Woot: Pioneer VSX-1021-K / $289 / $5sh

Blazemore

[H]ard|Gawd
Today Woot has the Pioneer VSX-1021-K 7.1CH Receiver for $289 with 5sh. Nice mid-budget receiver with about all the options most will need. Have one myself and it's been great.

http://www.woot.com/

THANKS A BUNCH! Been out looking for a deal on this model specifically.

1 year warranty, 289 is a steal.

In for 1. I've been looking around for a receiver, since my Onkyo died and they want $$$ to replace it. This is a great option. I understand the video upconversion from analog isn't so great, but I only have two analog sources---wii and ps2---so it's not that big a deal for me.

I've been wanting to get a good 7.1 receiver... contemplating spending the money.. definitely an awesome deal.

well fuck, seriously? Alaska isn't in the list of states for mailing address. Lame.

Goood deal. I have been thinking about replacing my aging Pioneer receiver.....the one I use is so old it has no HDMI inputs or outputs!!:eek:

This one looks like the one to buy and the price sure is right, thanks for the tip.:)

Perfect. I've been looking for a receiver and this seems like a pretty good deal.

How much should one expect to spend on speakers for this thing in a room 22' x 78'?
It would be for an internet cafe. Mostly playing music. Not watching blu ray movies or anything.

How much should one expect to spend on speakers for this thing in a room 22' x 78'?
It would be for an internet cafe. Mostly playing music. Not watching blu ray movies or anything.

well that depends on how many speakers you are getting, and the kind of speakers you are getting.

well that depends on how many speakers you are getting, and the kind of speakers you are getting.

Yea, I wouldn't even know where to start to be honest.. Maybe Ill just post in the audio forums. Then again, I never liked getting made fun of for not minding my junk HTIB's sound.

In for 1. I've been looking around for a receiver, since my Onkyo died and they want $$$ to replace it. This is a great option. I understand the video upconversion from analog isn't so great, but I only have two analog sources---wii and ps2---so it's not that big a deal for me.

I have a Wii too and it's not that bad. Yes it can improve but not like people have played it out to be.

Yea, I wouldn't even know where to start to be honest.. Maybe Ill just post in the audio forums. Then again, I never liked getting made fun of for not minding my junk HTIB's sound.

If you want a mid budget, take a look at the Polk monitor series that are on sale every few months from Newegg.

Last edited:
I think eventually I will pair this with the Swan M50w. Any thoughts on those? I'm only interested in 2.1 or maybe 3.1 sound.

I think eventually I will pair this with the Swan M50w. Any thoughts on those? I'm only interested in 2.1 or maybe 3.1 sound.

This receiver would be over kill for those speakers alone.

I would just settle for an older receiver.

Also by the looks of it, it's already amped. A receiver would not be used for them.

This receiver would be over kill for those speakers alone.

I would just settle for an older receiver.

Also by the looks of it, it's already amped. A receiver would not be used for them.

Well, I already bought the receiver. I plan to run my cable, xbox and pc through it via HDMI. I'm not worried about maxing out the capabilities of the receiver now - I can always upgrade my speakers later.

I'm still looking at speakers and admit I know nothing about the tech or what I need, other than that I'm looking at bookshelf speakers and hopefully a sub. From talking with a friend, I guess I should be looking at passive speakers?

I'm not an audio guy by a large margin, and fit in with the few posters in here. That said, I tried out and love the new Pioneer speakers that are endorsed by some guy that I don't know. These speakers are by far the best I have owned, and I can definitely tell the difference between these and HTIB speakers I have used for years. I purchased these sets kinda piece by piece due to finances, but I have the whole set now hooked to my 1121 and they rock. Although I was never a believer in speaker "break in" periods, I did notice these Pioneer speakers did sound much better after about a week, specially the sub...

Well, I already bought the receiver. I plan to run my cable, xbox and pc through it via HDMI. I'm not worried about maxing out the capabilities of the receiver now - I can always upgrade my speakers later.

I'm still looking at speakers and admit I know nothing about the tech or what I need, other than that I'm looking at bookshelf speakers and hopefully a sub. From talking with a friend, I guess I should be looking at passive speakers?

Passive indeed. The speakers you listed are plug and play and don't require an amped source.

You should just look for a basic bookshelf speakers, and buying a sub seperately. Then you can hook up all your devices to it.

Newegg usually has good deals on some Polk speakers. Sometimes package discount deals.

Sold out... Bah, was going to buy it for my father in law for Christmas, his receiver is a piece of junk....

Great price for a good receiver. A pity this receiver does not come with pre-outs.

^^ this... the features are extremely nice but the amp section isn't too powerful.. that being said I love my 1020 as it just sips power compared to my old Yamaha that used to dim the lights when I turned it on. :p

Hell if it's just for an internet cafe just grab 3 pairs of Dayton B-652s from PartsExpress and the sub of your choice... if you even want a sub since it's going to just be playing background music. The speakers are bookshelf style but have keyholes for wall mounting or post mounting.

Yes, they are extremely cheap speakers but they sound pretty good for the extremely low price.

Alternatively for another low cost solution grab some Sony SS-B1000 pairs - they're another low cost bookshelf set that also sound great for the price (a bit brighter sound than the Dayton's above).

Or if you want floorstanding speakers (can't imagine them for an internet cafe though) check into the Sony SS-Fxxxx or the low end Polk stuff.

I just can't see spending a lot on speakers when they are going to be playing over (or under) the din of a noisy room. I'm sure if you wait long enough some self professed audiophine eliteist snob will come to blow smoke up your ass, but I'd rather tell it like it is and help someone save some cash. :)

Hell if it's just for an internet cafe just grab 3 pairs of Dayton B-652s from PartsExpress and the sub of your choice... if you even want a sub since it's going to just be playing background music. The speakers are bookshelf style but have keyholes for wall mounting or post mounting.

Yes, they are extremely cheap speakers but they sound pretty good for the extremely low price.

Alternatively for another low cost solution grab some Sony SS-B1000 pairs - they're another low cost bookshelf set that also sound great for the price (a bit brighter sound than the Dayton's above).

Or if you want floorstanding speakers (can't imagine them for an internet cafe though) check into the Sony SS-Fxxxx or the low end Polk stuff.

I just can't see spending a lot on speakers when they are going to be playing over (or under) the din of a noisy room. I'm sure if you wait long enough some self professed audiophine eliteist snob will come to blow smoke up your ass, but I'd rather tell it like it is and help someone save some cash. :)

Hell yea
Thanks, very helpful!

Looked at a couple more posts, woot(owned under amazon.com) is authorized seller of Pioneer products. So the 1 year warranty stands.

Phew!

yeah. varies a lot but usually something between pretty slow and very slow.

I own this unit, it's great. The ability to control via idevices is actually really cool. The auto calibrate works good. I'm actually running this unit with the pioneer andrew jones designed speakers and a velodyne sub. Sounds good to my ears.

Back