Worth going from 8086K to 9900K for gaming? May keep my ASUS TUF Board.

I wouldn't do it. I don't think you'd notice the difference for starters, and that chip is already binned by Intel. You should get 5Ghz on all cores pretty easily and at lower temperatures. The same can't always be said for the 9900K.

As long as your board is working for you, I wouldn't change that out either...

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it. I don't think you'd notice the difference for starters, and that chip is already binned by Intel. You should get 5Ghz on all cores pretty easily and at lower temperatures. The same can't always be said for the 9900K.

As long as your board is working for you, I wouldn't change that out either...

Every 9900K on a 360 AIO will do 5ghz no issues... in a AC controlled room, without I go down to 4.8 for my friends, made two profiles, this for winter and that for summer.
the 8700k's is far easier to handle when it comes to temperature especially when you pass the 30c ambient mark.

or just love a completely silent rig, the 9900K is a seriously hot cpu.

Keep your 8086k and OC it further. 5GHz on that chip is weak since they're all binned. Every one of those chips should do 5.2GHz+ with decent cooling.

The 9900k does run hot. I just picked one up and have it installed in a custom loop with 2 radiators (a 240 and a 360 both in push/pull) along with a 2080 Ti. Does 5GHz at relatively low voltage (1.27-1.28) but gets up to 75C on the hottest core during stress testing, even with low voltage and good cooling. The 2080 Ti meanwhile only hits 46C with a +125 offset for 2025MHz in Furmark and Firestrike.

Back