worried about my TRUE 120

jhinck1414

Limp Gawd
i must have bent hardware, my TRUE is reading on my Q9550 upwards of 8c difference on each core at idle.

Core 0 - 32
Core 1 - 24
Core 2 - 29
Core 3 - 28

currently using Real Temp 3.00

under full load i have noticed upwards of 10c.

I have remounted it a few times for, but i haven't seen even core temps.

am i correct with my bracket issues? is there another HS/F that may not have this issue as much? How does the CM 212+ compare to what i have? will i have mounting issues what that one as well?

thanks

If I were you I would lap your true. This is what I did with mine. oh yeah and add a thick washer between the mounting bracket and the top side of the base plate. to keep it nice an snug. http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/346819-pics-true-washer-mod-thingy.html
CIMG1543-1.jpg

Last edited:
What revision of the TRUE do you have. The new rev C. seems to have better mounting hardware and a better base. If you have the rev A.,like I do then, I really suggest you lap the base of the TRUE.

i bought it a year ago, so i will assume i have the first revision. i do have a small washer in between, i do have it lapped.

I guess now i am worried that i messed up the lapping.

How hard should the screws be to put on, mine has a washer, but is still loose enough to pivot a little.

after looking at the washer on the link, i may need a larger washer on mine. but at that point it is very hard to put the bracket on. it would need tons of force and worried i may be bending the mother board a bit.

i bought it a year ago, so i will assume i have the first revision. i do have a small washer in between, i do have it lapped.

I guess now i am worried that i messed up the lapping.

How hard should the screws be to put on, mine has a washer, but is still loose enough to pivot a little.

after looking at the washer on the link, i may need a larger washer on mine. but at that point it is very hard to put the bracket on. it would need tons of force and worried i may be bending the mother board a bit.

lapped and washer. okay..my washer was thick. like you mentioned before i could move the true back and forth. i added the washer and hand tighten the screws till i cant no more. yeah i think a thicker washer should do the job

wait your load temps are at what? vcore? cpu speed? is there always that gap between temps? consistent?

my load temps are at 43,36,37,38

and i am running at stock core voltage is at 1.208v, and running at stock 2.83ghz

should i worry about my cpu longterm if i leave it as is?
dude you are fine. what i do when I run my CPU's at stock speeds is I under volt them. An example is when I had an E6600 for my niece I left it at stock speeds @ 2.4 ghz. The stock cpu voltage was like 1.3xx dont remember exactly and I under volted to 1.1xx dont remember exactly but it reduced temps significantly. Just an idea but not a need. Just remember cpu's worst enemy is heat! If I were you id get an aftermarket (cheap poss used) cpu cooler if you are not happy with your temps. or if you want this pm me. Lapped TRUE 120
CIMG1543-1.jpg

CIMG2129.jpg

Last edited:
dude you are fine. what i do when I run my CPU's at stock speeds is I under volt them. An example is when I had an E6600 for my niece I left it at stock speeds @ 2.4 ghz. The stock cpu voltage was like 1.3xx dont remember exactly and I under volted to 1.1xx dont remember exactly but it reduced temps significantly. Just an idea but not a need. Just remember cpu's worst enemy is heat! If I were you id get an aftermarket (cheap poss used) cpu cooler if you are not happy with your temps. or if you want this pm me. Lapped TRUE 120

thanks for the offer, but i really dont think i need another lapped TRUE 120.

My main concern is just the difference between core 0 and 1, most of the time it is around 6 to 10 degrees different.

should i worry about my cpu longterm if i leave it as is?

Not in the least, your temps are normal, and 100% fine, variation in the cores is also normal, if it was not mounted right or had a really unflat base, then all the cores would be hotter. That low of temps the readings have a high error rate, under 50C it's very easy for the readings to be +/- 10C. So long as your temps stay about 10C (I like 20C...But that's just me) from TjMax (100C) you have nothing to worry about.

Back