Working on my network give me advice PLZ!!!

RKBET

Weaksauce
What do you guys think of my list of hardware on the bottom.
If the pictures big sorry.

Heres the Questions If you want:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Servers and HTPC

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
If income tax is as high as last year I would say $1800 more or less

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Miami, FL

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Everything. Check my List on the bottom.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I have a Blu-Ray Reader still which I can throw into the HTPC

6) Will you be overclocking?
No

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
The Servers will share a 17" LCD and the HTPC will be plug into a 32" LCD TV via HDMI

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
When I get my income tax

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? etc.
I need onboard video for the firewall and web boxes. and the htpc i don't really know if i should use the onboard hdmi or get a video card with hdmi

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
If I have any money left I will get.

Firewall Build:
$364.93. What is not l shown is the DVD Drive which in most places is $20 more or less.
firewallbuild.jpg

Web Build:
$334.93. What is not l shown is the DVD Drive which in most places is $20 more or less.
webbuild.jpg

HTPC Build:
$290.95
htpcbuild.jpg

Total Cost is $990.81. I also need some stuff for my File Server and a Network Rackmount Switch which I'm still debating on. But there not that important at the moment. Also Harddrives are not listed do to prices but I'm going to wait till I get everything first before I go and get the hard drives. You never know when the prices will go up or down.

Anything I should change. I still have a month before income tax.

Now those 4U cases I can get locally but they will charge $85 per case. and the other parts I can get from Compusa if there cheaper. Well most of the stuff I can get locally what I can't get I will get from newegg. Why I chose 4U cases is because I have a 36U server Rack. I just want to fill it up.

Last edited:
Please reanswer question 9 for each of the three PCs to helps us better critique your mobo choices or help us choose a better mobo for you.

Off the bat though, for all three builds, the choice of PSU isn't a good one. The Antec EA-380D is a good PSU and would be more than enough power for all three builds. However it's only worth buying at $40 to $45 shipped. Any higher than that and you're getting ripped off as you can get these larger PSUs for less:
$48 - Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W PSU
$45 - Corsair 430CX V2 430W PSU

CPU wise, for the web and firewall builds, the AMD Athlon X2 260 isn't a good choice consdering that the cheaper Intel Celeron G530 will outperform it while using less power under load:
$52 - Intel Celeron G530 CPU

For the HTPC build, that VF6000BNS case isn't that good of a choice due its age, cooling capability, and noise levels for a HTPC. I recommend these better cooling, roomier, and quieter HTPC cases instead:
$100 - Silverstone GD04B mATX HTPC Case
$90 - Silverstone GD05B mATX HTPC Case

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
the earthwatts psu is $45 with free shipping for now. its not showing on the image because i cut it so it doesnt make the page to wide.

i have a bad first time with intel cpus.

meh the cases are nice.

I will give intel another try just have to find about the same motherboards that have the same pci and pci-e slots for both the motherboards above.

whats the difference between the 2 cases you pick

Back