worth going from u2w to scsi 3

s8n

Limp Gawd
Well I had a Dell 500sc that had a Tekram u2w controller... along with the controller I took a ibm scsi 2, and a wd scsi 3 hd. Both are 9 gigs. I just wanted to check it out... well I'm ruined for life now :( I love scsi. I don't know if I'll be buying any new HD's soon... but I'm wondering if upgrading to a scsi 3 card will be worth it. Are there any significant gains over u2w? I'm pretty much thinking there are none, but it never hurts to ask.

well...probably not, or not much
a u2w would give you 80MB/s throughput
whereas a U160 (SCSI2) would give you 160MB/s
and U320 (SCSI3) would give you 320MB/s
however both are limited by the PCI bus (if its 32bit 33MHz) to 133MB/s

and your HDDs are also limited by internal performance factors to near the 80MBs you currently have

that would chnge if there was a RAID array (RAID0) and depends on the number of drives, the controller, any oncard cache, and RAID level, anything that exceeds the 133MB/s threshold of the 32bit 33MHz bus would require a wider PCI bus (64bit 66\100\133MHz)

and of course an ap that would actually access that much throughput, saturating a 64bit bus is alot easier said than done and normally requires a multiuser environment

whats your typical application?

I mainly asked because there's some 38 dollar scsi 3 controller at newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...talog=410&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1&section=3

my typical applications are just normal desktop usage. like i said i'm stuck with 2 9 gig scsi's... but i do have access to free scsi drives because my roomie works at in an it department at a big company and they wouldn't miss any. it seems a waste to have a bunch 9 gig drives tho. so right now i'm enjoying having one as just os and apps, and the other as a scratch disk/pagefile drive. i doubt any drive would be above 10k rpm, but it just seems a waste to have scsi 160 drives, and only have it operating at 80 :( even if there would be no significant gains :|

well it aint going to hurt anything :p
especially at that price, just didnt want to see you drop several hundered on a RAID controller or something ;)

and let me correct myself while Im at it

SCSI-1........................... 5 MB/Sec
(Fast) SCSI-2................ 10 MB/Sec <SCSI-2
(Fast) Wide SCSI-2........20 MB/Sec
Ultra SCSI......................20 MB/Sec
Ultra Wide SCSI.............40 MB/Sec < SCSI-3
Ultra2 SCSI....................40MB/Sec
Ultra2 Wide SCSI...........80MB/Sec < u2w
.............................32bit\33MHz bottleneck 133MB/Sec.......................................
Ultra 160......................160MB/Sec < U160 \ Ultra3 SCSI
.............................32bit\66MHz bottleneck 266MB/Sec.......................................
Ultra 320......................320MB/Sec <U320
.............................64bit\66MHz 532MB/Sec.......................................
.............................64bit\133MHz PCI-X 1.06GB/Sec.......................................

:rolleyes: must be goin senile

:eek: yah i'd do other upgrades before going scsi raid... it would be sweet tho :)

thanks for the help

Originally posted by Ice Czar
well it aint going to hurt anything :p
especially at that price, just didnt want to see you drop several hundered on a RAID controller or something ;)

and let me correct myself while Im at it

SCSI-1........................... 5 MB/Sec
(Fast) SCSI-2................ 10 MB/Sec <SCSI-2
(Fast) Wide SCSI-2........20 MB/Sec
Ultra SCSI......................20 MB/Sec
Ultra Wide SCSI.............40 MB/Sec < SCSI-3
Ultra2 SCSI....................40MB/Sec
Ultra2 Wide SCSI...........80MB/Sec < u2w
.............................32bit\33MHz bottleneck 133MB/Sec.......................................
Ultra 160......................160MB/Sec < U160 \ Ultra3 SCSI
.............................32bit\66MHz bottleneck 266MB/Sec.......................................
Ultra 320......................320MB/Sec <U320
.............................64bit\66MHz 532MB/Sec.......................................
.............................64bit\133MHz PCI-X 1.06GB/Sec.......................................

:rolleyes: must be goin senile

yes. Czar I CAN TAKE OVER NOW... muahhahahahaaaa....i is need all yer linkies! :cool:

Originally posted by DeepFreeze
yes. Czar I CAN TAKE OVER NOW... muahhahahahaaaa....i is need all yer linkies! :cool:

youll need more than that 160GB :p

besides you need to graduate to Bruhahahaha first ;)

Back