing heavy diminishing returns.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2773-intel-i5-2500k-revisit-benchmark-for-2017/page-3

IMO, if you don't want to upgrade your platform, you're better off spending the money and buying a used 3770K or 2600K in addition to the new GPU. AFAIK, they shouldn't be going for much $$ nowadays. You can offset costs by selling your current 2500K.

I've seen a couple videos where they had an overclocked 2500K vs 6600/7600 at stock and they were pretty much the same in gaming benchmarks. I think at 2500K is still a capable player. I think I'll get the 2070 and see what happens and if I feel like there a problem I'll upgrade the rest of my system in 6 months or less.

I'm sorry, but that's so untrue. There are a myriad of youtube videos of overclocked i5-2500K's vs modern CPU's like the i7-6700K/7700K. In short, the 6700K/7700K at stock will obliterate an overclocked 2500K in the majority of modern games. Hell, even the i5-6600K and i5-4690K at *stock* will beat the overclocked 2500K. Basically the incremental IPC improvements and 4C/4T is holding the 2500K back. IMO, anything over a GTX 1070 class will be severely bottlenecked, per article. Sure you'll get more performance, you're facing heavy diminishing returns.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2773-intel-i5-2500k-revisit-benchmark-for-2017/page-3

IMO, if you don't want to upgrade your platform, you're better off spending the money and buying a used 3770K or 2600K in addition to the new GPU. AFAIK, they shouldn't be going for much $$ nowadays. You can offset costs by selling your current 2500K.

I think that's a bad idea either I upgrade to a modern CPU or I keep what I got a little longer. Just like buying a 1080 gtx instead of a 2070. Buying old Tech when new stuff is out at about the same price is a bad idea.

I've seen a couple videos where they had an overclocked 2500K vs 6600/7600 at stock and they were pretty much the same in gaming benchmarks. I think at 2500K is still a capable player. I think I'll get the 2070 and see what happens and if I feel like there a problem I'll upgrade the rest of my system in 6 months or less.
IMO it seems silly putting a 2070 in a system that will not even meet recommended requirements for the cpu and ram for most demanding games going forward.

Well, some of those are odd, look at the numbers . Stock 2600k beats the 4.5ghz 2500k.

Stock 3570 beats the 4.5ghz 2500k...

Maybe there is an issue with their system. I'll look it ip when I get on my phone. But I saw a couple of reviews that stated otherwise. I think one was here .

This thread is relative to my interests. I'm currently on a 1920 by 1200 monitor with an i7-2700k at 4.5 GHz with DDR3 1600. I just picked up a used 1080Ti and my plan is to go for a high refresh rate 1440p monitor in the near future, then upgrade the cpu/mobo/ram when Ryzen 2 releases. I'm wondering if I'll be bottlenecked at 1440p with the current CPU and 1080Ti. I'm sure I'll be fine once I finish the full upgrade. I wonder if I would actually be much less bottlenecked with a 4k monitor. However, I'm looking forward to trying G-sync at high frame rates.

This thread is relative to my interests. I'm currently on a 1920 by 1200 monitor with an i7-2700k at 4.5 GHz with DDR3 1600. I just picked up a used 1080Ti and my plan is to go for a high refresh rate 1440p monitor in the near future, then upgrade the cpu/mobo/ram when Ryzen 2 releases. I'm wondering if I'll be bottlenecked at 1440p with the current CPU and 1080Ti. I'm sure I'll be fine once I finish the full upgrade. I wonder if I would actually be much less bottlenecked with a 4k monitor. However, I'm looking forward to trying G-sync at high frame rates.

you will be fine in most tittles out there with that system at 1440P paired with the GTX 1080ti, however as [H]OCP found in their latest reviews even on some tittles at high refresh rates the 5ghz 7700K can do some bottleneck. however nothing to worry about... you will be fine in 99% of games.

Games are really starting to need 4c / 8t cpus. (especially Ubisoft stuff like AC: Odyssey)

I personally noticed some BIG min fps gains by upgrading from an i5-750 to my current 4c/8t Xeon.

Def check out Aliexpress/Ebay for a 2600k!

-- Anyone who has a Nehalem or Sandy Bridge system should seriously look into a used i7/Xeon (I paid under $30 on Aliexpress for mine). The price/performance is just retarded. --

I guess the real question here is what is your objective? Is your objective to just get better FPS, or is your objective to absolutely optimize the setup?

For reference you can see my setup in my sig. I am still using a 2600k on a 55" 4k TV. I have 2 Titan Xps. All my games play well on my setup. Is it the most optimized? No, but the amount of money I would spend to upgrade would not give me an appreciable change to my current scenario. I might switch up with the next iteration of AMD CPUs though.

For futher reference I upgraded from 2xTitans to 2xTitan Xps and there was a big improvement in performance.

OK, found this, @ 10-20% difference in IPC, in heavily CPU bound game scenarios

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/01/13/kaby_lake_7700k_vs_sandy_bridge_2600k_ipc_review/4

So I can't believe that a game which is not heavily cpu bound would have such a huge difference, they're showing a 4.5ghz 2500k being 50% of what a STOCK 7700k is, with HT off, meaning it's essentially a 7600k

There is no IPC gain from 6600k to the 9600k (cores + clockspeed)

Another example:

you will be fine in most tittles out there with that system at 1440P paired with the GTX 1080ti, however as [H]OCP found in their latest reviews even on some tittles at high refresh rates the 5ghz 7700K can do some bottleneck. however nothing to worry about... you will be fine in 99% of games.

Thanks, I remember the article here last year where they ran a bunch of tests with a 2600k at 4.5Ghz, but they had DDR3-2133. What you said makes me feel better.

My desktop machine has a 4790K and a 1070. My laptop has a Kaby Lake i7 and a mobile 1070. In World of Warcraft (not exactly the most demanding game) the laptop is faster in identical situations than the desktop (1080p).

OK, found this, @ 10-20% difference in IPC, in heavily CPU bound game scenarios

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/01/13/kaby_lake_7700k_vs_sandy_bridge_2600k_ipc_review/4

So I can't believe that a game which is not heavily cpu bound would have such a huge difference, they're showing a 4.5ghz 2500k being 50% of what a STOCK 7700k is, with HT off, meaning it's essentially a 7600k

There is no IPC gain from 6600k to the 9600k (cores + clockspeed)

Another example:
*Snip*

that guy is known for posting fake videos and reviews, has been called out since like 4 or 5 years ago.. and with all due respect hardocp cpu reviews are the worse in real-life performance measurement.

so instead I gona post this, from probably best CPU reviewers out there with framerate and frametime analysis which are digitalfoundry/Eurogamer, so watch that and come back..

if you wanna read instead watch video

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...it-finally-time-to-upgrade-your-core-i5-2500k

Reactions: Curl
like this
that guy is known for posting fake videos and reviews, has been called out since like 4 or 5 years ago.. and with all due respect hardocp cpu reviews are the worse in real-life performance measurement.

so instead I gona post this, from probably best CPU reviewers out there with framerate and frametime analysis which are digitalfoundry/Eurogamer, so watch that and come back..

His review shows a 10-20% difference, which is what [H] review showed as well.... (I agree it's not an in-depth dive that [H] does with the game engines, but the results are pretty damn similar).

6500k @ 4.5ghz vs 2500k @4.6ghz shows less than a 10fps difference in TW3.

I'm confused, are you debating against my point, or with it :)? I just skimmed the video, but from what I saw, it would not be worth the jump unless going for more cores(that you need for something else)

Well, some of those are odd, look at the numbers . Stock 2600k beats the 4.5ghz 2500k.

Stock 3570 beats the 4.5ghz 2500k...

Maybe there is an issue with their system. I'll look it ip when I get on my phone. But I saw a couple of reviews that stated otherwise. I think one was here .

Why's that strange? You realize that with *every* new CPU generation, new instructions and features are added. If certain games use those new instructions, it could possibly create massive performance deltas. You remember the Athlon XP? It demolished Willamette P4's and gave early Northwoods a good run for their money in that time-frame. Fast forward to the Athlon 64 generation, and Athlon XP's get demolished by those same Northwood Pentium 4's (and even Willamette's, clock for clock), mainly due to SSE3 and its prevalent use.

Just because at the time of release some one benchmarked Ivy to find it about 3-6% IPC gain over Sandy (which is average, btw), doesn't mean it will hold true through its life span, as we *clearly* see.

The huge meme that CPU doesn't matter is just stupid. The i7-2600K ended up being the 'best buy' simply because 4C/8T lasted way longer than 4C/4T. Thus it was on HardOCP's top 5 CPU's of all time, NOT the 2500K.

Why's that strange? You realize that with *every* new CPU generation, new instructions and features are added. If certain games use those new instructions, it could possibly create massive performance deltas. You remember the Athlon XP? It demolished Willamette P4's and gave early Northwoods a good run for their money in that time-frame. Fast forward to the Athlon 64 generation, and Athlon XP's get demolished by those same Northwood Pentium 4's (and even Willamette's, clock for clock), mainly due to SSE3 and its prevalent use.

Just because at the time of release some one benchmarked Ivy to find it about 3-6% IPC gain over Sandy (which is average, btw), doesn't mean it will hold true through its life span, as we *clearly* see.

The huge meme that CPU doesn't matter is just stupid. The i7-2600K ended up being the 'best buy' simply because 4C/8T lasted way longer than 4C/4T. Thus it was on HardOCP's top 5 CPU's of all time, NOT the 2500K.

Since the 2600k is the same generation of CPU as the 2500k, but with hyper threading, and slightly more cache, I doubt it would be enough to overcome the 700mhz difference, that a 2500k @4.5ghz would over ,over a stock 2600k.

Also the 3770k has a max boost clock of 3.9ghz, so lets assume it sat at 3.9ghz, and the 2500k sat at 4.5k, that's 15% clock speed difference, for the 3770k to beat it, it would mean it's over 20% faster performance in this game to achieve those numbers @ the same clock.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just not plausible, if you watch the video review that Araxie posted, the guy states that the higher OCs benefit from higher memory clocks as well, so if they are testing and forgot to set it to a higher speed, or left it @ 1333 or 1600, it is entirely possible that their numbers are lower because of it. His numbers also don't match up with what GN numbers are showing.

Last edited:
Maybe you can buy a cheap 2600K or 3770K and drop it in there. There's usually good deals on them. Sell your 2500K while you're at it.

Since the 2600k is the same generation of CPU as the 2500k, but with hyper threading, and slightly more cache, I doubt it would be enough to overcome the 700mhz difference, that a 2500k @4.5ghz would over ,over a stock 2600k.

Also the 3770k has a max boost clock of 3.9ghz, so lets assume it sat at 3.9ghz, and the 2500k sat at 4.5k, that's 15% clock speed difference, for the 3770k to beat it, it would mean it's over 20% faster performance in this game to achieve those numbers @ the same clock.

4C/8T scales a lot better in newer games. So yes, it is entirely conceivable that a stock 2600K (which boosts to 3.8 GHz) can beat an overclock 2500K. Do not underestimate the performance gains of HT in MT software. For instance, the i3-7350K (2C/4T) can match or beat the i5-2500K, when normalized to clock speed.

More benchies from GN:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2867-intel-i7-2600k-2017-benchmark-vs-7700k-1700-more/page-3

You need more threads, without question. There are many engines out there that'll 100% those 4 threads and you'll still have room for growth. Frostbyte comes to mind. Even with a 1060. My advice? Nab a 2600 or 2600X, B350/B450 board and some quick RAM. Use that until you get the ends to swap out that 1060 for something quicker (like a used 1080 Ti).

Look at the game graphs in that video. Also pay attention to what he says at around 3:30

I'm confused too, so what does this mean to me ? Let me restate what I need from my PC. I want to be able to play 90% of all games, new ones too on my 4K TV at solid 60fps so I can use v-sync cause I hate screen tearing also mostly high settings not ultra. Now don't tell me I'll need to buy 2080/TI cause it ain't happening. Right now with my current out dated setup in my sig I can play Doom 2016 at around 45fps with high settings, cryisis 3 at 40ish fps and I think I can play Dirt 4 at full 60 fps but I did get some dips in the upper 50's and I play fallout 3 at 60 solid LOL. Actually there's a lot of games I've I can play in 40-50 no problem, so don't tell me I need a monster rig to push a solid 60fps cause I don't believe it.

So should I get the 2070 or upgrade to a new 9600K rig ? I be interested to see though if I got a new rig if I could get more out of my GTX 1060.

For that case, a 2070 won't be enough, You want to run 4k@60 ? you'll need a 2080ti most likely, if you're going to drop $1300 on the GPU, might as well grab a 9600k/board and ram with it.

4C/8T scales a lot better in newer games. So yes, it is entirely conceivable that a stock 2600K (which boosts to 3.8 GHz) can beat an overclock 2500K. Do not underestimate the performance gains of HT in MT software. For instance, the i3-7350K (2C/4T) can match or beat the i5-2500K, when normalized to clock speed.

More benchies from GN:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2867-intel-i7-2600k-2017-benchmark-vs-7700k-1700-more/page-3

Well, in those benches, the 2600K does fairly well in comparison.

Back