Workgroup Woes. !

RuyZ

n00b
so im trying to setup a network between the three computers on my network, the other two computers see eachother in my network places, but the computer im on now when i click my network places it just comes up with a message that say "Work group is not accessable. you might not have the permission to use this network resource." and im logged into administrator, what could be blocking me??

another thing is on the other computers they see this one that gives me the error, but trying to acess them it asks for a password for the guest account, and the administrator password doesnt work for it.

help, please?! :)

If you on XP with SP2 and using windows firewall, make sure "File and Printer Sharing" is enabled under the firewall exceptions.

good luck

oldmx

Network Neighborhood? People still use that?

Anywho, check the firewall settings on the problem computer, and then try creating a folder, and sharing it to everyone. Then go to one of the other computers and see if you can get to it.

I find, at home, if I keep all local accounts the same username and password on each machine, it makes this process easier.

To summerize and elaborate:

- Make sure the firewall you're running is allowing you to see the LAN. In Windows firewall follow OldMX's advice. Make sure Norton Personal Firewall and/or McAfee (or any other potential firewall you may be running) are disabled if they are installed. A firewall is usually the culprit when you get the error that the workgroup is inaccessable.

-Make sure there is actually a folder shared on the computer you're trying to connect to. If there isn't a folder shared it will try to logon as the guest account which is disabled by default and which is most likely why you're getting the password prompt and nothing is working.

-Make sure Simple File Sharing is still enabled. Open any explorer window and go to Tools>Folder Options. Click on the View tab, scroll all the way to the bottom and make sure Use Simple File Sharing is checked.

I'm betting it's simple file sharing, enable it as recommended above.

Back