Worth considering a headphone amp with this setup?

Parja

[H]F Junkie
I just bought a pair of Audio Technica AD700s that I plan to use almost exclusively for gaming with a Creative X-Fi Titanium.

Would there be any significant gains to be had by getting a cheapish headphone amp to power them?

If so, which amps would you guys recommend?

the headphone amp would definitely give you more output.it depends on how loud you want to play it.whether or not you need one.

The AD700s are very easy to drive. I'd say try it first without, and then decide.

No. You are better off getting another pair of headphones or an external dac with an amp. Like a nuforce udac 2 or something like it. That, with the xfi set to audio creation mode, bit perfect playback, eax and headphone mode will give you a boost in sound quality for games, music, movies, whatever.

The AD700s are very easy to drive. I'd say try it first without, and then decide.

+1, these are easy load. Your sound card already has headphone out (amp) and most likely you wont need an amp unless you want them to play louder.

If you want to mess around with something cheap for that setup I would definitely recommend a CmoyBB amp. Better than a standard cmoy amp by a long shot and it's alot of fun to listen through.

You've got one of the easiest good quality headphone to drive. I own a pair, too, and can use them with almost anything. They do benefit from decent amplification (over, say, using them with my Clip), but anything more than that is overkill. My M-Audio Revolution 5.1 is plenty, for example. I'd save your money and use it on something else, as your sound card is almost certainly up to the task as well.

The AD700 does not need an amp. They sound their best already without one. I tried plugging my AD700 into my Little Dot I+ and I heard little to no difference in terms of sound quality.

Back