Worth it to get new HD

I have been using a Maxtor 5T060H6 for about 3-4 years already and still works fine, but was wondering if there would be any significant difference if I got a newer HD. I don't really follow HDs and am not up to date with them so that's why I am asking.
Here are the stats for my current drive- http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=900
The main question is should I go for a new drive or not.

Only if you need more room and/or your board supports SATA.

well guess what? i've got a Deathstar running for 5 years now :eek: and still going... *touch wood!* :rolleyes:

I don't see a reason to upgrade if you don't need more room and you are sticking with IDE for now. The only tiny implication that I see to upgrade is the age of your drive. But if you back up your data on a regular basis? No worries.

Also consider that hard drives are the biggest bottleneck in a computer system. Any current generation hard drive will be *much* faster than a 4 year old drive

Correct, increases in density, probably buffer size (a drive from 2001 is most likely 2MB buffer), and firmware improvements will mean that a new 7200RPM drive will be 20-50% faster than a drive from 2001. It will also use less power, and run cooler/quieter. You can get a GOOD 160GB PATA drive for $90, and 250GB units fetch less than $125. A new drive would be a worthwhile investment.

Back