WORKLOG: Project 614 - wireless router mod (56k = OK)

very cool, i like it... would have been nicer if you had used some thinner plexi and put the window inside the box, but meh, thats just me :p ... btw that is a PCMCIA card, a lot of wifi routers do that...

Originally posted by FLECOM
very cool, i like it... would have been nicer if you had used some thinner plexi and put the window inside the box, but meh, thats just me :p ... btw that is a PCMCIA card, a lot of wifi routers do that...
i considered it. i just happened to have a large sheet of 5mm acrilyc (yeah, just sitting around :)). i like it better - it's much heavier and adds to the weight of the chassis. it also looks much better that way - to me, that is. also, if i put the acrilyc on the inside, the unit would have 1) much smaller footprint, which would make it unstable if standing upright and 2) the window would've been embedded - the plastic the chassis is made of is pretty thick, and it would not look that good.

btw, didn't know of the PCMCIA cards - although now that i think about it, it makes sence for the to use it - you know, all that technology reuse stuff.

That's pretty sweet man, i really like that. Great job, nice creativity. Gives me some ideals, my Belkin wireless router need a paint job and some different LED colors despirately, doubt i'll do a window, but it all looks really sweet on your setup!

very very sweet.. i might have to buy a dlink just to do something like that for my lan party router.

kinda makes you wonder if you cant just slap in an 802.11g card in there.

probably not though!

Originally posted by _Sin_
kinda makes you wonder if you cant just slap in an 802.11g card in there.

probably not though!
why not? :) just mod the sucka in there! i've thought about that. i think it will work. i don't have an 802.11g laptop though, and won't for another year or two. by then it may be something else. but i'm pretty sure i can still stick a different PCB in there. so i might have to cut a few things, cover a few holes, maybe repaint it, etc... so what? - isn't that what life is all about? :)

That is just too sweet! Very nice job on the mod. Be really nice if you could just get a piece of acrylic or plexi, and replace the outside shell all together.

Love it, and love the thicker plexi, I'm with you, it gives the unit a much tougher look. Very clean.

The only thing you need to change are those vanilla CAT 5 cables coming out the back. Go invest in some black ones!! Or red, that would go well too!

One question thou, you covered up all the vent holes, does the plexi glass have some airspace to make up for that? I couldn't tell from the pics.

-Cheers

Wow.. very very nice. I should do that with my netgear wifi router. But I think I will let it remain new for at least a month.

Originally posted by namuraz
The only thing you need to change are those vanilla CAT 5 cables coming out the back. Go invest in some black ones!! Or red, that would go well too!
those are two 100-foot cables - do you know how much black cables would cost me?! yeah, i know, i could make those, but still. besides, they are there only temporarily.

in my defence, i saw my sysadmin at work using PINK cables! along with yellow and cyan ones... no, he's not even ghey... i don't get it...
One question thou, you covered up all the vent holes, does the plexi glass have some airspace to make up for that? I couldn't tell from the pics.
there are still vents on top and the bottom. the thing barely gets warm - i measured its temperature last night (and it runs 24x7, needless to say). it was ~27/28C, with the hottest spot being 31C, in a room with 24C ambient.

btw, i used a Raytek MiniTemp Laser Thermometer MT4 - highly recommend! :)

That's pretty cool, first time I've ever seen anyone mod something like that. Awesome work.

Wow... Very original mod and clean work. Personally, I like the way the LEDs light up the interior and I wouldn't worry about a 4 or 6 inch ccfl. I like having "highlights" in the lighting.

haha thats funny... :p

I just thought of something... I wish i had mod skillz like that because I'd put it on my desk and hide my PC and say that was it... and the pcmcia card is actually a 160gb hard drive, and make up all kinds of stuff about the nanotech processor using only a tiny ramsink for cooling... ;)

if i send you my router will you mod it for me! :D :D :D

Originally posted by Optional87
if i send you my router will you mod it for me! :D :D :D
sure thing! i may either have to charge you for it, or better yet - keep it to myself after i'm done... :) but if you want to pay me - sure thing - the sky is the limit. PM me if you are serious. hehehe...

Wow that is intense...More mods on that router than a lot of computer cases out there:D

Originally posted by codeflux
those are two 100-foot cables - do you know how much black cables would cost me?! yeah, i know, i could make those, but still. besides, they are there only temporarily.

Well, I could make you some in red, but if those are only temporary, then I guess I won't bother. :)

Originally posted by namuraz
Well, I could make you some in red, but if those are only temporary, then I guess I won't bother. :)
if it's not the pinkish-red but more like blood-red, sure, send 'em over! :D

Back